Do you guys embrace your hearing loss/deafness?!

What kind are you getting? I'm wondering if it will take a while to get used to them, after not wearing them for so long. (Has it been a long time?)

Anyway, congrats! What a nice Christmas present!

I does have many of DEAF PRIDE. I am not ashame to be deaf profound bec I has happy life, grown up in beautiful deaf community and enjoying my native language ASL, and making many deaf friend from all over world

What kind are you getting? I'm wondering if it will take a while to get used to them, after not wearing them for so long. (Has it been a long time?)

Anyway, congrats! What a nice Christmas present!

The last time I had a HA on was early 2001 and it was one of the first digitals they came out with. It was a Siemens. I am getting the CROS technology one from Starkey Hearing Foundation as recommended by my audiologist. One side you have a receiver, and on the other side is that actual HA. The HA gives my hearing ear a boost and it also relays sound from the reciever that are one my deaf side. Not sure how this is going to work, but we will see.

and i forgotten add that i never worn hearing aid or cochlea implant. i am enjoy peaceful and no sound living in silent world with deaf. my parents both profound deaf and they is taught me that i not need force myself be hearing. bec the world have deaf community and i am feeling comfortable with deafs accept me who i am. hearing people whine and show me pity "ohhhh poor adri cant hear, she need hearing aid and ci" is so annoy!!!!!!!

When I was young I was self conscious.
Now my Naida is bright blue, but I like everything to have color. I doesn't affect me much one way or the other, but I am in the baby boom generation, and I have noticed when I am out with my husband , some baby boomers want to show me they have a hearing aids too! When I was young I was self conscious.

:P I am amazed at the tiny size of some of these. So it's kind of becoming a fashion for hearing baby boomers who lost a little hearing from age.

When I was young I was self conscious.
Now my Naida is bright blue, but I like everything to have color. I doesn't affect me much one way or the other, but I am in the baby boom generation, and I have noticed when I am out with my husband , some baby boomers want to show me they have a hearing aids too! When I was young I was self conscious.

:P I am amazed at the tiny size of some of these. So it's kind of becoming a fashion for hearing baby boomers who lost a little hearing from age.

They're just jealous that you've been the cool kid all along! :D

Are you guys happy to show people your hearing aids, or cochlear or not? Do you mind tying up your hair to reveal your HA or CI? Do have coloured hearing aids etc? Do you like having a hearing loss? Does it make you feel unique? Etc.
C'mon guys, inspire me!:)

My HA is in plain sight.

I accept my hearing loss although I love listening with my HA. I'm deaf but I see myself as hard of hearing, too. Or if people get picky about it I'm just a guy who happens to have a hearing loss.

Does it make me feel unique? Hmm.....not really. I'm just one of the 36 million people with hearing loss. Perhaps I'm "unique" in the sense I have done things differently as a hh/deaf person if that's any help.

I remember growing up I was totally ashamed to be Deaf. Hated it. Now I wear purple hearing aids, sign, and am just in general VERY proud to be Deaf!

Why not, there’s nothing to be ashamed of anyway. That certain thing helps a lot so be proud of it. I don’t mind other people; they can have their own if they wanted.:dj:

Are you guys happy to show people your hearing aids, or cochlear or not? Do you mind tying up your hair to reveal your HA or CI? Do have coloured hearing aids etc? Do you like having a hearing loss? Does it make you feel unique? Etc.
C'mon guys, inspire me!:)

My answer to your question Hannah Louise is that I am very affected by how people around me treat me. Because my deafness caused me to be treated badly by the hearing people around me (usually unintentionally but still very painful & shaming) I didn't like showing people my hearing aids, I didn't like having a hearing loss and I didn't like feeling unique. The tombstone on this misery was that I unconsciously believed this bad treatment was my fault for being born deaf and different from hearing people (i.e. "disabled").

The turning point was realising that my misery was due to how hearing people treated me. If they had made an effort to allow for my hearing loss and not treat me, consciously or not, as inferior to themselves I would have been happy. This realisation has now put me on a new path to find contentment in being the unique person I am, which includes accepting my deafness. Personally I find this very difficult, but I try to not care about not fitting into the hearing dominated society I live in. The most important thing is that I treat everyone with care & respect (hearing, deaf and myself) and not think of myself (or anybody else) as an inferior human being. I want to love people who are different from me, and in return I expect to be loved even though I'm different from them. I know that the reality is that many people can't/won't do this, but if they can't, then I know it's their disability not mine.

I am totally at peace with who I am!

I don't have a problem with people noticing my HAs, but I do have a problem, when they touch them and ask what that thing is.

when i was growing, and always wore the body hearing aid. I did not care if they have seen me. my friend's dad made the cool body hearing aid harnesss that was made of leather and my name on it. you know how popular in 1970's for the leather wrist band with name or cigerette box or anything. I wore the leather body hearing harness and loved it! i wish i still have it but it isnt.

I never show anyone to identify that I am deaf or hoh just be normal as every1 does.

I embrace it now, I didnt when it first started happening (losing my hearing.) I met a group of people on the internet that showed me I had nothing to feel scared about :D If I wear my hear up people see my HA's if I wear it down they ask why I say "what" a lot either way they know hahaha ahhh well :)

I embrase my deafness now. I don't mind when people see my HA's (when I'm wearing them... which isn't even close to 50% of the time any more) I don't mind when people see me sign, in public... I'm trying to go more and more voice off! the only time I really am using my voice is at work (because I have to)... and at home (same reason). I am happiest when I am signing, not reading lips, and have no HA's on, and I am very Proud to be Deaf... the hearing world needs to change, not me.

I'm ok with it, as long as I can still hear something with my hearing aid (and soon CI). I know I wouldn't be able to tolerate being 100% deaf 24/7, I'd go crazy from the silence. I like hearing noise! But that's just me. I've got a red hearing aid, and when I get the CI for the left ear, I'm sure I'll be showing that off too.

Back