Dlinks - Router to router-WIRELESS

deafhalo

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to be able to connect a d-link router (DI-514) from the main router (DI-624) wirelessly. I DON'T WANT TO BUY A ACCESS POINT. I WANT A CHALLENGE FOR GET BOTH ROUTERS TO WORK WIRELESSLY!

The two netgear's works! But I haven't try the D-links which I been struggle for a hour. Then I decide to leave here a post to see if anyone did this kind of thing before and able to help.

What I have;

The DI-Link 624 (The WAN)

LAN IP: 1.0.0.1 - DCHP ENABLED.
Sub: 255.255.255.0
SSID: home
Wireless channel: 6

The DI-LINK 514 (The LAN) <- want to set it up into a "Access point".

LAN IP: ??? (Need to disable DCHP?)
SSID: ???
Wireless channel: ???

I have a xbox in the living room. I want it to connect to DI-514 as access point.

Can you give me a proper setting for DI-514? That'll be great if you can help!

Thanks!

You mean you want two wireless access point? The easy answer is to turn off the DHCP server and kill "WAN" port on the second router.

Having two routers in same network is like having a car with two steering wheels, and that each steering wheel has its own driver. This won't work!

Hi,

I want to be able to connect a d-link router (DI-514) from the main router (DI-624) wirelessly. I DON'T WANT TO BUY A ACCESS POINT. I WANT A CHALLENGE FOR GET BOTH ROUTERS TO WORK WIRELESSLY!

The two netgear's works! But I haven't try the D-links which I been struggle for a hour. Then I decide to leave here a post to see if anyone did this kind of thing before and able to help.

What I have;

The DI-Link 624 (The WAN)

LAN IP: 1.0.0.1 - DCHP ENABLED.
SSID: home
Wireless channel: 6

The DI-LINK 514 (The LAN) <- want to set it up into a "Access point".

LAN IP: ??? (Need to disable DCHP?)
SSID: ???
Wireless channel: ???

I have a xbox in the living room. I want it to connect to DI-514 as access point.

Can you give me a proper setting for DI-514? That'll be great if you can help!

Thanks!

You mean you want two wireless access point? The easy answer is to turn off the DHCP server and kill "WAN" port on the second router.

Two wireless AP? No, I want the second di-link 514 as ACCESS POINT for xbox. I got the two netgears on-line long ago. But the di-link models is bit different. That's why I'm leaving a post to see if anyone have the same kind of experience on this brand.

What do you mean kill "WAN" port? Only the way it'll be on IF you plug it in there. It won't run if you don't. Is that what you're saying?

Having two routers in same network is like having a car with two steering wheels, and that each steering wheel has its own driver. This won't work!

Not quite alike. I got the netgears to work like I said above. I'm ITS for eleven years. :) I'm hoping if anyone could help me to figures out on di-link's models.

Kill means do not use it. For example if you want to hook up two routers, leave the set up intact with 1st router, and plug the Ethernet into 1st port on your 1st router, the end will plug in port #4 or the last port of your 2nd router, and that 2nd router need to disable the DHCP server, then your all set.
I understand what you mean, even though 11 years with IT does not mean anything! Everybody is learning everyday, including myself.

I have several routers in my house, and one of them is wireless router Di-634M, I already turned it into access point! It works like charm!

Two wireless AP? No, I want the second di-link 514 as ACCESS POINT for xbox. I got the two netgears on-line long ago. But the di-link models is bit different. That's why I'm leaving a post to see if anyone have the same kind of experience on this brand.

What do you mean kill "WAN" port? Only the way it'll be on IF you plug it in there. It won't run if you don't. Is that what you're saying?

Not quite alike. I got the netgears to work like I said above. I'm ITS for eleven years. :) I'm hoping if anyone could help me to figures out on di-link's models.

Kill means do not use it. For example if you want to hook up two routers, leave the set up intact with 1st router, and plug the Ethernet into 1st port on your 1st router, the end will plug in port #4 or the last port of your 2nd router, and that 2nd router need to disable the DHCP server, then your all set.
I understand what you mean, even though 11 years with IT does not mean anything! Everybody is learning everyday, including myself.

I have several routers in my house, and one of them is wireless router Di-634M, I already turned it into access point! It works like charm!

No, I don't want to plug it into the 2nd router. Cuz the 2nd router is in the living room where I want to put. I did that a lot of time for plug into the 2nd router as 'switches' with dchp disabled. I ONLY wanted to set it up WIRELESSLY.

Di-634M is good one, it have a choice to set as AP mode if I remember it right. But DI-link 514 doesn't have that choice. That might be the reason you can set it up much easier. I installed one for a customer. That's why I'm seeing if someone had a way around it to get it work.

Ofc, I'm learning new things every day. But I do have a long experiences. No offend I hope. :ty:

Hmm I get what you mean, I don't think it is quite possible. Let me dig out something else.

I forgot what is called, it uses existing electrical system in your house to transmit the network, and you may want try that one. I think it is "Powerline" or something. I haven't done experiment with that one.

No, I don't want to plug it into the 2nd router. Cuz the 2nd router is in the living room where I want to put. I did that a lot of time for plug into the 2nd router as 'switches' with dchp disabled. I ONLY wanted to set it up WIRELESSLY.

Di-634M is good one, it have a choice to set as AP mode if I remember it right. But DI-link 514 doesn't have that choice. That might be the reason you can set it up much easier. I installed one for a customer. That's why I'm seeing if someone had a way around it to get it work.

Ofc, I'm learning new things every day. But I do have a long experiences. No offend I hope. :ty:

Hmm I get what you mean, I don't think it is quite possible. Let me dig out something else.

I forgot what is called, it uses existing electrical system in your house to transmit the network, and you may want try that one. I think it is "Powerline" or something. I haven't done experiment with that one.

I think you might meant about the 'network powerline bridge'. But the powerline is very easy to install. I installed one for mac's dial up networking with two powerline adapters. That is very old. Now high speed rules! It is similar to two wireless phone jacks. I used it for TTY wireless back then.

The powerline adapter for computer network cost about 40 dollars. The netgear and other brands have this kind today.

Yes, that is what I mean. :)

I think you might meant about the 'network powerline bridge'. But the powerline is very easy to install. I installed one for mac's dial up networking with two powerline adapters. That is very old. Now high speed rules! It is similar to two wireless phone jacks. I used it for TTY wireless back then.

The powerline adapter for computer network cost about 40 dollars. The netgear and other brands have this kind today.

You want both routers to bridge each other via wireless and that can be done on most model *if* the custom firmware is avaiable for it.

Factory firmware will not allow bridging between 2 wireless routers so you will need to surf the internet and see if there any custom firmware for your router models to allow wireless bridging.

Here one example of a website with custom firmware for routers that overrides factory firmware and enable those extra features like bridging or hotspot or sign in access points etc.

Sveasoft

My brother have 2 linksys routers and he use sveasoft firmware to bridge them wireless from his home to his office. They are about 1 miles away from each other using flat panel antenna so my brother only pay one internet at home becasue internet at busniess zone monthly cost 2x-3x more than home monthly.

My brother's friend have routers set up 7 miles apart .. YES 7 MILES! wireless bridging but of course he is using huge yagi antenna between the routers.

Yup... You did help me to disable on DHCP server via router then issue were solved on NAT.

You want both routers to bridge each other via wireless and that can be done on most model *if* the custom firmware is avaiable for it.

Factory firmware will not allow bridging between 2 wireless routers so you will need to surf the internet and see if there any custom firmware for your router models to allow wireless bridging.

Yeah, there's no firmware for my models. :( Thanks, though!

Here one example of a website with custom firmware for routers that overrides factory firmware and enable those extra features like bridging or hotspot or sign in access points etc.

Sveasoft

I went to that web site before :ty:, speaking of that, I been there for scuba diving training. It was blast over there! Thanks for the web site which gave me good memories. :)

My brother have 2 linksys routers and he use sveasoft firmware to bridge them wireless from his home to his office. They are about 1 miles away from each other using flat panel antenna so my brother only pay one internet at home becasue internet at busniess zone monthly cost 2x-3x more than home monthly.

My brother's friend have routers set up 7 miles apart .. YES 7 MILES! wireless bridging but of course he is using huge yagi antenna between the routers.
That's a neat idea of your brother to use for 'point to point', if that is correct name for wifi system. Other guys build one for about 125 miles. That was about few years ago. My parent live in the country and have a big WiFi antenna for the internet access at about ten miles transmitting to the radio tower. But rare got kicked off due to the weather conditions. :( My home have a smaller wifi dish which go to the tower is about five miles. I have to pay about 84 dollars each month for 1mbps up/down. Ugh. I contact many internet services like comcast, qwest, sprint and others and they don't have the fiber optic close to my house. So the wireless is only the way.

Yeah, there's no firmware for my models. :( Thanks, though!

I went to that web site before :ty:, speaking of that, I been there for scuba diving training. It was blast over there! Thanks for the web site which gave me good memories. :)

That's a neat idea of your brother to use for 'point to point', if that is correct name for wifi system. Other guys build one for about 125 miles. That was about few years ago. My parent live in the country and have a big WiFi antenna for the internet access at about ten miles transmitting to the radio tower. But rare got kicked off due to the weather conditions. :( My home have a smaller wifi dish which go to the tower is about five miles. I have to pay about 84 dollars each month for 1mbps up/down. Ugh. I contact many internet services like comcast, qwest, sprint and others and they don't have the fiber optic close to my house. So the wireless is only the way.

You can get Wireless Ethernet Bridge like example Amazon.com: Linksys WET11 Wireless Ethernet Bridge: Electronics

Or check on ebay for old linksys router for sale and use custom firmware becasue linksys router are so popular the is many different custom firmware out there for it.

You can get Wireless Ethernet Bridge like example Amazon.com: Linksys WET11 Wireless Ethernet Bridge: Electronics

Or check on ebay for old linksys router for sale and use custom firmware becasue linksys router are so popular the is many different custom firmware out there for it.

Thanks. I already have couple of linksys wireless routers and APs. But They just are all sold for each customer I installed and some others off the eBay. But I'll check in the garage and see if I still have the left over network wireless devices, hopefully some brand names can let me to do a custom firmware. Wish me luck. :) If not, I'll get a used one off the ebay like you suggested.

Sveasoft

Hi again,

Today, I brought a used linksys WRT54G 2.04 for five bucks and added a DC adapter for two. I got a custom firmware installed and got it set as AP, now able to get my xbox online *finally!*. I used DD-WRT. It have much more features then sveasoft.

http://www.dd-wrt.com, thought you would like to try it.

Diehardbikers, I have few question.

I had checked on speed test after what happened with slow connection and found ms ping is 999, WTF at stupid DSL company, that same ms ping as dial-up and satellite internet and download speed was under 1 mbps and upload speed was 60 kbps, I just like wtf at that then I reset the modem then it went back to normal, ms ping was around under 250, download speed has increased to 2.7 mbps, maxmium is 3.0 mbps and upload has increased to more than 300 kbps.

What's fucking wrong with modem, I did checked on router and it wasn't from Linksys.

The first thing I would do is consult HSI tech support and ask them why my upload speed decreased too much? Usually this will solve the problem, sometimes by flushing the modem and this usually do the trick, don't work for DSL modem. Usually from my experience, depending on location DSL SUCKS! because they are distance sensitive comparing to cable. If your local offers FiOS, I would grab it. The only problem is they assigned only one public IP, they can't assign more than 1 because it is single node, that is the problem.

Diehardbikers, I have few question.

I had checked on speed test after what happened with slow connection and found ms ping is 999, WTF at stupid DSL company, that same ms ping as dial-up and satellite internet and download speed was under 1 mbps and upload speed was 60 kbps, I just like wtf at that then I reset the modem then it went back to normal, ms ping was around under 250, download speed has increased to 2.7 mbps, maxmium is 3.0 mbps and upload has increased to more than 300 kbps.

What's fucking wrong with modem, I did checked on router and it wasn't from Linksys.

The first thing I would do is consult HSI tech support and ask them why my upload speed decreased too much? Usually this will solve the problem, sometimes by flushing the modem and this usually do the trick, don't work for DSL modem. Usually from my experience, depending on location DSL SUCKS! because they are distance sensitive comparing to cable. If your local offers FiOS, I would grab it. The only problem is they assigned only one public IP, they can't assign more than 1 because it is single node, that is the problem.

Flushing the modem means reset the modem?

I did reset the modem and issue were solved, it never happen to me when I was subscribed to roadrunner.

Ok, the 999 you mention is very high latency rate, I have seen over 6,000 once and that was satellite! Nothing can be done with that part. The best latency rate I have seen was 25, I was like whoa! I love that one!

The ping really represents as hops between servers to servers, depending on where, believe it or not there could be over 3,000 servers connects from somebody in New York city to Los Angeles! That is why each connections has to be clean to maintain low latency rates.
Be careful, few HSI will charge you if you reset modem, it is best to call them first.

Flushing the modem means reset the modem?

I did reset the modem and issue were solved, it never happen to me when I was subscribed to roadrunner.

Back