disapointed in Speech and Language theraph!!

Deehamilton

Reaction score
My daughter is 3 and half years old. She is Deaf. She goes to pre school and have visiting teacher every Monday for one hour. She also used to go to speech and language group, that last only 3 months every Wednesday. I got a letter last week for her to go for assigment to see if she needed to continue her speech and language. To my surprise, the lady said my daughter have no connect of understanding the language and that she fail her assigment. I was so upset coz my daughter is going to pre school and have visiting teacher every Monday. I couldn't understand it. I know that when i ask my daughter question about anything, she won't reply the question i ask, plus she doesn't listen. Is that normal for a deaf 3 years old??? Help is needed here!! I am really upset over it and wanted to do something about it. Any advise!! :pissed:

My younger daughter, deaf, is 2 yrs old now, is going to ECEAP/preschool every Monday there's speech therapy lady, she doesn't reply, too :aw: they all know too early for her plus is deaf, never sent such a letter to me to terminate, they are more willing to try :confused:

does ur daughter sign any even one sign to u? mine does like MOM, milk, eat, toast, ice cream, bed, table, sit, light off/on, book, ball, fridger, pekaboo(close her eye with her hands as play), no(shakingherhead), yes(nodding), most pointing what she wants and pulling me to door means she wants outside or to bathroom means she wants to bathe, also she could put back the puzzle A to Z and other game like animals, snack, numbers correctly all her childish signs are so neat and smart. When she joined at ECEAP she didnt have known any sign language, I think ur daughter should go preschool to watch with peers it helps her to learn how communicate when she watches other peers do :/

If they still refuses to try or last to teach ur daughter, Maybe at ur home u would buy her DVD Baby einstein Wordsworth, there's sign language with each picture and Marlee Matlin, my daughter loves to watch and how she got learned more sign languages :)

Deehamilton said:
My daughter is 3 and half years old. She is Deaf. She goes to pre school and have visiting teacher every Monday for one hour. She also used to go to speech and language group, that last only 3 months every Wednesday. I got a letter last week for her to go for assigment to see if she needed to continue her speech and language. To my surprise, the lady said my daughter have no connect of understanding the language and that she fail her assigment. I was so upset coz my daughter is going to pre school and have visiting teacher every Monday. I couldn't understand it. I know that when i ask my daughter question about anything, she won't reply the question i ask, plus she doesn't listen. Is that normal for a deaf 3 years old??? Help is needed here!! I am really upset over it and wanted to do something about it. Any advise!! :pissed:

:jaw: Wow, she is a Hardcore Deafie at age of 3 1/2!!!!!:-o

It is the best way for your speech therapist to work with your daughter individually in a small room with no window. I guarantee that this will work for her.

I recalled when I was about 8 years old, it helped me to focus on my speech. My therapist was so wonderful. I think that a 3 1/2 years old, probably, should be ok.

A group of students in a room is NOT successful. (If your daughter is in the group which is ok as long as they are learning something, but a speech therapy it must be individual in an isolated room.) It is not cheap, but it really makes a difference.

Suppose that it is not helping her in the group, then I recommend you to find another school in other town. Make sure that you get some feedbacks from your friends, relative, or neighbors about other school.

webexplorer said:
It is the best way for your speech therapist to work with your daughter individually in a small room with no window. I guarantee that this will work for her.

I recalled when I was about 8 years old, it helped me to focus on my speech. My therapist was so wonderful. I think that a 3 1/2 years old, probably, should be ok.

A group of students in a room is NOT successful. It is not cheap, but it really makes a difference.

my thought opposite, to be around/social with the same age to learn communicating or watching them communicating like my younger daughter how got learned to communicate when she was asked or told she understood lately then so does to them I was so impressed/amazed/proud :)

what about mondays going to class and thursdays alone with speech therapy :dunno:

I edited my post at the last minute. I talked my mother about me. She doesn't remember, but she thinks quite often.

I am not sure what you mean only on Mondays and Thursday? My mother's job was to drive and drop me off at school every single day. Indeed, she worked hard than any mother. (shhh - she pissed me off that I don't remember that. She said that it was pain the ass.)

webexplorer said:
I edited my post at the last minute. I talked my mother about me. She doesn't remember, but she thinks quite often.

I am not sure what you mean only on Mondays and Thursday? My mother's job was to drive and drop me off at school every single day. Indeed, she worked hard than any mother. (shhh - she pissed me off that I don't remember that. She said that it was pain the ass.)

:lol: @last message

I meant every monday my younger daughter is going to preschool for 1 and half hrs with speech therapy and peers, every Thursday ASL/speech therapy is coming to my house to be able alone with my daughter :)

FreeWoman77 said:
:lol: @last message

I meant every monday my younger daughter is going to preschool for 1 and half hrs with speech therapy and peers, every Thursday ASL/speech therapy is coming to my house to be able alone with my daughter :)

I never thought of a therapist at your house. It is not a bad idea. But, I am not quite sure that because a small room at school that she is not familiar with has to focus with her speech teacher. That's my opinion. It makes you feel comfortable with your daughter and the therapist at your house. My guess that at her age might not be ready to be in the group. She is not the only one... Actually, I think that her teacher (not therapist) could be a problem so you might want to discuss with your local friends who knows about other school.

My hearing 8-years-old neice had a problem with her teacher, and she transferred to a school 2nd time. Finally, she found a smaller school in the country, and she loves her teachers and her peers.

I remember being in kindergarten and swooped up into this tall dark room to watch this old bat tell me the proper mouth ways to say "T" and "P", and to me it was ridiculous and I just couldn't understand why I had to learn these things when I already knew how to talk.

I was HOH, but to a deaf person, their language is sign ........ so it's possible they still think the same thing. We learn Dutch when we're African, sort of???

But maybe if they saw an older Deaf person who talked like Mom, they would understand that they learned about your age and they are the only one of their deaf group that knows how to order at McD's, etc..... of course reading lips is an entirely different experience, very tiring and same basically just never get the hang of it! But with what I do know, being around the deaf and going to a Deaf College/University is the best for the deaf.

FreeWoman77 said:
My younger daughter, deaf, is 2 yrs old now, is going to ECEAP/preschool every Monday there's speech therapy lady, she doesn't reply, too :aw: they all know too early for her plus is deaf, never sent such a letter to me to terminate, they are more willing to try :confused:

does ur daughter sign any even one sign to u? mine does like MOM, milk, eat, toast, ice cream, bed, table, sit, light off/on, book, ball, fridger, pekaboo(close her eye with her hands as play), no(shakingherhead), yes(nodding), most pointing what she wants and pulling me to door means she wants outside or to bathroom means she wants to bathe, also she could put back the puzzle A to Z and other game like animals, snack, numbers correctly all her childish signs are so neat and smart. When she joined at ECEAP she didnt have known any sign language, I think ur daughter should go preschool to watch with peers it helps her to learn how communicate when she watches other peers do :/

Yes, my daughter had some ISL (Irish sign Language) and also some speech. But they are saying she doesn't understand language. I give you an example: She ask my daughter put the teddy beside the truck, my daughter put the teddy on top of the truck, that kind of language i am taliking about. She is only 3 years old. You right, the DVD might help her. But in ireland we don't have much dvd for children who are deaf. It tragic!! She is in pre school with hearing not Deaf as there is no pre school for Deaf.

webexplorer said:

A group of students in a room is NOT successful. (If your daughter is in the group which is ok as long as they are learning something, but a speech therapy it must be individual in an isolated room.) It is not cheap, but it really makes a difference.

Suppose that it is not helping her in the group, then I recommend you to find another school in other town. Make sure that you get some feedbacks from your friends, relative, or neighbors about other school.

You are right, dead right. My daughter is better off one to one not a group. She works better one to one than a group of kids around her. Not only that she is the only deaf all hearing.

webexplorer said:
I never thought of a therapist at your house. It is not a bad idea. But, I am not quite sure that because a small room at school that she is not familiar with has to focus with her speech teacher. That's my opinion. It makes you feel comfortable with your daughter and the therapist at your house. My guess that at her age might not be ready to be in the group. She is not the only one... Actually, I think that her teacher (not therapist) could be a problem so you might want to discuss with your local friends who knows about other school.

My hearing 8-years-old neice had a problem with her teacher, and she transferred to a school 2nd time. Finally, she found a smaller school in the country, and she loves her teachers and her peers.

In Ireland we don't have a speech therapy in our home. That's not allowed, only visiting teacher comes every Monday for one hour. That would be briilant if that happen in Ireland where we are living in Kerry (Listowel). We have to go to the clinic where they held speech and language group. It the same with the pre school that she goes to. She never spoken to her teacher since she started last Sept. What do that tell you about my daughter??

Deehamilton said:
FreeWoman77 said:

Yes, my daughter had some ISL (Irish sign Language) and also some speech. But they are saying she doesn't understand language. I give you an example: She ask my daughter put the teddy beside the truck, my daughter put the teddy on top of the truck, that kind of language i am taliking about. She is only 3 years old. You right, the DVD might help her. But in ireland we don't have much dvd for children who are deaf. It tragic!! She is in pre school with hearing not Deaf as there is no pre school for Deaf.

oh I see, not sure how different ISL and ASL :aw:

U explained about teddy.. I think that is OK since ur daughter is deaf learning little by little, may be take long or short, wow, therapy has no patience :/ My younger daughter didnt do correct sometimes too, therapy asked her put, u know pyramid color and size, my dayghter put messed size and didnt respond color correct but give her a time to realize/learn, like puzzle A to Z took her for 3 months finally she can put all right place, impressed me now her lesson with pyramids/colors and shape :)

Oh really! You are from Ireland! What a nice country! I am from U.S.A.

I see the problem that you are dealing with your daughter's needs for the education and speech in your country. That is tough one.

The best thing is to do for you to borrow some easy children books from a library in your area. You need to pretend that you are hearing. All you have to do is to smile at her so that she would continue reading and you talk the words with her. A therapist will help her....

I assume that you have three children (two hearings and one deaf) - Am I right? (I read some of your posts on the forum.) It is more important that she is not in the special education... I mean that she should be flexible in the "hearing world."

Actually, it takes her time to learn the right thing. (I hope so.) Please never let any body says that your child is slow learner or speech. She will get in back normal later on. You should convince someone to put your daughter in the individual for a speech therapy. The problem is that you really cannot trust anybody.

webexplorer said:
Oh really! You are from Ireland! What a nice country! I am from U.S.A.

All my children are Deaf. Two born Deaf, One became Deaf from Viral Infection at the age of 4 years old. One is age 9 years, no problem as she was hearing when she was born, she had lots of words. The second died from Potter's. The third one is 3 years and a very difficult child. She is my problem at the moment. The baby is Deaf by birth. She is 16 months old. You are right, she is mix with Deaf and Hearing world. She won't allow herself to mix with other children. I get lot of books from the internet for her age, some help some don't. Myself and my husband are Deaf too. We both have oral and ISL. I don't know if we are doing the right method for our 3 years old daughter, coz she is difficult child. How did you deal with your child who is Deaf? Did you ever have that kind of problem?

I forgot to add my previous post. I do not have a child, and I am not plan to have one. My friends have children, and we talked about their kid's school, and other issues. I will ask my friend about your situation.

I think that it is a problem for your daughter that she rather to be isolated. If this is what you mean about that. Your free time during the weekend should be spent with your children outside, and they should socialize with other children somehow. Maybe, you could find some parents who have a deaf kid in her age so that they could play outside in order to become "normal" for her to socialize with. I am not sure about your culture because of the old wars in Ireland- I hope that I am wrong about that, and hope that it is not rude for me to say that to you.

Just forget the computer stuff for now because she is 3 years old. The children books are good start with. Read and talk with her, and do this everyday - even the same books if she likes to read again... (Easy books to read with good graphics, even it is for two years old children.) Good Luck.

One more thing, when she gets older (approximately 10 years old), I recommend that she study in one or two foreign language(s) so that she will get a good chance to be smart as long as she wishes to study the languages.

For Dee...

Hello Dee,

I want to help you for your daughter's problem. I can understand she is only 3 years old. I think it is normal for her being troubled like terrible two or 3. I was like that when I was 3. I drove my mom nuts.

She may hated to being deaf for some reasons. Look like she wants to hear like hearing people. You may try her into cochlear implant. I love to hear when I was kid and always wore hearing aids everyday. Never missed it. I don't like being deaf as child, that's why I drove my mom nuts. LOL

dolphinmom said:
Hello Dee,

I want to help you for your daughter's problem. I can understand she is only 3 years old. I think it is normal for her being troubled like terrible two or 3. I was like that when I was 3. I drove my mom nuts.

She may hated to being deaf for some reasons. Look like she wants to hear like hearing people. You may try her into cochlear implant. I love to hear when I was kid and always wore hearing aids everyday. Never missed it. I don't like being deaf as child, that's why I drove my mom nuts. LOL

You are rite about one thing. She drive me insane. Her behave is unreal. She has 40 percent hearing loss at the moment. So there is no point in her having CI. She hate wearing hearing aids. She broke one of her hearing aids and mould. She has a terrible temper and won't get involve with anyone that including the speech therapy. No wonder the speech therapy have no patient for her. I have tried evrything with her. My last hope to get opinion from you alldeaf to try and help me out.

She is in pre school with hearing not Deaf as there is no pre school for Deaf.
Maybe that's the problem..... She is not in the right setting. Her speech therapist probaly isn't even experianced with teaching dhh kids right?
Early on we need specialized education, like teachers and speech therapists who actually KNOW how to teach kids like us!

If not work so send to special pre-school with all handicapped and all deaf kids, they can learn to use sign language, it suppose be much improving before start attend elementary school. I did that before and I failed speech theraph when before I was turn 3, just from 1989 to 1990 so stop it.

Back