disapointed in Speech and Language theraph!!

deafdyke said:
Maybe that's the problem..... She is not in the right setting. Her speech therapist probaly isn't even experianced with teaching dhh kids right?
Early on we need specialized education, like teachers and speech therapists who actually KNOW how to teach kids like us!

Her speech therapist is not qualified for Deaf only hearing children. There is no Deaf speech therapy here in Ireland. It not easy to get a Deaf speech therapy. My daughter have no choice only to go to the one she have now which she hates!!

TrippLA said:
If not work so send to special pre-school with all handicapped and all deaf kids, they can learn to use sign language, it suppose be much improving before start attend elementary school. I did that before and I failed speech theraph when before I was turn 3, just from 1989 to 1990 so stop it.

My daughter won't be qualified for special school but she have to be away from home to attend a Deaf school in Dublin, Ireland. That's 400 miles from where we live. There is no way for me to sent her away as she is far too young to be away from home. She is a homebird. In Your country, you are way ahead of us. You have more techo, education etc..where in my country we haven't got a very good techo, education for Deaf. Deaf Education is far behind here. Why don't you look up Irish Deaf Buddies and learn more about Irish Deaf Culture? Then you know and appreciate your education etc...

Off subject. I think that you might consider to get involved with some politicians in order to support a deaf education program. It might be hard for you to get started, but it will be smooth later. Your deaf people would recognize you as an important role for your accomplishment. - So that your kid and other deafies would have a better chance and flexible finding a good job in the future. In that way, the deaf parents would send their children to a "local" school with interpreters ... or closer to a deaf school.

U.S. President, John Kennedy's quote: "So, my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." He was Irishman. I think some of his relatives live in your country.

Suppose that he would say to Irish people like "So, my fellow Irish people, ask not what your country can do for you...."

OK, If she is keeping her hearing aids and mold destroy. She may prefer being deaf for awhile. Let her explore what she wants. She is only 3 and doesn't understand what's going on around her. I was very wild child. My parents had been looking for me for 3 hours missing. Guess where I am. Up the tree where I climbed. LOL. More I got older and realized what I want to hear or not. I had been wore hearing aids everyday all my life until now. I have cochlear implant and love it. I will try my best to help you out for your daughter.

Back