Do u like laws called "No Child Left Behind"?

Foxrac

Premium Member
Reaction score
I just wondering that Bush created shitty laws called NCLB Act. I thought it can be screwed deaf people's life and unforgiven to deaf kids that has low GPA rate. What's deal with this laws? :deal:

I have go back to public school this fall but I feel nervous that is no special education class in some public school. I'm in low GPA rate and need find public school that has special education class. :(

I have go back to public school this fall but I feel nervous that is no special education class in some public school. I'm in low GPA rate and need find public school that has special education class.
Well do you HAVE to go back to public school? Is there any way that you can stay at your current school or continue at a school for the deaf? Most public schools aren't very good for getting an education...they are targeted towards the Mythical Average Student.

deafdyke said:
Well do you HAVE to go back to public school? Is there any way that you can stay at your current school or continue at a school for the deaf? Most public schools aren't very good for getting an education...they are targeted towards the Mythical Average Student.

Yeah, of course. :wave:

Sorry to heard about your GPA rate is low. Did you talk with your public school about this situation?

I'm not sure about other states, but here in Alabama, my students can come to my class for math, reading, and english (I am a deaf ed/special ed teacher). They have to attend regular class for social studies (history) and science. But they can come to my class for social studies and science tests or questions, but I can't teach them. Actually, I am gonna co-teach one social studies first time this year because of NCLB. But I can't teach my students in small group, it must be all students in one class with normal and special ed mixed. I'm not sure how that's gonna work, but mostly I will just be there to help with reading the texts and make sure their accomodations and modifications are working and/or being used.

The whole point of NCLB is they are trying to give all kids a good education. And from politician's idea, they think only way is to put all kids in regular classroom. But, these politicians have never taught a class to know that special ed kids are already behind (thats why they are in special ed in first place) so when you put them in regular class, they fall even more behind. All the teachers and staff have known about this for about 2 or 3 years but this is first year that its mandatory to start NCLB act. It's gonna be a mess for special ed and I hope it doesn't take too long for the politicans to notice the mess they are making or have made.

NCLB is only maditory for those States who want to receive Federal funding. Utah has already decided to forego the funding and another 3-5 States are considering doing the same just so they can stop following NCLB.

Utah's federal funding only accounted for 20% of their state educational budget and since the NCLB paperwork cost them more than 20% they're ditching NCLB.

Im sorry, but I don't see the correlation between NCLB and your dilema. NCLB simply states that if your child attends a school that is below average, you can send them to a better school.

Eve,

No, that's not true. That's not what NCLB says.

yes, you can transfer to another school.

But your kid scores really badly, so guess what? Nobody wants your kid because they'll drag your school average down.

Way to go, teaching kids that they aren't valuable unless they get a certain score on a completely arbitrary and pointless test, which by the way, are extremely expensive and bring in a lot of money for the companies who originally sponsored NCLB.

NO, I don't like NCLB. I understand what Bush was trying to do, and we do need to improve standards, but this is just not the way.

I find it amusing how many people comment on what they know nothing about.

Accountability is good in my book.
Benefit of the doubt is as well.

Tripp, I mean no offense but I have to ask you this...

Could it be that you're looking for the easy way out with the special education class, or others aren't just meeting your needs for communicating the materials to you? I know how it can be hard being a rare deaf student at a public school.

In any case you need to take responsibility for your own education, and that means going to the right people at the school to talk about what is NOT working for you so they will be held responsible for not leaving you behind. That's accountability. You also have a part in making this work. You might hate the effort, but you won't regret it when you're older and experienced! Don't let this scare you from achieving that wonderful potential of being all that you can be as far as your capabilities go. I can see that potential in you easily.

Liza said:
In any case you need to take responsibility for your own education, and that means going to the right people at the school to talk about what is NOT working for you so they will be held responsible for not leaving you behind. That's accountability. You also have a part in making this work. You might hate the effort, but you won't regret it when you're older and experienced! Don't let this scare you from achieving that wonderful potential of being all that you can be as far as your capabilities go. I can see that potential in you easily.

That is so true, because of me being a mother I am responsible for Markus's education, If there is something I am corner with my son's schoolwork base on how he is learning and based on what issue he is having problems with, I always talk it over with his teacher and the principal, They work with me on another way to get him help if he needs a tutor, Sometimes schools like my son's don't provide tutors on all subjects. There other places you can go and get a tutor on a subject you are having problems with. Markus got so much better than 2 yrs ago, He improve so much and got all straight A's. I couldn't be more than proud. Maybe you (TrippLA) can discuss this with your parents, Or you can go up to the teacher and principal yourself and tell them what problems you are having, that you need help to improve yourself. See what they say, It doesn't hurt to ask. ;) And Good Luck to you! :thumb:

What about a tutor class? It might help you to improve your skills. I know the law is not very effective for everyone. But, just do your best...

Do you have an interpreter? If no, then your school is in big trouble with the law.

Liza said:
Could it be that you're looking for the easy way out with the special education class, or others aren't just meeting your needs for communicating the materials to you? I know how it can be hard being a rare deaf student at a public school.
that is me! I am in special education, because I am in a wheelchair, and I am learning how to communicate with hearing ppl but they misunderstand the deaf culture

Off subject Liza - I like your avator. I think that it is very sexy. Isn't that hurt? :roll:

Back