Do You Keep Lights On All Night?

Same here.. I turn them off when I am gone and when I go to bed.. My tree is real. Loaded with pine sap and oil... Best to turn it off when No one is in the room to view them.. as well a Lit up Christmas tree at night in the windows also attracts robbers that are lurking to break in to steal presents.

yes. I was thinking the same thing. Our tree is in front of the big window.

It depends on the lights.

LED lights are cooler and don't generate much heat.

If you're worried about forgetting to turn it off, you can always get a timer. It's those little things with a dial on it. It has a bunch of switches for all 24 hours. You set the on/off times, then plug it in. Next, you plug in the lights to that device. Now, it will turn on/off the lights at the assigned times.

Also good for traveling if you don't want people to think no one was home while you were gone for vacation or something. :)

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 3.1; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

I always turn christmas tree lights off when I go to bed. :)

Our lights get turned off at night by order of the town council. They must be off no later than 11pm. We turn them on around 5:30 while it's still mostly daylight and turn them off around 10pm.

We don't have a "tree" up this year. No room in the house. We are using a little ceramic tree that has little lights all over. It's 18 inches high. This year was MIL's decorations, next year is my decorations in the house and her's outside.

Nope, do you have electric clock? They use about 2 watts, should cost 150 dollars a month just for a clock? Nope, you mis-calculate them. 1KWH equals 1,000 watts hour.

There are only 720 hours a month So if a watt of a device that stays on for whole month, it equals .72KWH miltiple this by 8 cents equals 5.8 cents, so for every watt that left on 24/7 for a month would cost measly 6 cents a month.

I miscalculate the last time sorry about it, however I know it is not much of cost.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry TOUR: BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.57 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Just so you know, if the string of 25 LED lights were 2 watts, a 250 count being on 24/7 for 30 days (december). It would cost the home owner one hundred fifteen cents based on 8 cent per kilowatt.

Our outside Christmas lights are only on for a two hour period. Our inside ones are on until the last person goes to bed.

Do the environment a favour, guys, and turn off your lights throughout the night. :)

If your kids say that Santa needs to be able to see your house, say that there was a newscast earlier that night where Santa told everyone that he wanted people to be environmentally-friendly. :P

I have been using my white candles on my Christmas tree for my family generations. By the way, what year it is now? :scratch:

I forgot all about my LED Christmas lights! I'll better search it now before I go to bed. Thanks for reminding me that one.

We turn our lights out before bed. We have an artificial tree, but we also have older lights, so it's best to be safe than sorry!

Did you know that a string of 25 LED x mas tree draws less than 2 watts, that is far less than ordinary night light. Cost a thousands? Your must be joking, If these LED light stay lit 24 hours for a month, then it will cost only one tenth of a cent! So having 250 LED light may cost only a penny in a month. That is for average of 8 cents per Kilowatt in an hour.

I already know about LEDs...what I'm talking about 50,000 lights of different varieties, not a strand or a few strands.

All lights are off when we go to bed except for porch lights....our light bill is outrageous!...We leave our Xmas outdoor lighted display on for about 2 hours nightly, then cut them off.

Lol, call me old-fashioned but it irks me to no end when lights, Christmas or otherwise, are burning in an empty room!
In his later years, my dad became paranoid (years of drinking did it). He insisted that all lights in his apartment be kept on 24/7. That included the light in the oven! (His electricity was included in the rent.)

Also, because his electricity was included in the rent, he wanted his money's worth and kept the heat blasting during the winter. When we visited him, we kept sparking each other because the static electricity was so bad from the dry heated air. As soon as I stepped out of the shower and towel dried, my hair (which is thick) was completely dry. He had one little plant on his table. He poured 16 oz. of water into it each day because it dried out. It was awful!

He grew up poor on a farm in Indiana during the Depression, so you would think he would be more thrifty. Nope.

We turn on the indoor Christmas lights at dark, and turn them off when we go to bed.

The outdoor Christmas lights are connected to our outdoor light timer that we use year-round for our Flag light. That stays on all night. Our lights are up only four weeks per year, so it's not bad.

The rest of the time, all my other outdoor landscape lights are solar powered, except for our security lights, which only come on when motion is detected.

Attachments

• frontyardlights1.jpg
    frontyardlights1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
We decorate the outside and inside of house on Thanksgiving weekend. All lights are turned on by 5pm starting December 1st. They get turned off at midnight. On New Years weekend we will take them all down. MIL's electric goes up about $100-$150 for the month of December. We decorate 2 lots.

We turn on the indoor Christmas lights at dark, and turn them off when we go to bed.

The outdoor Christmas lights are connected to our outdoor light timer that we use year-round for our Flag light. That stays on all night. Our lights are up only four weeks per year, so it's not bad.

The rest of the time, all my other outdoor landscape lights are solar powered, except for our security lights, which only come on when motion is detected.

Wow! that looks nice :)

I think it crazy to keep the lights on all night and if you have your gifts all wrapped up that would really feed a fire ! I think it is really dumb how some people set up their tree in front of a huge window or sliding door and put all their gifts under it then turn on the lights .Then leave the curtains wide open so everyone can see it! They go out to a party and come home 4 hours later and find out they been robbed! I have heard of this happening a lot.

I think it crazy to keep the lights on all night and if you have your gifts all wrapped up that would really feed a fire ! I think it is really dumb how some people set up their tree in front of a huge window or sliding door and put all their gifts under it then turn on the lights .Then leave the curtains wide open so everyone can see it! They go out to a party and come home 4 hours later and find out they been robbed! I have heard of this happening a lot.
We don't usually put our gifts under the tree until Christmas Eve.

That is a nice display, also a nice house too! Where I live, it is so far back up into the woods it is pointless to put up Christmas lights on the house.

When my brother and I were little, we lived in a house right on the highway. For years we begged dad to put up Christmas lights on the house. Finally one year he had enough of us whining about it. So he picked the coldest day of the week and had us out there in 30 degree temps stringing Christmas tree lights on the house. He wouldn't let us go back in to warm up until we were finished. How much did we do? Just the front porch. But we had to do it dads way which is very very meticulous and methodical. It took us about two hours to string the lights on our small front porch which was maybe 4ft by 8ft? When we got done, we decided right then we wanted no part of Christmas lights, we found out it was too much work and too difficult. The after Christmas he made us go out and take them down, of course in his very methodical approach to make sure we remembered the lesson. After that we no longer even thought about putting up Christmas lights.

So, here's my thought on Christmas lights - they are fun and pretty as long as they are on someone else's house and I didn't have to put them up!

Back