Does CI affect some nerves?

Oh okay, I found it. Thank you!

Children and adults who are deaf or severely hard-of-hearing can be fitted for cochlear implants. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), as of December 2010, approximately 219,000 people worldwide have received implants. In the United States, roughly 42,600 adults and 28,400 children have received them.

I was going to say we are talking about children, but okay, let it be 70000.

See, that's the problem with a guess game.
Depending on what your view is, you can assume what you wish.

That is why I am not interested in opinions like:
"I heard", "someone told me", "I read somewhere" "could be"
because these are simply unreliable.

I am only interested in opinion of someone like Shel, or a parent,
who has a first hand experience with a CI child or children.
Only such person can (let's hope) give an accurate account of what's going on.

I found this piece:
Clinical relevance of the distance between the... [Otol Neurotol. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI

It's about what causes facial twitches, and what may fix it.
It's also from 2003, so I figure it's probably been taken care of, too:
Prevention could therefore be achieved by cochlear implantation designs and surgical techniques that take into consideration the site of closest contact.
2003 Sep;24.

and looks like at least an eye twitching problem indeed is solved by proper mapping, which was already mentioned earlier,
so it's not like it is permanent damage.
this from CI users, so it's from a reliable source:

It is amazing how our ci audi's can "tweak" our maps to help solve issues we have with our cochlear implants. I'm glad that your eye twitching is no longer an issue for you and that you have adjusted well to the new map. I wish you lots of future double ci joy when you become bilateral next month! with double ci joy, Margo

I am very, very glad to read that the eye twitching no longer exists. More happy days are headed your way.

Nucleus 5 User's Group

Hope that at least calms some worries about the nerve twitching and this 'damage'.

Fuzzy

Oh okay, I found it. Thank you!

Children and adults who are deaf or severely hard-of-hearing can be fitted for cochlear implants. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), as of December 2010, approximately 219,000 people worldwide have received implants. In the United States, roughly 42,600 adults and 28,400 children have received them.

I was going to say we are talking about children, but okay, let it be 70000.

See, that's the problem with a guess game.
Depending on what your view is, you can assume what you wish.

That is why I am not interested in opinions like:
"I heard", "someone told me", "I read somewhere" "could be"
because these are simply unreliable.

I am only interested in opinion of someone like Shel, or a parent,
who has a first hand experience with a CI child or children.
Only such person can (let's hope) give an accurate account of what's going on.

I found this piece:
Clinical relevance of the distance between the... [Otol Neurotol. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI

It's about what causes facial twitches, and what may fix it.
It's also from 2003, so I figure it's probably been taken care of, too:
Prevention could therefore be achieved by cochlear implantation designs and surgical techniques that take into consideration the site of closest contact.
2003 Sep;24.

and looks like at least an eye twitching problem indeed is solved by proper mapping, which was already mentioned earlier,
so it's not like it is permanent damage.
this from CI users, so it's from a reliable source:

It is amazing how our ci audi's can "tweak" our maps to help solve issues we have with our cochlear implants. I'm glad that your eye twitching is no longer an issue for you and that you have adjusted well to the new map. I wish you lots of future double ci joy when you become bilateral next month! with double ci joy, Margo

I am very, very glad to read that the eye twitching no longer exists. More happy days are headed your way.

Nucleus 5 User's Group

Hope that at least calms some worries about the nerve twitching and this 'damage'.

Fuzzy

Accuracy counts for a lot, Fuzzy.

Yes indeedy, it sure does. Asking for a sampling from some 10 people out of 70,000 is not an accurate representation. Hence the foolishness going on here.

Yeah, well, at least we know for sure about those 10 than nothing about the rest,
so in my book is better to know for sure about those 10 than to
wildly speculate about remaining 69990.

btw- this is how the myths and gossip is spread - by circulating unproven statements about things we don't know firsthand,
adding our own bias along the line.

Fuzzy

Yeah, well, at least we know for sure about those 10 than nothing about the rest,
so in my book is better to know for sure about those 10 than to wildly (LOL) speculate about remaining 69990.

But there ARE statistics on things that have gone wrong on some CI surgeries. Look them up yourself if you don't want to believe all of the rest of 69,990 are perfectly okay.

You were just looking to add fuel to a fire that doesn't need to start. The OP was asking if any children or adults have physical (nerve) damage to them resulting from a CI surgery. A mere 10 out of that many thousands (and, oh, you might as well factor in 100,000 since Rick wanted to prove me wrong on that) as a sampling is a joke, and hence why we could all see through you.

Notice nobody else is bothering to respond to your posts/requests? Because we all know we're right, that not all CI surgeries are perfect. Argue all you want; it'll be among yourself.

But there ARE statistics on things that have gone wrong on some CI surgeries. Look them up yourself if you don't want to believe all of the rest of 69,990 are perfectly okay.

You were just looking to add fuel to a fire that doesn't need to start. The OP was asking if any children or adults have physical (nerve) damage to them resulting from a CI surgery. A mere 10 out of that many thousands (and, oh, you might as well factor in 100,000 since Rick wanted to prove me wrong on that) as a sampling is a joke, and hence why we could all see through you.

Notice nobody else is bothering to respond to your posts/requests? Because we all know we're right, that not all CI surgeries are perfect. Argue all you want; it'll be among yourself.

Oh please.
And you honestly believe that just because Shel or you or I
can't see the remaining 69990 it is safe to assume that those are not okay?
Please, please. Without having a solid evidence, we can assume anything and everything under the sun until cows come home.

What is really interesting, however, is how Shel saw 10 and for those 10 out of 10, NONE had nerve damage.

I am not saying, oh no, by no means, that nerve damage never occurs.

(also, what matters here is important to differentiate between DAMAGE and STIMULATION)

It does happen (the damage), but IMO this occurrence is not that VERY common at all
and certainly going as far as to claim one loses the use of the entire arm
due to CI surgery is so farfetched is a fairly tale.

What is more common, is CI may yes, AFFECT some facial nerves - which is NOT the same as outright nerve DAMAGE.

The nerve may twitch due to overstimulating, but it will stop after proper mapping.

It is quite the same as attaching electrodes of some electrical contraption
to your bare skin and then increase the current
to make your muscles twitch.
The higher the current the bigger the twitch - BUT, once you remove electrodes, the twitch is gone.

Remember those facial wrinkle zappers?
here's an eye twitch:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izlsGSO3KZE]Wrinkle Zapper Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

"Damage" ? Hardly.

So, if I can't say for sure out of these 6990 all 100% people are okay,
or how many are and how many are not, and in what way,

likewise, let's not get carried away with this anti-CI propaganda also,
and trumpet left and right "yes, if your foot drags behind you
and you have incurable chronic diarrhea - it's CI nerve damage", okay?

Fuzzy

Bet it is very uncomfortable. poor them. Lucky them that they are not damaging them. but some of them are not.

Bet it is very uncomfortable. poor them. Lucky them that they are not damaging them. but some of them are not.

Yes, I can agree with that - it probably is uncomfortable, correctable though,
and some may have true nerve damage, not more common temporary stimulation.

Fuzzy

Yes, I can agree with that - it probably is uncomfortable, correctable though,
and some may have true nerve damage, not more common temporary stimulation.

Fuzzy

Nerve damage sucks Fuzzy. You should shut up if you haven't experienced it.

I have facial nerve paralysis.

And you are too chicken to get CI for fear of worsening migraines. You should stop trolling everybody else.

We have a tiny deaf community here. One of our members is a mid teen. Though this person likes and wanted the CI, this kid has an eye droop on the ci side. Is this something like you have a concern about?

Nerve damage sucks Fuzzy. You should shut up if you haven't experienced it.

I have facial nerve paralysis.

And you are too chicken to get CI for fear of worsening migraines. You should stop trolling everybody else.

I am very sorry to hear that.
You have it from CI?

And for the record, I am not belittling nerve damage.

I am saying let's not exaggerate and blame every little thing on CI.

Fuzzy

We have a tiny deaf community here. One of our members is a mid teen. Though this person likes and wanted the CI, this kid has an eye droop on the ci side. Is this something like you have a concern about?

If you are asking me, yes of course.
I never said nerve damage due to CI never ever happens.

I am saying some of the members have a knee jerk reaction when it comes
to CI, though, and like to blame it for everything from minor acne to the octuplets.
And that's not right.

Fuzzy

You have it from CI?

Fuzzy

exaggerate? Surgery means CUT the skin and nerves.

You have it from CI?

Fuzzy

You are ridiculous. I have it coincidentally from damage to the cochlear vestibular nerve. They are really close together, and it is quite common.

I wish for biblical justice for you.

You are ridiculous. I have it coincidentally from damage to the cochlear vestibular nerve. They are really close together, and it is quite common.

No kidding. At no time were were blaming EVERYTHING on CIs. We were simply saying SOME issues do happen as a result of CIs.

I provided links as to how many have CIs (70,000 people as of December 2010); and there are stats out there (which apparently some choose to ignore or not bother to look up) that show that there are some CI-related issues. And, oddly enough, all this flapping of the mouth/hands came from someone not even interested in a CI.

Ridiculous, yes. Trolling, yes.

You mean you wish AudioFuzzy to meet hotdefman? :D

Back to the stone age for punishment?

Back