Does anyone else here enjoy words?

ember

Reaction score
I love words and using games that play on words or etymology all together! I know I am a nerd.

Here is a play of words:

If I invited a group of actors to dinner what would I serve them?

Rolls! :giggle:

I do enjoy them and the clever ways they can be used. I wish I lived back in the 1800 romantic period, (I don't know that I would be able to enjoy it for I am sure I would have been a slave, servant or still in Africa :giggle:) but I would have loved to have the quick witty conversations of those days. One of my favorite lines from a favorite movie, "may I ask why you answer with so little civility"... who talks like that anymore *sigh*

I do enjoy them and the clever ways they can be used. I wish I lived back in the 1800 romantic period, (I don't know that I would be able to enjoy it for I am sure I would have been a slave, servant or still in Africa :giggle:) but I would have loved to have the quick witty conversations of those days. One of my favorite lines from a favorite movie, "may I ask why you answer with so little civility"... who talks like that anymore *sigh*

Expand your circle of friends and you may be pleasantly surprised. :)

I don't have a small circle of friends I have friends all types intellectual levels, view points, races, shapes,sizes, etc... unless should I have the pleasure of making any new deaf friends and they talk that way

People still try to talk refined, especially those who have acquired advanced degrees and are working on professional studies. These people tend to have to give speeches at special events and give presentations. This happens often enough that their speech turns 'professional' rather than using slang or a dialect not commonly used in business.

People still try to talk refined, especially those who have acquired advanced degrees and are working on professional studies. These people tend to have to give speeches at special events and give presentations. This happens often enough that their speech turns 'professional' rather than using slang or a dialect not commonly used in business.

Yes but these refined people are not my kind of people I am more down to earth and casual (I work in pajamas) so I wouldn't fit into their circle. I could keep up with them in conversation but it would be boring conversation and they would look down their nose to me. If I have a choice between a designer dress to wear to a gala with a dinner that sells $5000 plates or ripped jeans, a baby T that says "I'll be your huckleberry", with canvas tennis shoes to watch a baseball game. I say take me out to the ballgame!!!!

Yes but these refined people are not my kind of people I am more down to earth and casual (I work in pajamas) so I wouldn't fit into their circle. I could keep up with them in conversation but it would be boring conversation and they would look down their nose to me. If I have a choice between a designer dress to wear to a gala with a dinner that sells $5000 plates or ripped jeans, a baby T that says "I'll be your huckleberry", with canvas tennis shoes to watch a baseball game. I say take me out to the ballgame!!!!

You would be surprised at how many PhD people have in common with us peons. My history professor had a PhD in American History with an emphasis on the Civil War. He duck hunts and we had many a good conversation about honey holes. He could get down and cuss like a pirate like the rest of us.

Another friend who has a PhD in Geology and is a department head at a university in Tennessee literally grew up dirt poor as that is all he has ever known. He gets paid a nice salary and has been on scholarship the majority of his academic career and yet he wears Walmart brand shoes and still has a thick 'Dutch Creek Accent'. In his free time, he boxes, usually sparring with friends at the gym. He's had his nose busted twice and continues to do it as a hobby. His wife is an air force enlistment.

My comp professor was a PhD in English Literature and also came from a working class background. She would cuss like a sailor in front of the class. Her husband was a Ph.D in British Theatre. His favorite hobby outside of writing plays was fishing.

Another friend of mine who is currently working on his PhD in Theology is a video game fanatic. Yes he tries to use big words to show off his genius but I have reminded him on more than one occasion that he speaks Spanish like a Mexican and speaks English like a Dutch Creeker. He also enjoys helping his dad on the farm when he is in town on school breaks and has an odd sense of humor. The only thing stereotypical of him as far as PhD goes is that yes he is from a very wealthy family (their wealth is nearly gone now as their company has gone belly up.) He drives a 1997 Toyota Camry, his wife is the one that drives a new Suburban.

Those with PhD's can be just as normal as you and I.

You would be surprised at how many PhD people have in common with us peons. My history professor had a PhD in American History with an emphasis on the Civil War. He duck hunts and we had many a good conversation about honey holes. He could get down and cuss like a pirate like the rest of us.

Another friend who has a PhD in Geology and is a department head at a university in Tennessee literally grew up dirt poor as that is all he has ever known. He gets paid a nice salary and has been on scholarship the majority of his academic career and yet he wears Walmart brand shoes and still has a thick 'Dutch Creek Accent'. In his free time, he boxes, usually sparring with friends at the gym. He's had his nose busted twice and continues to do it as a hobby. His wife is an air force enlistment.

My comp professor was a PhD in English Literature and also came from a working class background. She would cuss like a sailor in front of the class. Her husband was a Ph.D in British Theatre. His favorite hobby outside of writing plays was fishing.

Another friend of mine who is currently working on his PhD in Theology is a video game fanatic. Yes he tries to use big words to show off his genius but I have reminded him on more than one occasion that he speaks Spanish like a Mexican and speaks English like a Dutch Creeker. He also enjoys helping his dad on the farm when he is in town on school breaks and has an odd sense of humor. The only thing stereotypical of him as far as PhD goes is that yes he is from a very wealthy family (their wealth is nearly gone now as their company has gone belly up.) He drives a 1997 Toyota Camry, his wife is the one that drives a new Suburban.

Those with PhD's can be just as normal as you and I.

Oh wow they sound like fun, I have met only one PhD in my time that was my type of person, first he was my A&P teacher and we became friends he is bust being a teacher so we don't hang out much but he gave me hope in the PhD society!

See? You just have to strip away all the fancy names and titles and get right down to the real person. Usually that person is someone very interesting. :)

Expand your circle of friends and you may be pleasantly surprised. :)

I agree..laughing..my hearing friends are always telling me I speak like someone from a movie?? sorry I guess it"s because of the writer in me..lol..I agree there are some VERY bright and articulate people here in AD.
I LOVE words and have spent so much research time finding their roots and how to use them in a proper format. Also ..I have a new friends Ms Librarian..lol,,who probably will drop me from her friends list now..sorry..but i am sure she is a plethera of information...yes let"s play word games..M♥♥♥

Here is a play of words:

If I invited a group of actors to dinner what would I serve them?

Rolls! :giggle:

Laughing...that is very cute. and apprapro...I was thinking of HAM since most are..smile..but then again thats being judgemental. Somthing I try noever t be...so Rolls it is...YAY...:wave:

Polonius: What do you read, my lord?
Hamlet: Words, words, words.

Laughing...that is very cute. and apprapro...I was thinking of HAM since most are..smile..but then again thats being judgemental. Somthing I try noever t be...so Rolls it is...YAY...:wave:

I have another silly one :giggle:

What would you serve if you invited a group of doctors who specialize in fertility?

Eggplant!
:giggle:

I am a silly goof ball and a dorky one at that!!

I like word games and stories. My mom often likes to tell her story about the time I had a really big temper tantrum to avoid leaving the library as a young kid. I loved books and reading very young and would gesture/point to get across that I wanted her to read a book to me, or get a book and so on <I spoke very late>. We went to the library together a lot; sometimes my mom would take me and sometimes my dad. So one day my mom and her friend also with a young child, the library all of us went together. My mom and the other party were ready to leave. I didn't want to go; my mom ended up carrying me out of the building:giggle:

When my kid was a toddler and still in his high chair, he took his bread roll, said "roll" and rolled it across his tray while giggling. It started early with him. lol

@Midnight Sun....I would never drop someone for something so silly. While I may be a librarian (and a PhD student) believe me...I don't take myself seriously. I'm a beer drinking, truck driver talking, poker playing, bacon luvin', clumsy, silly person. Don't let the "librarian" image fool ya one bit!

"Rolls and ham! Rolls and ham!" he squealed. :lol:

Back