Do you feel that hearing teachers restrict Deaf children in learning?

Congrats to your brother Shel! I know that ya'll are really close. You're so lucky to have such a great brother!

Thank you..yes, we are very veyr close.

I agree that the system in Deaf Schools needs to raise the bar on expectations!

It truely depends on how passionated the teachers are. The Deaf school I attended always had small classes. Perhaps less than 15 students. Give or take. Teachers have more time to work with the students.

Again it falls back on the system. And the teachers regardless of hearing status.

I agree that the system in Deaf Schools needs to raise the bar on expectations!

It truely depends on how passionated the teachers are. The Deaf school I attended always had small classes. Perhaps less than 15 students. Give or take. Teachers have more time to work with the students.

Again it falls back on the system. And the teachers regardless of hearing status.

I know that many Deaf schools have already raised the bar a long time ago. I am pretty sure all of them have by now.

I know that many Deaf schools have already raised the bar a long time ago. I am pretty sure all of them have by now.

I agree that some schools have.

It also falls back on the parents and how society treats deaf children. Many of them lead a child to believe they are crippled into not learning.

So self esteem also falls into it.
A child being raised in society that pities deaf children and lead them to believe that they can not succeed. Is just as harmful.

So this is why I love the phrase "Deaf can do!"

I just can't imagine for the life of me why on earth a teacher would go to a deaf school to teach but then not have compassion and empathy for teaching deaf kids.

I just can't imagine for the life of me why on earth a teacher would go to a deaf school to teach but then not have compassion and empathy for teaching deaf kids.

well, I think most go because they hope they can make them more like themselves. Spoken English.

and some just rather teach them how to be independent like they do for people with down syndrome or Austism.

They have compassion and empathy but it is for the wrong reasons. I have seen too many teachers like that and they really do not help at all. They usually come across as seeing themselves as saviors of deaf children. Deaf children do not need people like that.

In mainstreamed cases, I believe that teachers want to intervene and teach children to be tolerant. Today, many teachers are so overwhelmed that they don't really have time to do it. Class sizes are big and sometimes it's just crowd control, especially at the secondary level. Most bullying takes place outside the classroom (i.e., in the hallways). It helps if the administration takes responsibility for discipline and helping students, but that doesn't always happen.

Wow, this question went into so many different avenues. It is indeed heartbreaking to see how the children at this school is being treated. So much emphasis is put on building Language, which is important. But is there a way to build language without neglecting other areas of growth and development. My interpreter has deaf children. One of her sons attend the school where I am working. She is planning to pull him and mainstream him because he is in the fifth grade getting homework that my 1st graders are getting. She also mentioned that her son received more challenging homework in the 4th grade. She herself is fed up with how many teachers are restricting the learning of Deaf children. Her two older children are mainstreamed with interpreters so she has her routine pretty much set.

In mainstreamed cases, I believe that teachers want to intervene and teach children to be tolerant. Today, many teachers are so overwhelmed that they don't really have time to do it. Class sizes are big and sometimes it's just crowd control, especially at the secondary level. Most bullying takes place outside the classroom (i.e., in the hallways). It helps if the administration takes responsibility for discipline and helping students, but that doesn't always happen.

I can vouch for that.

Wow, this question went into so many different avenues. It is indeed heartbreaking to see how the children at this school is being treated. So much emphasis is put on building Language, which is important. But is there a way to build language without neglecting other areas of growth and development. My interpreter has deaf children. One of her sons attend the school where I am working. She is planning to pull him and mainstream him because he is in the fifth grade getting homework that my 1st graders are getting. She also mentioned that her son received more challenging homework in the 4th grade. She herself is fed up with how many teachers are restricting the learning of Deaf children. Her two older children are mainstreamed with interpreters so she has her routine pretty much set.

mainstreamed is no better. He will still be left out. Miss out and sit in the class doing nothing. Unless he have an interpreter.

And they put deaf people in LD classes (or special education) if there are no program for the deaf.

I work as a teacher at a Deaf school and we teach using the public school curriculm. I teach 4th grade math, science, social studies to my 4th graders.

mainstreamed is no better. He will still be left out. Miss out and sit in the class doing nothing. Unless he have an interpreter.

The story of my life being mainstreamed. Was left out and wasnt really challenged like my hearing peers were because the teachers felt sorry for me.

I had the same problem in a deaf school in 60's. I doubt that things have improved at that school besides allowing ASL. When I read online about a teacher who admitted that she gave a student an A (English) eventhough there are many mistakes, it really upsets me because the teacher didn't do the student any favor. I have been trying to find out who sets the curriculum. I suspect it is a hearing person who really had no or very little knowlege of deaf people. If it is a board of directors for the school, then how does one get on the board???

A few of my classmates attended to a deaf school and also mainstreamed to the local public school along with an interpretor. All while living in the dorm.

I guess it depends on the IEP.

But I would love to see Deaf schools to provide the same education as the mainstream from the get go.

Early learning is the key!

I agree with Shel about the BiBi program.

Wow as in how some people claim that deaf schools are the best place for deaf kids. From what you said I get the impression that it depends.

Ok. It seems I disagree with those who claim deaf schools are superior in quality. I think that stance can hurt deaf schools, as it prevents more quality control and demands for more system changes, as deaf schools are the BEST PLACE TO BE AFTER ALL. My viewpoint is no support for mainstreaming children. If a deaf school have a lousy teacher, I would ask the school to change teacher as it's a violation of the leave no child behind act to provide savior type teachers with crap ASL, or I would move to another school, most probably, the school where Shel90 works :)

If that's the case, greetings! It's really important to discuss those topics so we can understand where the system fails and how to improve it, IMHO.

Keep up the great work.

Ok. It seems I disagree with those who claim deaf schools are superior in quality. I think that stance can hurt deaf schools, as it prevents more quality control and demands for more system changes, as deaf schools are the BEST PLACE TO BE AFTER ALL. My viewpoint is no support for mainstreaming children. If a deaf school have a lousy teacher, I would ask the school to change teacher as it's a violation of the leave no child behind act to provide savior type teachers with crap ASL, or I would move to another school, most probably, the school where Shel90 works :)

like in another thread, NCLB does not apply to deaf children: http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-news/59...nts-where-attend-high-school.html#post1526014

Wow as in how some people claim that deaf schools are the best place for deaf kids. From what you said I get the impression that it depends.

Deaf schools are the best places for the deaf kids as they need to be with other deaf kids. Who run the Deaf Education? The hearing people. They need to hand it back to the Deaf people.

Back