Dolch word list in Sign Language

thanks to you all for your input. I really do appreciate it. Sometimes with signing and communicating with my son I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place or in this case ASL and SEE. I need to communicate with my son but he also needs to learn English. The problem is that the focus of the schools is English literacy which I agree with in part. What I am learning is that I need both ASL and SEE so in ASL conversations I may not need much of this but in SEE conversations and to facilitate English I would. I hope that makes sense.

thanks to you all for your input. I really do appreciate it. Sometimes with signing and communicating with my son I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place or in this case ASL and SEE. I need to communicate with my son but he also needs to learn English. The problem is that the focus of the schools is English literacy which I agree with in part. What I am learning is that I need both ASL and SEE so in ASL conversations I may not need much of this but in SEE conversations and to facilitate English I would. I hope that makes sense.
Got it. :)

Probably all you need is a good signed English dictionary. Harris Communications has a selection of those.

why not some mouthing?

There's a research on it right now:Sign language speakers' hands, mouths operate separately

personally, I think reading aloud helped alot of hearing people, so I do wonder if cuing aloud as deaf people read help them as well. Just for reading so he knowledge that the "is" "an" "ing" is there.

But really, he need to interact with people on the computer that is for his age if you want him to have good literacy skills. Like club penguin for 8-10 years old (as long as he is able to use his own chat).

I'm suspecting I'll be encountering this as well RD. I'm already finding that I'm shifting a bit from ASL to signed English word order when reading stories to Li and hoping she'll start making the connections between the sign and the written words.

I'm suspecting I'll be encountering this as well RD. I'm already finding that I'm shifting a bit from ASL to signed English word order when reading stories to Li and hoping she'll start making the connections between the sign and the written words.

I will have to do the same here at home. I really want to learn to sign, but since the family won't learn, I will just sign in spoken word order so I don't forget the signs.

RD - I'd see if the Hoh/d/Deaf children's support services in your area has some people who can sit with you one on one (or as a family WITH the hoh/Deaf child present) and give you some techniques on how to teach literacy skills, read to etc to your child in a way that not only teaches reading and English but also ensure comprehension.

One way that I've seen taught as a means of teaching reading at a number of mini-clinics I've attended on the topic that really makes sense, and works is:

Make sure that the child can see the signers hands AND the written text on each page at the SAME time. This requires sitting slightly differently than hearing parents read to their hearing children - with small children using pillows is helpful either to prop up the child - or the book

Make sure that you always connect the words on each page with the signs AND any pictures. This allows the child to connect the Words with the Signs as well as with any corresponding images... this forms a better connection for visual learners (ie they may see the word "Apple" and then in their mind "overlap" a picture of "an apple" so when they see one, they remember the other ... adding the sign for APPLE to this creates three connections to the single "concept" of apple :)

The first time through a sentence/paragraph/page (for young children's books) sign the text using as close to English Order as possible ... add fingerspelling or borrow SEE signs to show parts of speech such as - a, the, as, it, etc as well as word endings - ing, ed, est, etc . Be aware that the child is likely NOT going to understand exactly what is being said during THIS FIRST read....

Then once the sentence(s)/paragraph have been read in "in ASL English" (my phrase) using SEE or finger spelling to clarify English grammar concepts - THEN start discussing in ASL what is happening on the page (related to the sentence). Have the child as involved in "helping explain the sentence" as possible.

Once the sentence/paragraph has been signed "in ASL English" then discussed - then resign the sentence/paragraph again using ASL - this way the child truly understands in a number of ways what the sentence/paragraph says.

Once this has been done - consider signing the sentence/paragraph again in the "ASL English" ... and if possible ask you child to HELP sign along with you (or point to the English words while you sign each one. This allows them to connect the sentence they "know" (from ASL, and discussion) with the ENGLISH version of the sentence that is being signed in "ASL English"

Although I don't know anyone who uses SEE for their everyday communication (even if they learned it 15+years ago in school) I do know a number of Hoh/Deaf parents who use it specifically to teach their children how to read. They keep all the ASL signs for objects etc (instead of using the SEE) however use English word order, initialize signs as needed/preferred, and use the SEE word endings etc to ensure that when reading the various grammar rules of English are able to be seen and taught to the children. ASL is used to clarify meanings, discuss what might be going on visually on the page etc - however when reading the actual story "ASL English" (my term) is used. If the child wants to use "ASL English" to describe or elaborate on what is happening in the story then that's great as well... it demonstrates that the child is learning the rules of English :)

This certainly isn't the "only way", however having learned and used this system at these mini reading clinics I can say that it really really makes sense and seem to me to be one of the best ways to teach English, ensure comprehension and engage with the child when reading ... because you're telling the story to the child, talking about the story and then re-telling the story together :)

I hope that might be useful :)

RD - I'd see if the Hoh/d/Deaf children's support services in your area has some people who can sit with you one on one (or as a family WITH the hoh/Deaf child present) and give you some techniques on how to teach literacy skills, read to etc to your child in a way that not only teaches reading and English but also ensure comprehension.

One way that I've seen taught as a means of teaching reading at a number of mini-clinics I've attended on the topic that really makes sense, and works is:

Make sure that the child can see the signers hands AND the written text on each page at the SAME time. This requires sitting slightly differently than hearing parents read to their hearing children - with small children using pillows is helpful either to prop up the child - or the book

Make sure that you always connect the words on each page with the signs AND any pictures. This allows the child to connect the Words with the Signs as well as with any corresponding images... this forms a better connection for visual learners (ie they may see the word "Apple" and then in their mind "overlap" a picture of "an apple" so when they see one, they remember the other ... adding the sign for APPLE to this creates three connections to the single "concept" of apple :)

The first time through a sentence/paragraph/page (for young children's books) sign the text using as close to English Order as possible ... add fingerspelling or borrow SEE signs to show parts of speech such as - a, the, as, it, etc as well as word endings - ing, ed, est, etc . Be aware that the child is likely NOT going to understand exactly what is being said during THIS FIRST read....

Then once the sentence(s)/paragraph have been read in "in ASL English" (my phrase) using SEE or finger spelling to clarify English grammar concepts - THEN start discussing in ASL what is happening on the page (related to the sentence). Have the child as involved in "helping explain the sentence" as possible.

Once the sentence/paragraph has been signed "in ASL English" then discussed - then resign the sentence/paragraph again using ASL - this way the child truly understands in a number of ways what the sentence/paragraph says.

Once this has been done - consider signing the sentence/paragraph again in the "ASL English" ... and if possible ask you child to HELP sign along with you (or point to the English words while you sign each one. This allows them to connect the sentence they "know" (from ASL, and discussion) with the ENGLISH version of the sentence that is being signed in "ASL English"

Although I don't know anyone who uses SEE for their everyday communication (even if they learned it 15+years ago in school) I do know a number of Hoh/Deaf parents who use it specifically to teach their children how to read. They keep all the ASL signs for objects etc (instead of using the SEE) however use English word order, initialize signs as needed/preferred, and use the SEE word endings etc to ensure that when reading the various grammar rules of English are able to be seen and taught to the children. ASL is used to clarify meanings, discuss what might be going on visually on the page etc - however when reading the actual story "ASL English" (my term) is used. If the child wants to use "ASL English" to describe or elaborate on what is happening in the story then that's great as well... it demonstrates that the child is learning the rules of English :)

This certainly isn't the "only way", however having learned and used this system at these mini reading clinics I can say that it really really makes sense and seem to me to be one of the best ways to teach English, ensure comprehension and engage with the child when reading ... because you're telling the story to the child, talking about the story and then re-telling the story together :)

I hope that might be useful :)

:gpost: (thank you, Anij!)

This is an older thread, but I just wanted to clarify that all of the sight words are in the SEE dictionary. My understanding is that SEE 1 (Signed Exact English) is not used much anymore. SEE 2 (Signing Exact English) is still used for different purposes, including teaching DHH children English. That us why it was created in the first place. We use SEE with our son, and it has been very beneficial for him. His language skills at this point surpass his age. We will be transitioning to ASL as he gets older and has a solid language base in English.

She will, and probably already has made that symbolic connection. But it doesn't have anything to do with word order.

WOW..You are the kind of parent every deaf child should have ...You always have been... I understand and totally agree with you...he does need English literacy...I know you will do what ever it takes..smile...Rock on...M

Answer: Fairview!!! It's an actual program that includes cards and videos of how to sign not only Adapted Dolch words but Bridges (phrases), too. You can order the materials online. Somewhere, I have tons of lesson plans posted on the Smart (Smartboard) website but I can't find it at the moment...need to go digging for it. You're welcome to use them as well.

Here's the link: FAIRVIEW LEARNING NETWORK // Products

Pssst, just for the record...I'm not advocating the program. I don't like a lot of the components of the program. But I had to use it for four years (no choice lol), so I'm more familiar with it than I care to admit. It is a resource that's out there, though. So here ya go.

Fairview

Please get in touch with me via aol email (TFcardio@aol.com or Teachy4U at alldeaf). I am very interested in discussing this with you and seeing some of those SB lessons.

Please get in touch with me via aol email (TFcardio@aol.com or Teachy4U at alldeaf). I am very interested in discussing this with you and seeing some of those SB lessons.

I just saw this message. What specifics do you need to know? Perhaps an open discussion of it on here would be more beneficial as I'm sure there are others who have had some experience with it as well.

Dolch Words

Hi there,

I know this is an old post, but thought I would share anyway. I have used the Fairvew program in my class and there are things that I like and dislike about it. I like the way it systematically teaches the words, for one, but I do not like that there are no pictures (other than what the student draws) to help them remember the signs.
What I did was to create a set of dolch cards that has a picture of a sign of the word on it so that students can recall the sign without having to go back to a video. Here is the link. Dolch Words in Sign Language -DeafEdHUb.comDeafEdHub.com

Back