Dolch word list in Sign Language

R

rockdrummer

Does anyone know where to find such a thing? I remember in one of my sign classes they played a video that was covering the Dolch words which I thought was very useful. Any help is appreciated.

I thought that many of those words (the very early ones at least) don't have exact translations?

The list includes: a, is, it, to, am, are, be, an, and has to tell the difference between things that are signed the same like "him" vs "her", "his" vs "hers" vs "your"

I thought that many of those words (the very early ones at least) don't have exact translations?

The list includes: a, is, it, to, am, are, be, an, and has to tell the difference between things that are signed the same like "him" vs "her", "his" vs "hers" vs "your"

Those signs would come from a SEE dictionary.

Yeah, those are the words, but he wants to know how to sign them.
Some of those words have signs, some don't.

It also depends on how they're being used. If you want the exact English word to be conveyed, it would be best to spell them. Otherwise, signed English signs (SEE) would fit most of them.

There are too many of them (over 200) to explain each one here and now.

thanks I was not looking for an explanation of all of the words nor do I wish to fingerspell. I was hoping to find a resource that showed the signs for each of them be it in ASL or SEE.

thanks I was not looking for an explanation of all of the words nor do I wish to fingerspell. I was hoping to find a resource that showed the signs for each of them be it in ASL or SEE.
How do you plan to use them? In conversation, or in an educational setting?

I meant, are you using them to teach English literacy to students, or to sign conversationally with other signers.

I'm pretty sure he means to teach himself...

I'm pretty sure he means to teach himself...
Yes, but for what use? If he's going to sign with other adults he'll want to use signs differently than if he's using them for English literacy.

Most of the signs I saw on the list can be found in regular sign language dictionaries. The rest that don't have signs can be spelled. Of course, in ASL conversations, many of them wouldn't even be used, such as the articles and to be forms.

I hope someone with expertise in this area can provide the answers that he's seeking.

Yes, but for what use? If he's going to sign with other adults he'll want to use signs differently than if he's using them for English literacy.

Most of the signs I saw on the list can be found in regular sign language dictionaries. The rest that don't have signs can be spelled. Of course, in ASL conversations, many of them wouldn't even be used, such as the articles and to be forms.

I hope someone with expertise in this area can provide the answers that he's seeking.

My memory's so bad but I think for him and his little boy.

My memory's so bad but I think for him and his little boy.
Ah, I see.

Maybe Shel or someone working in deaf ed has some resources.

Do you have any ideas?

Ah, I see.

Do you have any ideas?

Not really....until RD joins in. He's been here for at least a couple of years now and I am not sure where he is with his signing....

The issue is that while some of the words on the various Dolch lists have "standard ASL equivalents" (ie "jump, play,call, because etc) just as many do NOT have a form in ASL (a, am, the, is,) or uses the sign sign (with a clarifier) for more than one English word (can/could , will/would etc)

It sounds like what you are asking for is a "word for word/concept for concept" translation between English and ASL - which simply doesn't exist because they are two different languages (just like there is no "word for word" translation between English & French, German & Spanish, Chinese & Yiddish etc)

This is the reason we are suggesting fingerspelling the words that don't have specific ASL signs (I, am, is, the, hers, his, there, was, etc). Fingerspelling these words not only reinforces them as "sight words" (ie words you can spell without sounding them out) but also allows them to be "dropped" into sentences while reading books etc and have them be easily identified.

If you could clarify exactly what the goal is for these word sets perhaps we could help more ...

Keep in mind that whenever you attempt to translate one language into another it's never going to be "word for word" because each language has it's unique aspects when it comes to forming sentence structure, creating timelines/tenses (past, present, future, etc) how pronouns (or equivalents) are used how gender and neuter is applied (in French, Spanish etc).

Ah, I see.

Do you have any ideas?

The only thing I can think of is SEE I/II (specifically used for this application ie. learning parts of English speech) - but I don't think that would help either if I'm interpreting the actual question/intent of the OP correctly.

I only know a very very few people who use or and teach SEE I/II - and they only use it to specifically teach English. I don't know a single person who uses SEE I/II as their primary means of communication ... even if they learned it in school before learning ASL.

Back