Do you have a contingency plan?

Hi, Reba! Historically speaking, a solar setup for houses, say, 2,000 sq feet, has been cost prohibitive if that is a concern. I looked into it years ago and the ROI for me wouldn't have happened in my lifetime. But with increased attention to that technology, the manufacturing costs have gone down and government credits are offered so chances are pretty good for folks just starting out. Maybe we should look into it again, nevertheless.
Yes, the upfront costs are prohibitive. I keep checking every couple years to see if the prices go down enough. Just like computers and other technology--very expensive in the beginning but cheaper as more competition develops.

I agree. The first day after Hurricane Hugo, we all ate like kings. We and our neighbors pooled resources and emptied out freezers. Everything was cooked on grills. Hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken, steaks....

It was the next two weeks that were rough.

same here after Hurricane Charley. Had a group of friends and we all had one huge BBQ.

and the rest was rough.

Motorcycles577.jpg

Motorcycles629.jpg

Look up "Brevard fault" and Georgia Gold Belt ;)

I live an hour from Dahlonegha and know the location of every gold mine in Georgia.

I'll bring my gold pan.

By the way....I read today that Riverside is the number 1 place for job growth in the country......Basically if you are in the Southwest you are in good shape....If you are in the northeast you are in for tough times

Not nearly as often as I'd like. There's two things I can do for hours on end: Fish and pan for gold. Sounds like you do, too. Dry or wet?

I have only dry panned once. I went to a friend's wedding in Phoenix and stayed with family while I was there. My family is in Prescott Valley and the Lynx Creek Gold Prospect was right across the street.

I used to pan with a close friend whom has terminal cancer. He owned his own construction business and decided he was going to live out the remainder of his life prospecting. He left for California with his dredge, truck and the clothes on his back.

He found ... literally .... an ounce a day. He now has a fully loaded RV towing his truck and is in Nevada prospecting there.

Here he is demonstrating his dredge (he is hearing):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTvxmNR1OJc[/ame]

By the way....I read today that Riverside is the number 1 place for job growth in the country......Basically if you are in the Southwest you are in good shape....If you are in the northeast you are in for tough times

Yeah, re: the IE; its been said time and time again that our region is/was the fastest growing region in the country but now with the economy tanked, I dunno unless you read this area will continue as before when things get better.

Oh, btw, tonight we drove over to EZ Burger Take Out in Yorba Linda and I have to say they'd have to be my back up when I can't find an In n Out joint but yeah, they were good. I think I already mentioned something about the owner. He's franchising now. 25K franchise fee and 5% monthly royalties.

Thanks for alerting us to EZ and the info on the IE.

Meet in the NWT?

NWT?

Hell...I'm all for survival trips and learning things. It would benefit us in the long run.

While I have read the entire thread front to back, the main thing from these posts are: anything can happen, the main thing is to survive.

What are we going to do if months past us by and we are not where we are today? With electricity, clean water, food, roof over our head and so on.

Gardening is a good option....

what about meat? Will we still be able to have milk, eggs, beef, pork, chicken?

That's why I am prepared to fish for my food, to gather foods in the wild, to eat bugs. To hunt for my meat. :D

Take after the Native Indians, tribes all over the nation learned to make use of EVERYTHING, even with the remains of animals. The bones for tools of all types, bladder and stomachs for water, skin for clothing. Tee Pees. They lived off the land and some tribes still hold to those values to this day.

Thats the main thing. While it's all good and dandy to have solar panels, generators, and so on and so forth, what are we going to do if they no longer work?

What if we are under the cover of darkness and cannot have sunlight for years? Plants will die, then animals, then humans.

There are all sorts of scenarios.

Honestly in the end....we may end up kissing our asses goodbye.

But in the meantime, if I am still alive, and until I die...I will survive.

(Why did the song 'I will survive!' just popped into my mind????)

Look up "Brevard fault" and Georgia Gold Belt ;)

I live an hour from Dahlonegha and know the location of every gold mine in Georgia.

I'll look it up. Those were good finds! I never got much more than dust and a few flakes that had another precious metal adhered to them...can't think of the name right now....oh! platinum.

Your friend sounds like quite the adventuresome one. I wish I had that kind of time and wherewithal do do lots more of this stuff.

NWT?

Hell...I'm all for survival trips and learning things. It would benefit us in the long run.

While I have read the entire thread front to back, the main thing from these posts are: anything can happen, the main thing is to survive.

What are we going to do if months past us by and we are not where we are today? With electricity, clean water, food, roof over our head and so on.

Gardening is a good option....

what about meat? Will we still be able to have milk, eggs, beef, pork, chicken?

That's why I am prepared to fish for my food, to gather foods in the wild, to eat bugs. To hunt for my meat. :D

Take after the Native Indians, tribes all over the nation learned to make use of EVERYTHING, even with the remains of animals. The bones for tools of all types, bladder and stomachs for water, skin for clothing. Tee Pees. They lived off the land and some tribes still hold to those values to this day.

Thats the main thing. While it's all good and dandy to have solar panels, generators, and so on and so forth, what are we going to do if they no longer work?

What if we are under the cover of darkness and cannot have sunlight for years? Plants will die, then animals, then humans.

There are all sorts of scenarios.

Honestly in the end....we may end up kissing our asses goodbye.

But in the meantime, if I am still alive, and until I die...I will survive.

(Why did the song 'I will survive!' just popped into my mind????)

Do you know how to make a snare?

Snares are your "meat gathering device" ;)

Yeah, re: the IE; its been said time and time again that our region is/was the fastest growing region in the country but now with the economy tanked, I dunno unless you read this area will continue as before when things get better.

Oh, btw, tonight we drove over to EZ Burger Take Out in Yorba Linda and I have to say they'd have to be my back up when I can't find an In n Out joint but yeah, they were good. I think I already mentioned something about the owner. He's franchising now. 25K franchise fee and 5% monthly royalties.

Thanks for alerting us to EZ and the info on the IE.

Glad it was still good.....:hmm: Franchise you say???

I'll look it up. Those were good finds! I never got much more than dust and a few flakes that had another precious metal adhered to them...can't think of the name right now....oh! platinum.

Your friend sounds like quite the adventuresome one. I wish I had that kind of time and wherewithal do do lots more of this stuff.

Yeah - he inspired us all (I am a member of a panning group in my area - I am the baby - oldest member is 87).

Back