District files appeal against deaf student

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and I would like to share some good news. One of the students I work with...CI but still sign based and uses a terp in class...referred him an internship program through the VA. They had some grant money, and he fulfilled the stipulations inthe grant, so he was hired for a paid internship through the grant funding. He just came into my office to tell me that starting Oct. they will be putting him on staff and he is going to be making $33,000/yr. Not bad for a signing college sophomore, huh? Oh, and he is also teching sign classes at the VA to vets who have been adventitiously deafened.

Success story!

:gpost::gpost:That indeed, is good news, jillio!

In your specific example, no it did not but in general, a child raised orally with good oral skills will have more opportunities then a child without good oral skills.
Can you post the evidence of that? Other than have been told that it is so by the oralists.

GRE, now its either Green Rotten Eggs or Graduate Record Exam, can I phone a friend Reeg?

In your case it would be green rotten eggs. So why is it not a valid question to ask?

I'm certain that they would find it as revealing as did I and others. But I don't share your penchant for vindictiveness toward those who disagree with me. By the way, what did you score on your writing section of the GREs?

Oh, and it hasn't escaped notice that you have totally ignored the positive post regarding a signing CI user and the wonderful accomplishments he has made.

So sorry, I was just so worried that I would lose my job and we would lose the lawsuit because of you.

I am honestly very happy for this young man I am glad that is reaching his goals.

I saw my prinicpal today and forgot to mention Jillo that you would be contacting her.

I am not going to share my GRE scores with you just too listen to one of your wonderful comments. I did though hate to say it had the highest GRE's scores and highest GPA of the girls I went to school with.

So sorry, I was just so worried that I would lose my job and we would lose the lawsuit because of you.

I am honestly very happy for this young man I am glad that is reaching his goals.

I saw my prinicpal today and forgot to mention Jillo that you would be contacting her.

I am not going to share my GRE scores with you just too listen to one of your wonderful comments. I did though hate to say it had the highest GRE's scores and highest GPA of the girls I went to school with.

I guess we'd have to know what their scores were in order to evaluate your scores, then, wouldn't we? Didn't you go to school with any boys?

Please point out where I have said that I was going to contact your principal. You are once again refering to statements that were never made. You do that frequently.

Its good to know that you are happy for this student.

I guess we'd have to know what their scores were in order to evaluate your scores, then, wouldn't we? Didn't you go to school with any boys?

Please point out where I have said that I was going to contact your principal. You are once again refering to statements that were never made. You do that frequently.

Its good to know that you are happy for this student.

First I would extremely happy for whatever type of student is able to reach their goal signing, oral or even a normal hearing student. More power to them.

You did say you were going to send a grammar sample to my district. Since research is your area go on take the trouble of finding what district I work for and send a sample.

In the same post you mention about the comments I made here that they would they could harm our case. If you would like to send these comments to judge, the case was filed in Los Angeles Federal Court.

Yeah, :roll: leave it to a hearing person to down play the success of a deaf student. So typical.

You are hurt by something. Really Rick is not down playing this student success, he is saying WOW, he is doing what any other sophmore is doing.

First I would extremely happy for whatever type of student is able to reach their goal signing, oral or even a normal hearing student. More power to them.

Are deaf students not "normal"?

You did say you were going to send a grammar sample to my district. Since research is your area go on take the trouble of finding what district I work for and send a sample.

No, jackie,that's not what I said. Go back and read the post again.
And I would expectt ht is the attitude you would take. If you can't follow through on the challenges you offer, then perhaps you shouldn't throw them our there. It only forces you to backpedal and contradict yourself.

In the same post you mention about the comments I made here that they would they could harm our case. If you would like to send these comments to judge, the case was filed in Los Angeles Federal Court.

Yep. I did say if the school system got ahold of some of the posts you have made it would certainly hurt your case. I also cautioned you to be careful with what you said in a public forum to prevent those negative consequences. Obviously, you are unwilling to protect yourself. These transcripts can be easily obtianed by the school system without assistance from anyone posting here. No one has to help them.

Yep. I did say if the school system got ahold of some of the posts you have made it would certainly hurt your case. I also cautioned you to be careful with what you said in a public forum to prevent those negative consequences. Obviously, you are unwilling to protect yourself. These transcripts can be easily obtianed by the school system without assistance from anyone posting here. No one has to help them.

I just so frighten now that I know the school district can get ahold of all the infromation I have posted. What should I do now?

Originally Posted by jackiesolorzano

I said normal hearing students. Yes, of course I know deaf students are normal.

And I would expectt ht is the attitude you would take. If you can't follow through on the challenges you offer, then perhaps you shouldn't throw them our there. It only forces you to backpedal and contradict yourself.

What challenge did I offer.

Jillo what I am going to now, I am going lose our case and lose my job. Well that is just the way life is.

I just so frighten now that I know the school district can get ahold of all the infromation I have posted. What should I do now?

Originally Posted by jackiesolorzano

I said normal hearing students. Yes, of course I know deaf students are normal.

What challenge did I offer.

Jillo what I am going to now, I am going lose our case and lose my job. Well that is just the way life is.

You need to refine your English skills before attempting sarcasm. It's too blatant to be effective.

I imagine when you lose your cse, you'll be right back here whining about the deaf community is picking on you!

OpinionJournal - Leisure & Arts

OpinionJournal - Leisure & Arts

Signs and Wonders
An Israeli town where people talk with their hands--literally.

BY MICHAEL PHILIPS
Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:01 a.m. EDT

In the southern Israeli desert of Negev lies a community called Al-Sayyid. Inhabited by approximately 3,500 Bedouin, an Arab nomadic tribe that settled the area about 200 years ago, the village may seem rather humdrum at first glance. That is, until you see the villagers interacting--by making signs with their hands.

In Al-Sayyid, at least 150 residents are deaf, a rate 50 times greater than that of Israel's general population. As it happens, a recessive gene for profound deafness--traced back to sons of the "founding" couple--has made its way, through large families and genetic probabilities, into an ever-widening gene pool. Thus over three generations an extraordinarily high number of deaf children have been born to Al-Sayyid's villagers.

Of necessity, a special means of communication has sprung up: Nearly all the village's residents, hearing and deaf alike, are fluent in a sign language unique to Al-Sayyid. Margalit Fox's "Talking Hands," in part, describes this language and chronicles the work of a group of linguists who were allowed by townspeople to study it.

Though rare, such "signing villages" are not unheard of. Certain conditions are conducive to their forming. "First," Ms. Fox writes, "you need a gene for a form of inherited deafness. Second, you need huge families to pass the gene along." The practice of polygamy, together with the habit of marriage among cousins, speeds the rate of genetic spread. Al-Sayyid has met all these conditions.

As it happens, Martha's Vineyard, off the coast of Massachusetts, once met at least the first two. From the middle of the 17th century to roughly the turn of the 20th, nearly everyone on the island used a distinctive sign language that was (mostly) born there. Nora Ellen Groce detailed its history in "Everyone Here Spoke Sign Language" (1985). By the time Ms. Groce began her research, signing on the island had ceased, since the last deaf person had died more than two decades before. Her book is a kind of oral history, with colorful interviews of older islanders who remembered the signing days.

By contrast, Ms. Fox, a science reporter for the New York Times, visits Al-Sayyid when it is still in a signing mode. She offers a few humorous anecdotes but prefers to concentrate on the subject of how languages evolve. She devotes relatively brief space to her account of village residents' interacting with the four linguists charged with documenting Al-Sayyid's sign language. She devotes much more to a history of linguistics and of sign language in America and the world.
For example, she discusses an international conference for deaf educators in Milan that in 1880 declared "oralism" as the best way to integrate deaf people into general society. It was a bad idea that enjoyed high status among Western elites for many years. To show its wrong-headedness, Ms. Fox relates a rhetorical question posed to her by a linguist. Suppose an American were placed alone in a glass, soundproof booth in the middle of Japan. How on earth would he learn to speak Japanese?

The rhetorical answer: with the greatest difficulty. Learning a spoken language requires hearing it or learning it through instruction in a language one does understand. For the deaf, sign language may serve that intermediary function, but it must come first. After that Milan conference, it would take nearly 80 years before teaching primarily American Sign Language (ASL) to the deaf was accepted practice again in the U.S. and 90 years for linguists to come to a consensus that ASL is indeed a full-fledged language.

Linguists now believe that sign languages are processed in our minds in much the way that spoken languages are--and follow a similar evolutionary pattern. (This similarity is one reason why the study of sign languages is a growing subfield in linguistics.) The third generation of signers in Al-Sayyid uses its language with much greater speed than the first and with much greater structural complexity. Spoken language shows a kindred evolution.

We are well past the point in history where it is possible for a new spoken language to develop without the influence of other languages. What is so fascinating about Al-Sayyid Bedouin Sign Language (ABSL), as the village's sign language is officially called, is that it was born with no apparent influence from any language at all. A case in point: The spoken languages of the region--Hebrew and the local Arabic dialect--favor sentences with a subject-verb-object sequence. (English does too.) ABSL favors subject-object-verb.
A close look at a young language--tracing its structure and developmental arc--is rarely possible in the modern age. Hence the appeal of studying ABSL. The language may well give scholars special insight into the workings of the mind and the intricacies of its linguistic faculties. There are other signing villages in the world today, but none with languages so fully developed as Al-Sayyid's.

Unfortunately, there isn't much time. Israeli Sign Language (ISL)--an entirely different language--threatens to encroach on ABSL and, inevitably, to "corrupt" its distinctiveness. But Al-Sayyid's residents know, as Ms. Fox explains, that learning ISL will give their children a better chance to thrive in the modern world, not least in the world just outside the village. Over time, it is unclear whether older residents, nurtured on a purer form of ABSL, will understand the younger ones. For now, at least, a unique sign language integrates everyone into a single community, whether they can hear or not.

Mr. Philips is The Wall Street Journal's assistant Leisure & Arts features editor. You can buy "Talking Hands" from the OpinionJournal bookstore.

See this article that I agree with them all . *****high ten****** .. NO matter what u think of me that I dont even care anymore since SELIFISH AUDIST ATTITUDE people screwed up Deaf Education as usual for many years with no ASL. Hearing people think they know everything before Deaf people know and tried to tell the truth how important for us to have American Sign Language before artifiicial languages. Why does Selfish Audiusm people TAKING Deaf children AWAY FROM our American Sign Language? That is what it pissed me off u do not understand what is communication all about for Deaf children s need FIRST before they can learn how to speak . The reason is that it helps deaf babies/toddler to understand the concept first before orally speaking.. I have nothing against oral therapy at all because it s good for them to learn how to lipread instead of listening those stupid sounds only.

Whats more It s the same concept of what I posted the" evidence of being deaf with Ha or Ci devices." If you want to read the original topic that I had in my file. Since they removed a lot of posts to cover up their buns. Sighs! YOU ARE D E A F NOT A HEARING PERSON SO BE IT. Any deaf children with or without no device who cannot hear everything so therefore we Deaf children of the Deaf community will be always deaf as is. NO one can deny it at all.

Why are all Deaf children who are born profoundly deaf or any type of deafness that they cannot hear everything who doesnt have their Deaf rights for many many years? Why is it still continuing problem in our Deaf Education? All I know AUDIST ATTITUDE people are refusing to see the true fact that we do need our hands to speak that we can understand it better and can process to understand and learn new things without having too much struggling or frustration by oral method only. And it s still lack of communication between Deaf and Hearing people in this society no matter what since hearing people doenst have any respect for Deaf people s rights or refuse to not learn ASL for us all along after all we did learn how to speak in speech therapy. Whats the use for us to have since Deaf rights is not out there yet to make it official instead of going to the court all the time that is not gonna to solve the problem. Scoffs!

WHERE ARE DEAF CHILDREN S RIGHTs? Some of you parents are very seflish and think they are always right all the time besides there are many of us deafies have explained it over and over all along but AUDIST ATTITUDE parents degraded Deaf people especially JILLO and SHEL90 who are very well educated people that I agreed with them in many ways of many topic. That tells me AUDIST ATTITUDE people think they are the expert of being deaf which it s NOT at all. They are making a huge mistake to force those kids to listen with devices and speak only .. Scoffs! I have no respect for those AUDIST attitude expecially Cloggy / Rick/ LMOL/ Boult/ and the rest of their audism followers who beat me u badly after all I have said it all along right here in the past. NO difference between JILLO, SHEB and ME as Sweetmind as a original one if you mind. I have a high respect of Jillo who doesnt give it up for Deaf children s rights and Deaf Languages that is our true natural visual language that audist attitude people who have no rights to take away from us from a start. So Be IT!. Good Job, Jillo!!!! Thank you Jillo/Sheb90.

Deaf children can learn ASL, speak as their best effort and lipread without having the requirement of any devices on them. We can do it without your audist attitude people s opinions because you were never in our Deaf shoes for many years.. Audism people have no faith in us and our deafness without devices.. Thats the issue with your damn ATTITUDES.

Have a good day!;)
Sweetmind

Last edited:
Now you're a psychologist, too.

No, just someone who interpreted it as any normal person would--that it was a compliment--that it was something any sophomore should be proud of obtaining.

That you and Petey tried to turn it into something negative is not surprising.

BTW what was your beef with Jackie assisting someone with interpreting for her? That she was trying to help her but was not a certified interpreter or that the SD did not provide an interpreter or both?

No, just someone who interpreted it as any normal person would--that it was a compliment--that it was something any sophomore should be proud of obtaining.

That you and Petey tried to turn it into something negative is not surprising.

BTW what was your beef with Jackie assisting someone with interpreting for her? That she was trying to help her but was not a certified interpreter or that the SD did not provide an interpreter or both?

My problem is that she was interpreting in a situation in which a misinterpreted word or phrase could very well lead to a parent's misunderstanding of the situation. In legal, educational, and medical situations, a professional, trained terp should be used at all times to insure that accurate interpretation is being accomplished and that ethical guidelines are being followed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back