does anyone know of any services for the deaf in Portland Oregon?

katie2d

Reaction score
Does anyone know the names of places in Portland Oregon that help the deaf community? I am specifically looking for organizations that interpret for the deaf in court, etc. I have a friend moving there and he is looking for a job and housing. He is currently a sign language teacher.

I live in Portland, Ore - PM me and I ll be happy to give you information :)

I live in Portland, Ore - PM me and I ll be happy to give you information :)

Last time I hear Deaf service in Portland are on budget freeze which more like make limited service. *shurg* Maybe it's old news and I'm stupid, I think.

Thanks Brian. I will check those out and then talk to my friend about them.

Gemma, I am sorry I don't know what PM is or how to do it. I would love to get in contact with you though, so please explain. Thanks

Power on, you are not stupid. Stop that. I appreciate your trying to help me and if you think of anything, please tell me.

Power on, you are not stupid. Stop that. I appreciate your trying to help me and if you think of anything, please tell me.

ha. I only know about two place in Portland but I forget what name title it was. I'm sure you can find on yellowpage at online.

yep. it make rules to halt from have those scammer send PM which was annoying. Gemma should give the link or contract. Hello gemma?

Ahh good thing I checked this thread out - Katie, can you tell me exactly what he is looking for? Is he deaf or hearing? Is he looking for interpreting jobs and potential rommates?

Tell him to check out deaforegon.com then click on Calendar of Events - it has all such information but I will be more than happy to expand on some of them if need more explicit information.

Thanks again you guys/gals. He is deaf, is currently teaching at two colleges down here, and not communicating with me at this time. He's mad at me. I will tell him about this stuff though, in a few days when things are calmer. I am going to ask a real dumb question and I hope I don't offend anyone but are all deaf guys flakey? I am madly in love with this guy, but he always flakes on me. And no, I am not planning on moving to Oregon if that is what you are all thinking.

Also if you drive across the bridge to Vancouver, Washington (my location), which are just on the border with Portland, there's a Deaf School (Washington School for the Deaf, WSD) including the Deaf Store which called Southwest Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (SWCDHH) and also there's lot of deaf events and services around Portland also. Finding deaf friends seems not that hard if you try get involve with some of the community. Good luck :)

move to portland?

My husband and I are contemplating a move out to Portland. I am an interpreter but would like to find out about how big the Deaf community is in Portland? Do you know if there would be alot of interpreting jobs (especially free lance) in the Portland area, other than the VRS? I would like to work in VRS but if there are also several agencies that have freelance interpreters, I would be curious as to how large the Deaf community is.

My husband and I are contemplating a move out to Portland. I am an interpreter but would like to find out about how big the Deaf community is in Portland? Do you know if there would be alot of interpreting jobs (especially free lance) in the Portland area, other than the VRS? I would like to work in VRS but if there are also several agencies that have freelance interpreters, I would be curious as to how large the Deaf community is.

For sure, we are screaming for more free lance interpreters! I am sick of waiting for availability of interpreters for many situations as most have gone to work for either Sorenson or HOVRS! PM me if you want more information on agencies that you can sign up with.

Also if you drive across the bridge to Vancouver, Washington (my location), which are just on the border with Portland, there's a Deaf School (Washington School for the Deaf, WSD) including the Deaf Store which called Southwest Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (SWCDHH) and also there's lot of deaf events and services around Portland also. Finding deaf friends seems not that hard if you try get involve with some of the community. Good luck :)

Why is WSD doing in Vancouver? Can't it being held in Olympia or somewhere else? Because it's feel closer to Salem.

Back