Do you want to visit Russia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They might be shy because of speak in foreign languages? :hmm:

:lol: Probably, or maybe they are used with the Russian culture and doesn't understand the American's culture while the parents and my friend was older enough to understand :dunno:

because of USSR? I remember and it was really very harsh that I had seen during USSR time.
The Ukrainians resent the Russians. When Ukraine was part of the USSR, the Russians took advantage of the fertile Ukrainian farms for themselves. Now, Ukrainians want to stay independent from Russia or any other future unification.

The Ukrainians resent the Russians. When Ukraine was part of the USSR, the Russians took advantage of the fertile Ukrainian farms for themselves. Now, Ukrainians want to stay independent from Russia or any other future unification.

Right, My former Ukraine friends told me about independent farming. but Ukraine require petroleum at cheap price from Russia.

Right, My former Ukraine friends told me about independent farming. but Ukraine require petroleum at cheap price from Russia.
When Hubby was in Ukraine, he noticed how the people got gas for their cars. They didn't have gas stations. They always kept empty containers (any kind, not just safe gas cans) in their cars. Whenever they saw a gas tanker truck stopped on the road, they would pull over and buy gas from the trucker. They didn't put the gas directly from the tanker into their car's gas tank. They took the can of gas home, then filtered it thru a cloth, then into the car. If they didn't do that, the contamination in the gas would ruin their engines. They kept gas in cans in the house, garage, yard, trunk, whatever. Totally unsafe.

When Hubby was in Ukraine, he noticed how the people got gas for their cars. They didn't have gas stations. They always kept empty containers (any kind, not just safe gas cans) in their cars. Whenever they saw a gas tanker truck stopped on the road, they would pull over and buy gas from the trucker. They didn't put the gas directly from the tanker into their car's gas tank. They took the can of gas home, then filtered it thru a cloth, then into the car. If they didn't do that, the contamination in the gas would ruin their engines. They kept gas in cans in the house, garage, yard, trunk, whatever. Totally unsafe.

Awful story about gas.
What city of Ukraine was your husband before?

my several friends and his families moved from Odessa near Black Sea. Your husband is deaf?
No, he is hearing but he can sign (not fluent but OK for casual conversation). He went to Ukraine on a missionary construction project. One of the other team members was our deaf friend. While they were in Ukraine they went one day to visit a class of deaf elementary students at a public school. It was very interesting but sad also. The kids weren't allowed to use sign language until high school. They had almost no school supplies or equipment, and no playground. :(

No, he is hearing but he can sign (not fluent but OK for casual conversation). He went to Ukraine on a missionary construction project. One of the other team members was our deaf friend. While they were in Ukraine they went one day to visit a class of deaf elementary students at a public school. It was very interesting but sad also. The kids weren't allowed to use sign language until high school. They had almost no school supplies or equipment, and no playground. :(

Wow. My friend's son is deaf and 12 years old. He was very happy to live in US and loves Texas School for the Deaf in Austin. TSD is better education and equipment than Odessa school for the Deaf. Odessa school didn't have computers and no supplies. too bad. He missed favorite sport of soccer. TSD don't have soccer league.

So my friend told me that suppose to visit St. Petersburg sometimes but I don't decide yet.

Благодарите Вас! :ty:

you are correct. Jeans in foreign countries are very expensive. That's why whenever there is riot, they raid clothing stores for jeans.

Yes, Also the fabric of the jeans itself is a lot more sacred there than it is here in America.

Wow. My friend's son is deaf and 12 years old. He was very happy to live in US and loves Texas School for the Deaf in Austin. TSD is better education and equipment than Odessa school for the Deaf. Odessa school didn't have computers and no supplies. too bad. He missed favorite sport of soccer. TSD don't have soccer league.

So my friend told me that suppose to visit St. Petersburg sometimes but I don't decide yet.

Благодарите Вас! :ty:
You're welcome. :)

Actually, Russia country had been isolated for so many years. The government controls all media news in the country. Russians had no way to find out what's the news and technologies out there.

I don't know about now because Putin controls his country that made him very wealthy. Probably, many Russian people don't like him anymore because of his two different submarine accidents, and he refused to let the internationals to rescue the Russian sailors.

All I know that anyone in Russia still cannot be allowed to discuss in political issues and Patin's personal life. Otherwise, they will be in jailed for a long time.

Oh yup, that's very sad history.

When I was read about history in USSR, it make me so disappointed at USSR, however USSR has been collapsed in last 17 years ago and it's over now but their history would almost never forgot.

Actually, Russia country had been isolated for so many years. The government controls all media news in the country. Russians had no way to find out what's the news and technologies out there.

I don't know about now because Putin controls his country that made him very wealthy. Probably, many Russian people don't like him anymore because of his two different submarine accidents, and he refused to let the internationals to rescue the Russian sailors.

All I know that anyone in Russia still cannot be allowed to discuss in political issues and Patin's personal life. Otherwise, they will be in jailed for a long time.

Not really, Putin has no power to control Russians, Russia is very different in government system than USSR does.

Not really, Putin has no power to control Russians, Russia is very different in government system than USSR does.

he does. that's what Medveder is for. To use his presidential power for his gain. That's why people are calling him The Next Czar.

he does. that's what Medveder is for. To use his presidential power for his gain. That's why people are calling him The Next Czar.

I means he has no power to control the media, news, anti-Putin protest, etc.

If he did then won't surprised and what up with freedom of speech.

I means he has no power to control the media, news, anti-Putin protest, etc.

If he did then won't surprised and what up with freedom of speech.

technically - he doesn't but he can if he wants to. That's why people especially American government is wary of him since he's running the country like Russian mafia.

Yes, I would love to visit Russia one day... I learn about Russia's history and culture and find very interesting... My youngest son alway want to go there since he is very interesting about Russia's history.

I sure do - have read everything dating back to Peter the Great over and over -am a huge history freak so would love to visit Russia one day.

Yes, it's not just Peter the Great, but Cathrine the Great and Nicholas and Alexandra and Russia's history as well.

No, but I would give it a try and check those Russian dolls out! :)

I have Russian doll here... (I am tradition doll collectors). I bought Russian doll from my Russian friend at years ago.

My best friend told me that his family never go to any fast foods, only rare go to the resturants, mostly eat at home and also they tend to have family living together. I remember they gave me the fish eggs to eat, and it was interesting, also sweet ;)

Yes, fish eggs called "caviar". Caviar sell in Russia very cheaply than in Europe countries. I love to decorate caviar on the top of Deviled Eggs... mmmhhhh...

Originally Posted by Reba
The people were shy at first but very hospitable. They weren't used to American friendliness with strangers.

That's very true, I think most of European people tend to not really friendly with the strangers, like they don't smile at you if you smile at them. My friend's family was shy to meet me at the first time and doesn't even smile except for the parents till they finally getting know me.

Depend on American's character, manner and sterotype... also mentailty as well... that's how Europeans judge...

Many Europeans are careful and judge the people first before get know them better then... Europeans are friendly when they warm up with strangers, they meet at Hotel, bar, etc.

I am not type person to jump to be friendly to strangers to the public because I don't know them and don't want to lead them wrong head and think I seduce them...

I remember when I first met US soliders at work... I was friendly to them... Guess what? My friendly got them wrong head... flirt with me... and ask me for date... :eek3: I told them that I'm sorry that I'm married woman. It's not first time... that's why I am polite friendly toward them when I see them... and to make sure that I won't lead them wrong head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back