Do you feel lucky to have gotten your hearing aid while very young?

Thank you Mom and Dad for exposing me to my first language, ASL, first before I was fitted for a hearing aid at a much later age.

:ily: parents who reinforces language acquisition first.

Thank you Mom and Dad for exposing me to my first language, ASL, first before I was fitted for a hearing aid at a much later age.

:ily: parents who reinforces language acquisition first.

Hearing aids and language acqusition are not mutally exclusive. Why on earth would giving someone hearing aids interfere with language learning???

Hearing aids and language acqusition are not mutally exclusive. Why on earth would giving someone hearing aids interfere with language learning???

Because 98% of hearing parents don't use sign language with their kids? And hearing aids don't really give you full access to the spoken languages?

She's just grateful she wasn't part of the 98th percentile.

Because 98% of hearing parents don't use sign language with their kids?

So if the parents are going to use spoken language with their child, they NEED to get them amplification as soon as possible.

Oh, and where did you get that number? The superintendant of our state school for the Deaf said at a meeting, two weeks ago, that in the state of Utah, 70% of parents choose a spoken language route. That means that at least 30% are using ASL.

So if the parents are going to use spoken language with their child, they NEED to get them amplification as soon as possible.

Oh, and where did you get that number? The superintendant of our state school for the Deaf said at a meeting, two weeks ago, that in the state of Utah, 70% of parents choose a spoken language route. That means that at least 30% are using ASL.

Just because the kids are using sign language, doesn't means the parents are. My parents, apart from my uncle, never used sign language after I was 12. Why? They found it easier to speak (arthritis was the reason why, at least until it spread to my mom's face a few years later; my stepdad never bothered learning in the first place.)

And the 98% thing? Pulled it out of my butt for humour. Amplification doesn't means anything if you are still missing out on 20-60% of what is being said.

Just because the kids are using sign language, doesn't means the parents are. My parents, apart from my uncle, never used sign language after I was 12. Why? They found it easier to speak (arthritis was the reason why, at least until it spread to my mom's face a few years later; my stepdad never bothered learning in the first place.)

And the 98% thing? Pulled it out of my butt for humour. Amplification doesn't means anything if you are still missing out on 20-60% of what is being said.

Very true! I just hate that part. I want to be a whole of it, to participate in it, ya know ? I just want to be an equal just like hearing people. I grew up in mainstream schools in my entire life. I have my own hearing family as well. Only my siblings know fingerspelling, not sign language like us deaf people do. My parents don't know sign language, either nor fingerspellin'. I had to work up myself by readin' their lips. Very frustratin' for me. :lol:

At age 14, my hearing was 60/40....and no, I've never worn hearing aids. I, actually, had been reading lips for a long time.....It was my math teacher that suggested I be given a hearing test in school. MY grades were excellent as long as I was sitting in the front of the class.

My mother, sole provider of 6 kids, could not afford a doctor. And when I finally did see a doctor, to find that I had a rare disease of the ear drums, and had to have surgery....and the doctor actually butchered my ears and my nerves. I went in the hospital being able to hear that morning, and the next day, woke up to being deaf.

My mother was murdered 2 weeks later, and I was "shipped off" to a deaf school, beuz at that time, there were no teachers in public schools to teach me since I was deaf now.

My speech, after all these years, is still intact. Even tho' the doctors said it would not be, and I would not be "understandable". My lip-reading was very fluent for many years, but as I've aged, it's not as well.

It's been a "long road", but I'm so glad I've found you guys! (AD'ers). I will be 63 this coming Novemer, which is next month.

At age 14, my hearing was 60/40....and no, I've never worn hearing aids. I, actually, had been reading lips for a long time.....It was my math teacher that suggested I be given a hearing test in school. MY grades were excellent as long as I was sitting in the front of the class.

My mother, sole provider of 6 kids, could not afford a doctor. And when I finally did see a doctor, to find that I had a rare disease of the ear drums, and had to have surgery....and the doctor actually butchered my ears and my nerves. I went in the hospital being able to hear that morning, and the next day, woke up to being deaf.

My mother was murdered 2 weeks later, and I was "shipped off" to a deaf school, beuz at that time, there were no teachers in public schools to teach me since I was deaf now.

My speech, after all these years, is still intact. Even tho' the doctors said it would not be, and I would not be "understandable". My lip-reading was very fluent for many years, but as I've aged, it's not as well.

It's been a "long road", but I'm so glad I've found you guys! (AD'ers). I will be 63 this coming Novemer, which is next month.

Aww... welcome to AD. :D

I wish I had gotten my HA at younger age than 7 Years old! It would had kept my dad my getting from so mad at me , I could not hear him when he called me and he would hit me! I was not allowed to play with some kids in my neighborhood as their parents thought I was crazy and would harm their kids! My speech was really bad and I talked very loud as I could not hear myself ! A HA would had made my life a lot nicer!

I wish I had gotten my HA at younger age than 7 Years old! It would had kept my dad my getting from so mad at me , I could not hear him when he called me and he would hit me! I was not allowed to play with some kids in my neighborhood as their parents thought I was crazy and would harm their kids! My speech was really bad and I talked very loud as I could not hear myself ! A HA would had made my life a lot nicer!

Sorry to hear that you had to go through that. That just ain't right the abuse you received.

I think that I probably should have gotten them even younger than I did, but yes, I am fortunate that I got them at such a young age or I might not be as well spoken or as well adjusted. My parents realized how delayed I was in speech and how when I did speak, I mispronounced pretty much every word. That's why they took me in for a test and learned I was HOH.

I got hearing aids at age six, and I really wish I hadn't. My loss wasn't detectable until after I had learned language and all the speech sounds, so there was no need for HAs to help with speech/language acquisition. The reason why I was fitted at that age was because they (parents, doctors, everyone except me) knew that my hearing loss was progressive, and that at some point I would need them, so I should start getting used to them. I didn't really need HAs except for certain situations until I was about 12 years old. But even when my my loss got to the point where I started missing speech in normal environments, HAs were not helpful because I lost so much hearing so quickly and had profound deafness in all the consonant speech sounds. No HA would/will ever be able to give me those sounds back.

The way I see it, HAs actually exacerbated my hearing loss when I was younger because of the amplification. I really wish I had not been given HAs until I was older; I may have had a few more years of good hearing at a very critical time in my life (adolescence).

I got hearing aids at age six, and I really wish I hadn't. My loss wasn't detectable until after I had learned language and all the speech sounds, so there was no need for HAs to help with speech/language acquisition. The reason why I was fitted at that age was because they (parents, doctors, everyone except me) knew that my hearing loss was progressive, and that at some point I would need them, so I should start getting used to them. I didn't really need HAs except for certain situations until I was about 12 years old. But even when my my loss got to the point where I started missing speech in normal environments, HAs were not helpful because I lost so much hearing so quickly and had profound deafness in all the consonant speech sounds. No HA would/will ever be able to give me those sounds back.

The way I see it, HAs actually exacerbated my hearing loss when I was younger because of the amplification. I really wish I had not been given HAs until I was older; I may have had a few more years of good hearing at a very critical time in my life (adolescence).

Research shows that well fitted hearing aids do not cause loss in hearing.

Research shows that well fitted hearing aids do not cause loss in hearing.

Keep in mind... these are adults. Many of them have went through the sign language ban the '50s and '60s. Many of them were fitted with older technology, and not everyone have equal access to good audiologists.

Not sure why you're commenting "do you feel lucky to have gotten your hearing aid while very young" when you're not even a wearer yourself.

Keep in mind... these are adults. Many of them have went through the sign language ban the '50s and '60s. Many of them were fitted with older technology, and not everyone have equal access to good audiologists.

Not sure why you're commenting "do you feel lucky to have gotten your hearing aid while very young" when you're not even a wearer yourself.

I'm commenting on an old wives tale. It is widely told and untrue. I have not commented on whether or not "I feel lucky to have gotten hearing aids when I was young". Why should I let untruths be told and not challenge them??

I'm commenting on an old wives tale. It is widely told and untrue. I have not commented on whether or not "I feel lucky to have gotten hearing aids when I was young". Why should I let untruths be told and not challenge them??

Because you don't take things in historical context of their contemporary reality at the time they were growing up.

And sometimes it's a matter when a person didn't get much bang for the buck with their hearing aids, thus the low outlook on hearing aids. While others continue to be amazed and thankful for such a technological device. I can certainly see why people who do not wear hearing aids and cannot get any benefit out of it would not think much about hearing aids.

Last edited:

I'm not responding to that topic, I am responing to a myth that gets told over and over again.

Are you saying that I have no right to respond to anything on this site because I am hearing??

I'm not responding to that topic, I am responing to a myth that gets told over and over again.

Are you saying that I have no right to respond to anything on this site because I am hearing??

What myth are you referring to?

Back