Do You Keep Lights On All Night?

We never really put gifts out early, but keep them in the garage or the attic until Christmas Eve, but this year, we did not put them in the attic or garage and there was no where else to keep them so they are under the tree early. The only one not there is son's new bike. It's in the garage. Also, daughter's stuffed white Bengal tiger is not wrapped, and it sitting on the love seat. This is a HUGE tiger. 40 inches long.

We don't usually put our gifts under the tree until Christmas Eve.

Yeah that is what do here then they go out to a party! Some people do put their gifts under the tree day before Christmas . When people see a Christmas tree with lights on they know there has to be gifts in the house.
I think a person should be able to do whatever they want with their tree, but there are people that case houses. And you should break up boxes that TV and xboxes etc came in and put them in a trash bag, people check out you trash cans after the holiday to see what you got for gifts! The cops told people around here to do this.

I rather turn it off to play it safe each night. My xmas tree is real.

Same here.

Last Friday, a deaf elderly lady and I joined other deaf senior citizens to go to the field trip - Christmas Festival of Lights in Attleboro, MA. Wow... there are 300,000 Xmas lights everywhere, that covers 10 acres of 75-acre property. They are so beautiful.
Here is their website: Christmas Festival of Lights

We turn on the indoor Christmas lights at dark, and turn them off when we go to bed.

The outdoor Christmas lights are connected to our outdoor light timer that we use year-round for our Flag light. That stays on all night. Our lights are up only four weeks per year, so it's not bad.

The rest of the time, all my other outdoor landscape lights are solar powered, except for our security lights, which only come on when motion is detected.

Wow... they are so beautiful. :ty: for sharing! :)

Lol, call me old-fashioned but it irks me to no end when lights, Christmas or otherwise, are burning in an empty room!

We live in a flat where all utilities are paid for and I still make sure all lights are off/the taps are tightened.

It's an ingrained thing, watching my parents doing this and it's something my sisters and I do at each other's houses as well.

nope. I unplug my lights/tree when I go to bed. If they lights were left on all night, the electric bill goes up.

We turn our tree lights on at dark and turn them off when we go to bed. We have our tree up only two weeks. We will be taking it down New Year's Weekend.

If you take the plug apart, you will find a fuse there. So, that means even if the strings were shorted then that fuse inside that plug will blow, thus cut off the circuit. Only idiots would bypass that fuse.

Granted; now a question: Is it possible for today's "safer" lights to have a short somewhere along the line?

You need to re-calculate and your math does not seem right.

Keyword "Kilo" which means a thousand. 8 cents per KWH is equals to 8 cents per 1,000 watts usage in an hour.

Lets put this way, 2 watts per string, 250 equals to 10 strings, multiply that by 2 because it is 2 watts per string, which would yield 20 watts for that 250 LED lights, multiply 20 watts by 24 (hours) then multiply by 30 which comes to 14,440 watt hours, since the charge is per kilowatt hour, so divide 14,440 watts by 1,000 which result 14.44 KWH times 8 cents equals.... one dollar and 16 cents for whole month. That formula is how electric companies charge for electricity.

Check your math again!

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry TOUR: BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.57 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Just so you know, if the string of 25 LED lights were 2 watts, a 250 count being on 24/7 for 30 days (december). It would cost the home owner one hundred fifteen cents based on 8 cent per kilowatt.

They are not as pretty when not turned on!! I like pretty lights and shiny things... :giggle: No seriously I turn them off at night I am afraid my tree will catch fire, talk about a bad Christmas why risk it.

They are not as pretty when not turned on!! I like pretty lights and shiny things... :giggle: No seriously I turn them off at night I am afraid my tree will catch fire, talk about a bad Christmas why risk it.

safe your tree because your watch on fire on bd Christmas lol

We had a house fire when I was a kid because of christmas lights, so I am very cautious. I especially am careful when using numerous strands of lights strung together or with extension cords. Those things can increase the risk of fire.

Back