Do you feel that hearing teachers restrict Deaf children in learning?

Good news, Hubby fixed our dishwasher. Now, I can buy a web cam. I'm going to my first ASL social tonight. I'm nervous! :eek2: Wish me luck! :cool2:

Good luck. :wave:

I do not understand why you or a lot of posters think NCLB does not apply to deaf children when in fact, it DOES. It is a good law that requires the same academic standards for everyone (including disabilities). It mandates a certain proficiency level in English, Reading and Math for everyone (deaf included).

The NCLB was authorized in 2002 as Public Law 107-110 to:

Raise the academic achievement of all students up to age 21, regardless of race, ethnicity, socio-economic status, proficiency level in English and/or disability;

Close the achievement gap which continues to pervade the educational system.

The responsibility for overall student achievement under the NCLB rests on the academic institution, the school system, and the state. This is where the problem is now....how to implement NCLB when educating the deaf children. The implementation is as diverse as opinions on how to educate deaf children.

I do not understand why you or a lot of posters think NCLB does not apply to deaf children when in fact, it DOES. It is a good law that requires the same academic standards for everyone (including disabilities). It mandates a certain proficiency level in English, Reading and Math for everyone (deaf included).

Raise the academic achievement of all students up to age 21, regardless of race, ethnicity, socio-economic status, proficiency level in English and/or disability;

The responsibility for overall student achievement under the NCLB rests on the academic institution, the school system, and the state. This is where the problem is now....how to implement NCLB when educating the deaf children. The implementation is as diverse as opinions on how to educate deaf children.

the poster before me was referring to teachers who lower their standard when it come to teaching the deaf. He thought this was breaking NCLB. I was just saying the strict standard doesn't apply to deaf people. Even though I did think NCLB did not apply to them.. Thought that they have a different type Regulation for them.

How do you know if NCLB don't put deaf people in certain category of what level of English, Reading and Math is where they suppose to be (that is a 6th grade should be in a 4th grade English...if lower, then teacher failed them). To me, this is no worst than before NCLB

Isn't it currently being applied now at the Rhode Island School for the Deaf?

Last edited:
Pity isn't the correct word, it's more like frustration. Then again, I'm in love with Languages and it bothers me that some Deaf students aren't being challenged enough; I suppose I want to share my love of literature, writing, and English with everyone, but it's an especially powerful force if, in fact, it's flat-out being denied to Deaf children in certain circumstances. So.. I don't know if that's pity, I'm certainly not out to "save" anyone, but if I can reach some highschoolers that wouldn't otherwise be bothered with, that'd be rad.

Look around here. You will find more than one person came in like you.

That is audist. I am certain you will understand and tailor your views with enough exposure.

Hmm, methinks I may be sinning through ignorance here. I looked up Audism for a more accurate definition, watched "Redefining Deaf", and I'm still confused! Clearly I'm ignorant. Argh.

Where I'm coming from is, having read these comments and personal stories about teachers who simply didn't care whether or not a student progressed, thought them incapable, and didn't use ASL, it would be a good thing to have one more teacher who taught a subject they were passionate about in ASL rather than oral-only.

Do I err? I want to understand as best I can, which is why I joined this community (because having a non-bigotted view is important to me!). Would you care to explain more? If not, that's okay too, but I want to understand.

Hmm, methinks I may be sinning through ignorance here. I looked up Audism for a more accurate definition, watched "Redefining Deaf", and I'm still confused! Clearly I'm ignorant. Argh.

Where I'm coming from is, having read these comments and personal stories about teachers who simply didn't care whether or not a student progressed, thought them incapable, and didn't use ASL, it would be a good thing to have one more teacher who taught a subject they were passionate about in ASL rather than oral-only.

Do I err? I want to understand as best I can, which is why I joined this community (because having a non-bigotted view is important to me!). Would you care to explain more? If not, that's okay too, but I want to understand.

I've been kicking around the Deaf community for 5 years (as a parent of a Deaf child) and I don't understand what you are doing wrong either....sorry! BUT don't take advice from me, I still get called an audist about once a week, and every few months I get the profound pleasure of being called a perpitrator of "genocide" against my child...always a great!

Welcome to alldeaf!

Teachers that can communicate with students, and are passionate with the subject, will allways be sought after, go for it!

Bottesini should perhaps answer you, but an additional perspective can't hurt. To me, it looks like Bottesini used the term "audist"(hearing people and their values are superior to deaf) because you describe yourself a bit like a savior type. I suggest you to learn how other deaf professonials try to fix those problems, and ask them how you can contribute, if you really want to help the "needed". And, they won't bite you :)

I've been kicking around the Deaf community for 5 years (as a parent of a Deaf child) and I don't understand what you are doing wrong either....sorry! BUT don't take advice from me, I still get called an audist about once a week, and every few months I get the profound pleasure of being called a perpitrator of "genocide" against my child...always a great!

Well, you could add that even hearing people have coined you as an audist? ;)

Well, you could add that even hearing people have coined you as an audist? ;)

No one has ever said any of those things to me in real life, just when they can hide behind the self righteous anonymity of the internet.

Welcome to alldeaf!

Teachers that can communicate with students, and are passionate with the subject, will allways be sought after, go for it!

Bottesini should perhaps answer you, but an additional perspective can't hurt. To me, it looks like Bottesini used the term "audist"(hearing people and their values are superior to deaf) because you describe yourself a bit like a savior type. I suggest you to learn how other deaf professonials try to fix those problems, and ask them how you can contribute, if you really want to help the "needed". And, they won't bite you :)

That is exactly what I meant. I thought my statement was obvious.

No one has ever said any of those things to me in real life, just when they can hide behind the self righteous anonymity of the internet.

There's a reason why they say the pen is mightier than the sword. If half of the stuff that were written were actually said outloud in front of people right there and then, I bet the writers would had been murdered by angry mobs.

Oh well, I was only called an "oral failure" on the internet. At least that I knew about.

You develop a thick skin.

There's a reason why they say the pen is mightier than the sword. If half of the stuff that were written were actually said outloud in front of people right there and then, I bet the writers would had been murdered by angry mobs.

Not only that, I'm sure there's half of things she won't say to them either.

But never know if these people do actually think the same about you. Gotta think about that.

Heh...true.

Just a shame that NCLB doesnt look into the factors to why many deaf children are behind and blame the teachers.

A deaf child with language delays and deficits needs lessons to meet their needs NOT the other way around. You will end up with kids so frustrated all the time and risk destroying their self-esteem and their motivation for learning. Teachers have to take each individual child into account and meet their needs.

Nobody really understands how difficult our jobs are unless they are in the field themselves too.

NCLB sucks.

Back