Do you feel lucky to have gotten your hearing aid while very young?

kokonut

Reaction score
Indeed, I felt very fortunate due to the timing and support I received following it. It was during a crucial time at age two when I was outfitted with a HA allowing me to adapt and recognize sound and voices as I grew older. I wouldn't have developed my aural and oral skills without having my hearing aid so early in my life.

Got my hearing aids at 5 years; didn't understand sounds until 8, and didn't learn how to speak until 8. My last speech therapist think I would had become fluent in several different languages if I didn't get hearing aids.

It's alright I guess. Now we use computers, text messaging, e-mails and so on in the workplace, so no hearing aid is necessary.

Last edited:
Good question! I did use HA from early on, but if I could choose and no one asked me to use, I would use it far less than I did. Perhaps for movies, tv, playing games etc, but not much more than that. Sign language is far more advanced and powerful than any listening device I have seen in the stores so far. ;)

My answer would be yes and no.

Weird, I don't feel like " oh my god thank god i have HAs " indeed, i am wearing my HAs since i was 2. actually, i am thinking about a CI. i just like to hear the sounds but it doesn't influence me to expect of speaking well or hearing/listen skill or get hopes up ay all. I know who I am and accept myself as a cool Deaf chick. :D I like to hear something that entertaining me. I do respect others who lose their hearing at late age and too clingy to the sound environmental. If no one invents HAs or CIs. i would be fine either. :dunno:

I care less.. my opinion is, if you don't have parents who is willing to work with you, you are better off know some signing. well, you be better of knowing ASL anyway rather they are going to work with you or not. It's risky for an audiologist to tell parents "yes, she can benefit from hearing aids and be able to communicate" but they don't realize how little effort these parents are really going help their child. they would just slap on a hearing aid and let them go.

My mom was one of those parent. but of course she had five kids so she didn't have time.

I would have preferred to be born in the dim past, and have been a silent woodland stalker, bringing down my prey with no benefit of sound.

I would have worn blue and green plaid and elkskin boot. :)

My parents were quite involved, especially my mother. That helped make the difference.

Thanks, Dad and Mom!:wave:

I got mine at 5. My parents were very involved. I think that is a big plus. They were willing to do whatever needed to be done for me. I think it helped a lot since I was able to learn along with the rest of my kindergarten class and I was able to mainstream in regular school all the way to college. I think if my parents had waiting even just one year, I would have fallen behind.

So I thank my Mom and Dad too Kokonut! :ty:

Indeed, I felt very fortunate due to the timing and support I received following it. It was during a crucial time at age two when I was outfitted with a HA allowing me to adapt and recognize sound and voices as I grew older. I wouldn't have developed my aural and oral skills without having my hearing aid so early in my life.

Similar story here. I was outfitted with HA at three. Without that "early" start, I wouldn't have done so well with my HA over the years and now with a CI.

I started wearing my left hearing aid when I was 9 years old. I don't know if that would have changed back early if I had wore a hearing aid and get use to the sounds. :dunno: I only heard the environmental sounds and I don't like that at all. I wished that I don't have to wear hearing aid at all, but my mom want me to wear it at schools and home a lot. I had always felt relieved to have my hearing aid taken out for bedtime. Sometimes yes and sometime no when I felt lucky to have hearing aid. A lot of time now as a Adult, the answer is no.

I care less.. my opinion is, if you don't have parents who is willing to work with you, you are better off know some signing. well, you be better of knowing ASL anyway rather they are going to work with you or not. It's risky for an audiologist to tell parents "yes, she can benefit from hearing aids and be able to communicate" but they don't realize how little effort these parents are really going help their child. they would just slap on a hearing aid and let them go.

My mom was one of those parent. but of course she had five kids so she didn't have time.

:gpost:

That's why all deaf children should be exposed to ASL because the risks of language delays are just too great. It takes a lot of work and even with that, sometimes the child still wont get benefit from the HAs. My mom worked hard with my brother and I and we both got different results with our HAs.

However, my HAs didnt solve all of my problems being mainstreamed orally. I should have had ASL in the classroom because my HAs didnt enable me to be on equal footing with my hearing peers. Having ASL would have helped in that dept.

Similar story here. I was outfitted with HA at three. Without that "early" start, I wouldn't have done so well with my HA over the years and now with a CI.

I was fitted around three but not sure. I do know that my mom just found out my older sister's deafness when she in kindergarten or first grade. I think I was just born at the time so I am pretty sure I fitted at a very young age because she did had me tested as soon as possible.

Last edited:
I didn't get a hearing aid until I was 11. I was first issued with low/medium power hearing aids which I used in conjunction with lipreading.

After losing my sight I was fitted with high power hearing aids since I could no longer lip read. That was a big mistake. It's when my recrutment started. I've not worn hearing aids for years.

I guess yeah. My parent got me hearing aids when I was 2 years old. I pulled it out and hide from my mom. Because I didn't understand what is HA for. I don't use sign language until at 3. I got another new HA since I lost the old HA.

I didn't like HA with earmolds. It's irritated me. The HA doesn't help me at all.

I was fitted with hearing aids at age 1 but not much attention were given to my hearing aids and my deafness until much later because I was born with serious health issues and a birth defect that took much higher priority and requiring a lot of attention and several surgeries and lots of physical therapy to correct. I didn't walk until I was 4, and after that is when I began wearing the HAs regularly at age 5, but it didn't help for shit, probably was too late anyway. I wore them until age 10 and then my dad began to get mad at me because I kept losing them so I put them away for good as they were of no use to me anyway, and so my dad wouldn't yell at me about losing my HAs anymore.

I got my first body worn Hearing Aids at the age of 14 months. I am glad I got them then as I did fantastic with hearing aids until I needed a CI.

Back