Votes: 22 32.8%
  • I have really no idea

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
Mookie said:
PRE-Sister,

Tell me about it. what was the cost for the basic calculator that you saw first time in your life? I was a little kid at 8 while you probably were hot young sexy...
I don't remember the exact cost; I just remember that it seemed very expensive at the time. It was fairly thick (like a deck of cards) and had only basic operations. My younger brother (geek) bought it for me.

Ahem...I was a married mom at the time; you'd have to ask my Hubby about that. :D

I enjoy working on numbers in math but when it comes to ratio or leading negative in algebra -- I have some struggles in it because I kept forgetting theres leading negative which u have to change. Actually I'm in Interidmate algebra class now. :) I'm still considering to take more algerbra in the future. I just love working with numbers.

Another math geek

I've had some wonderful teachers over the years. Even with MANY years between HS and college, I still made straight A's in college. It was taking the five classes for the one credit that I really needed (College Algebra) that PO'ed me to no end. I watch the TV show 'Numbers' when I can and enjoy it. Part of my internship was tutoring and student teaching a Deaf Math class.

The chairman of my ITP was talking to students for orientation and mentioned that 15-20 more students could have graduated from the program, but were one class short. LM heard me say "Interpreting 3" and then said it was actually College Algebra that was stopping them. These students had finished all the ITP classes and passed the State Board, but algebra kept them from getting their degrees. Amazing!

ITPjohn said:
I've had some wonderful teachers over the years. Even with MANY years between HS and college, I still made straight A's in college. It was taking the five classes for the one credit that I really needed (College Algebra) that PO'ed me to no end. I watch the TV show 'Numbers' when I can and enjoy it. Part of my internship was tutoring and student teaching a Deaf Math class.

The chairman of my ITP was talking to students for orientation and mentioned that 15-20 more students could have graduated from the program, but were one class short. LM heard me say "Interpreting 3" and then said it was actually College Algebra that was stopping them. These students had finished all the ITP classes and passed the State Board, but algebra kept them from getting their degrees. Amazing!

You know what's funny? I've been incredibly fortunate to have had interpreters who had Engineering degrees. I'm not quite sure how I would have plucked so much from my Calculus lectures if it wasn't for those interpreters!

Then again, I live in the academic hub of my state, no surprise we've got overeducated people here!

Everyone ....

What's your favorite thing, concept, or equation you've seen in math?

Mine so far is:

integral.gif
cos(x) dx = sin(x) + C

It's beautiful! *Drools*

Or if you like the visual, try Lyapunov fractals:
180px-Lyapunov_fractal_1.png
180px-Lyapunov_fractal_2.png

Endymion said:
Everyone ....

Mine so far is:

integral.gif
cos(x) dx = sin(x) + C

It's beautiful! *Drools*

Uhh.. endymoin.. what the heck is that? Calculus (sp)?

I hate hate hate hate Math.. As far as I can get is 2 + 2 .. oh i know the multiplications and division... I failed Algebra so forget it.. I guess I can say I'm best at English than Math...

I hate math class but... I passed all basic Algebra, Geometry and immediate Algebra. I have no math class for senior year.

RebelGirl said:

I hate hate hate hate Math.. As far as I can get is 2 + 2 .. oh i know the multiplications and division... I failed Algebra so forget it.. I guess I can say I'm best at English than Math...

Yep, it's calculus. The part with the cos(x) dx and sin(x) + C, that is.

The Lyapunov fractals are not really a part of calculus. They are a LOT of fun to play with though. You make pretty art with fractals. Have you seen the Mandelbrot fractal?

mandelbrot.gif

More visual math fun -- Pascal's Triangle!

mod2-127d.gif

You can even make hearts with algebra and trigonometry, except this time we use something called polar coordinates instead of the regular x and y ones we use:

Ch11-8.gif

r = 2 + 2 cos (theta)

You can somewhat say R is like Y and "theta" is like X.

RebelGirl said:

Wow, many rednecks don't doing well in math class but... they got nothing from high school. :shock:

Hi Endymion,

Are you aware that Albert Einstein did not invent the mathemical formula of the E=mc2

There was an Italian mathemican that figured this out before Einstein ever did.

I am trying to remember the name of the Italian mathemican? Thank you

Endymion said:
Yep, it's calculus. The part with the cos(x) dx and sin(x) + C, that is.

The Lyapunov fractals are not really a part of calculus. They are a LOT of fun to play with though. You make pretty art with fractals. Have you seen the Mandelbrot fractal?

mandelbrot.gif

More visual math fun -- Pascal's Triangle!

mod2-127d.gif

You can even make hearts with algebra and trigonometry, except this time we use something called polar coordinates instead of the regular x and y ones we use:

Ch11-8.gif

r = 2 + 2 cos (theta)

You can somewhat say R is like Y and "theta" is like X.

I don't think I want to see that again.. its too confusing! :eek2: or you can be my tutor but we'll have to go with the basic math first then go on.. :mrgreen: just kidding..

TrippLA said:
Wow, many rednecks don't doing well in math class but... they got nothing from high school. :shock:

Well, I can say I'm good at English, P.E. and Spelling.. I may be a redneck but doesn't mean I'm not smart. I just dislike Math, it has never been my favorite subject so I always try to avoid Math as much as I can.

P.E. was always my favorite, I was so looking forward for P.E. back in school. I'm just an athletic that likes to do sports. What can I say? :dunno:

RebelGirl said:
Well, I can say I'm good at English, P.E. and Spelling.. I may be a redneck but doesn't mean I'm not smart. I just dislike Math, it has never been my favorite subject so I always try to avoid Math as much as I can.

P.E. was always my favorite, I was so looking forward for P.E. back in school. I'm just an athletic that likes to do sports. What can I say? :dunno:

I just kiddin with u. :roll:

again, ur and rednecks are smart enough than neo-nazi gangs in CA.

RebelGirl said:
I don't think I want to see that again.. its too confusing! :eek2: or you can be my tutor but we'll have to go with the basic math first then go on.. :mrgreen: just kidding..

LOL math can be crazy sometimes. I've noticed some of my math friends haven't had dates since the time of the caveman!

Except they date other mathematicians, which is a good thing I guess. ;)

You know what's scary? I've had years of math, and I still have nowhere near enough for what I need. I had a finance professor (he had a DBA, which is a "PhD" in Business Administration) who told me the same thing too. He pointed to all the math books on his shelf and said, "Even I need more math training."

Oh, and I love P.E. too. Easiest grade in high school and LOTS of fun!

Mookie said:
You got a "C"? I bet you did not know that there were some answers in the back of math text book.

Honest, I did not know about the answers in back until freshmen in high school. Thanks a lot to stupid classmates for not showing me earlier :fu2:

The answers don't help you, if you don't know how to arrive at them. That was my problem! I had the answers in the back of the book, but I just stared at them not knowing how the heck they got the answers. Looking at the back of the book was no help to me.

Heath said:
Hi Endymion,

Are you aware that Albert Einstein did not invent the mathemical formula of the E=mc2

There was an Italian mathemican that figured this out before Einstein ever did.

I am trying to remember the name of the Italian mathemican? Thank you

No, I didn't know that an Italian discovered the the E=MC^2 identity before Einstein. I do know that Max Planck and JJ Thomson are said to have come up with the equation independently, though.

Before Einstein, I know that Poincare (French), Pretto (Italian) and even the likes of Newton all contributed work that helped Einstein come up with E=MC^2.

Endymion said:
Everyone ....

Mine so far is:

integral.gif
cos(x) dx = sin(x) + C

It's beautiful! *Drools*

Can we shoot you? :lol:

Sorry. Calculus is just waaaay over my head, and I generally feel this way about all math enthusiasts who throw complicated stuff at me. I just want to shoot you all! :lol:

But, you're right. It is a pretty snazzy picture! ;)

Oceanbreeze said:
The answers don't help you, if you don't know how to arrive at them. That was my problem! I had the answers in the back of the book, but I just stared at them not knowing how the heck they got the answers. Looking at the back of the book was no help to me.

I know what you mean. I always bought the solutions manual, if the book had one. Then I would never pay attention in class anyway and just work on problems. ;)

Back