Digital Hearing!

deafdyke said:
Cain, sorry but not ALL profoundly deaf hearing aid users will qualify for an implant. If you have profound/severe hearing loss and you're HOH with them on, then you are NOT qualified for a CI

You have NO FUCKING IDEA!! This is not a criteria! a person of all kind of hearing loss can try the CI evaluation to see if qualified or not.

To myself, I felt I am HOH with HA on but when I took the CI evaluation (CI Eval. is entirely different from HA eval.) and got qualified for CI. I have severe to profound bilateral sensioneural hearing loss!

So basically, you can't say that to Cain! you simply can tell him to take CI eval first! Everyone's outcome are always different!

Boult, no I know what I am talking about! If you have a severe/profound loss and hear within a mild level with hearing aids or hear more then 60% WITH hearing aids then you're NOT eligable for the CI. (I remember some people over at Hearing Exchange who have severe/profound loss and who wear aids, saying that they went to see their audis about CI and were told they heard too well with hearing aids to qualify for it) I know that traditionally the dcb dividing line between hoh and deaf has been 70 dcb, but some audis consider people all the way down to 80 dcbs to be "severely hoh" Perhaps your audi uses the new system, or perhaps you hear borderline severe/moderate loss with hearing aids! (and yes I understand the difference...I can hear speech VERY well EVEN without my hearing aids...I always think I can hear a lot without my hearing aids and I even went through an ENTIRE school year without wearing ANY form of amplification at ALL! (and I even made honor roll!)
I also know that some people with conductive loss qualify as "deaf" (I am almost deaf for example and I have a conductive loss. I mean I can't even hear thunder or a cat purring even WITH my aids, except if it's WICKED loud)

deafdyke said:
Boult, no I know what I am talking about! If you have a severe/profound loss and hear within a mild level with hearing aids or hear more then 60% WITH hearing aids then you're NOT eligable for the CI. (I remember some people over at Hearing Exchange who have severe/profound loss and who wear aids, saying that they went to see their audis about CI and were told they heard too well with hearing aids to qualify for it) I know that traditionally the dcb dividing line between hoh and deaf has been 70 dcb, but some audis consider people all the way down to 80 dcbs to be "severely hoh" Perhaps your audi uses the new system, or perhaps you hear borderline severe/moderate loss with hearing aids! (and yes I understand the difference...I can hear speech VERY well EVEN without my hearing aids...I always think I can hear a lot without my hearing aids and I even went through an ENTIRE school year without wearing ANY form of amplification at ALL! (and I even made honor roll!)
I also know that some people with conductive loss qualify as "deaf" (I am almost deaf for example and I have a conductive loss. I mean I can't even hear thunder or a cat purring even WITH my aids, except if it's WICKED loud)

Pez,

I have severe to profound bilateral (1)sensioneural hearing loss UNAIDED and can hear within a mild level or more AIDED and I got CI! Keep in mind, I do well in PURE TONE testing... and I fail in open sentence meaning I can't understand the sentence without visual cues.

those who do well in pure tone and open sentence test will not qualify for CI.

by the way it is not "dcbs" it is "dbls" (in music industry, it is db = decibel ) in audie field it is db and the l = loss so dbls "decibel loss"

you can't say "severe/moderate" that's uphill be sure to say moderate to severe or mild to moderate or mild to severe.

1. sensioneural hearing loss A hearing loss due to damage to or deterioration of non-development of the hair cells of the cochlea and /or the auditory nerve which transmits sound to the brain.

Last edited:
Oh by the way Wendy is more HOH than me.. she does the phone aided so well before she got CI. now she has CI and does better on phone than before.. in your line of thinking, Wendy would not qualify for CI.. now see where you are wrong!

Boult, you read too fast. If you hear speech(not just sounds) at a HOH loss, then you're not qualified for CI. If you hear more then 60% of speech with aids then you're not qualified for a CI. Your residual hearing is probaly very good in the low frequncies, with aids you can probaly hear stuff that I can't hear.

deafdyke said:
Boult, you read too fast. If you hear speech(not just sounds) at a HOH loss, then you're not qualified for CI. If you hear more then 60% of speech with aids then you're not qualified for a CI. Your residual hearing is probaly very good in the low frequncies, with aids you can probaly hear stuff that I can't hear.

No, I didn't read too fast.. I took my time figuring out your post and replied what I need to reply.

and still, you are giving wrong information.. You know NOTHING!

See "open-set sentence recognition" under Adutls I scored "O" on it.

http://www.cochlearimplant.com./hearinghealth/candidacy.html
Candidacy requirements differ by country. In the United States and Canada, the following general criteria are used to determine candidacy:

Adults

*18 years of age or older.
*Severe-to-profound, bilateral sensorineural hearing loss (greater than or equal to 70 dB HL).
*Postlingual onset of severe or profound hearing loss.
*Limited benefit from appropriately fitted hearing aids, defined as scoring 50% or less on a test of open-set sentence recognition (HINT Sentences)

Children

*12 months through 17 years of age.
*Profound, bilateral sensorineural deafness (greater than or equal to 90 dB HL).
*Use of appropriately fitted hearing aids for at least 6 months in children 2 through 17 years of age, or at least 3 months in children 12 through 23 months of age. The minimum duration of hearing aid use is waived if x-rays indicate ossification of the cochlea.
*Little or no benefit from appropriately fitted hearing aids. In younger children (4 years of age and younger), lack of benefit is defined as a failure to reach developmentally appropriate auditory milestones (such as spontaneous response to name in quiet or to environmental sounds) measured using the Infant-Toddler Meaningful Auditory Integration Scale or Meaningful Auditory Integration Scale OR less than or equal to 20% correct on a simple open-set word recognition test (Multisyllabic Lexical Neighborhood Test) administered using monitored live voice (70 dB SPL). In older children (over 4 years of age), lack of hearing aid benefit is defined as scoring less than or equal to 12% on a difficult open-set word recognition test (Phonetically Balanced-Kindergarten Test) OR less than or equal to 30% on an open-set sentence test (Hearing In Noise Test for Children) administered using recorded materials in the sound field (70 dB SPL).

deafdyke said:
Cain, sorry but not ALL profoundly deaf hearing aid users will qualify for an implant. If you have profound/severe hearing loss and you're HOH with them on, then you are NOT qualified for a CI

I am severing to profound and I can hear with hearing aids of digital while I took test. I fail the test because I couldn't understand the words. I took several tests from ear doctor and audio. office to pre-approve. The cochlear implant is not for everyone. For example, my friend can hear if there are scream and scream around her. She not able get cochlear implant at all because her nerves are weak. So she cannot get cochlear implant. It mostly depends on your cochlea function.

My exp. the doctor refer me to cat scan to check my nerves, bone, and all see inside my head ensure before they implant on my head and cochlea. So hearing aids of both digital and analog for everyone, they can hear the loudness. Expect the cochlear implant is restrict due health, speech skills (if you are older and possible not get it. Due cochlear implant requested a lot practice).

I read what boult correction you about cochlear implant for approving get cochlear implant. Boult is right but didn't add about "nerves". Nerves are important to be sure and correct for our brain and cochlea due they are hook together that what I learn from my surgery doctor explained. I used against cochlear implant in past what I believe that I spoke several people who has cochlear implant in old time. I asked they do they take test before cochlear implant. They answered my question, "no". I explain to them what doctor research did to me and they said that today as present is much better. So cochlear implant, hearing aids, and vibrate bone are depend on our "head" respond.

In addition, HOH, HA, and deaf are mean the same beside HOH is more like for senior people.

ideafspy,

"nerves" which one do you mean? auditory nerves or hair nerves? when I says sensioneural it means hair nerve (cell). Of course "Auditory nerves" has to be working and intact in order for CI to work.

Boult said:
ideafspy,

"nerves" which one do you mean? auditory nerves or hair nerves? when I says sensioneural it means hair nerve (cell). Of course "Auditory nerves" has to be working and intact in order for CI to work.
:o excuse me. I was not pay attention :)

Boult, actually I do know that if you have a word comprehension level above 60% with hearing aids, then you're probaly not eligable for a CI. If you have a mild loss with hearing aids on then NO implant center will implant you.
What next? Are you going to claim that all deaf people are eligable for CI? People without auditory nerves and coachleas are not eligable for CI. People with conductive loss (70 dcb) are not eligable for CI. People with central hearing issues are not eligable for CI.
Please stop lumping me in with CSN and Sweetmind. I'm actually pretty openminded about CI.

deafdyke said:
Boult, actually I do know that if you have a word comprehension level above 60% with hearing aids, then you're probaly not eligable for a CI.

I already showed you the Candidacy requirement which listed
"Limited benefit from appropriately fitted hearing aids, defined as scoring 50% or less on a test of open-set sentence recognition (HINT Sentences)"

which is same as "word comprehension level" by your weird standard. I call it "open-set sentence recognition" or "Hearing in Noise Test" I told you in previous that I was given a sheet of paper with 20 lines for me to write down sentence, I could hear them but can make it out at all. so I "failed" meaning I scored 0% but I hear them fine with HA.

In your previous post, you used this, "If you hear more then 60% of speech with aids then you're not qualified for a CI." To me, you are saying it completely different and to me, it means that "hear the speech" not comprehend the speech" like hearing the sound of speech! You WEREN'T clear yourself. This is why I posted the "candidacy requirement" in all of your post, you are using all kind of wrong words or symbols. you are just confusing me and others. there is no such thing as "dcb" when there is "dB"

If you have a mild loss with hearing aids on then NO implant center will implant you.
This is irrelevant.

For me, with HA on, I have this loss IN PURE TONE testing NOT in recognition test! this test require me to raise hand when I hear a tone of all kind of frequency! my test showed mild to severe.

WITHOUT HA ON, it showed I have severe to profound loss, that's one of qualifiying mark for CI

What next? Are you going to claim that all deaf people are eligable for CI?
I never said this!

[quote[
People without auditory nerves and coachleas are not eligable for CI. [/quote]
There are another alternative for those without auditory nerves and cochlea which is called ABI (Auditory Brainstem Implant)

If this person has a auditory nerves but ossified cochlea, then can get one as long she/he pass the CI evaluation which is more complicated and longer than traditional HA test.

People with conductive loss (70 dcb) are not eligable for CI.
conductive loss is irrelevant. CI does not need it. Maybe this is for BAHA (Bone-Anchored Hearing Aids)
To qualify for CI, you MUST have "Severe to Profound" Sensorineural Hearing Loss. Not Conductive loss.

People with central hearing issues are not eligable for CI.
Do you mean Auditory Neuropathy? There are some CI users that have this. why do you think they are not eligible?

http://cochlearimplants.dallasoto.com/theear/hearingloss.htm

Please stop lumping me in with CSN and Sweetmind. I'm actually pretty openminded about CI.
What make you think I am doing that? eh? I never though of that. wow!
I haven't said you are closed mind. I only criticized you because you are posting misinformation which I don't LIKE it!
That's why I am here and correcting you.

I posted the most correct information which is a FACT straight from Advanced Bionic showing the candidacy requirement. For Children, it is lot lot more complicated with Adult.

Just accept the fact that I posted above! Those are not misinformation.

Do a research before you throw it from your mind carelessly!

Good night!

I have Phonak digital hearing aid, it's very powerful than old anglog hearing aid. Medical Assistance and Medicare approved at county hospital.

DBPowerWCRulez said:
I have Phonak digital hearing aid, it's very powerful than old anglog hearing aid. Medical Assistance and Medicare approved at county hospital.

I have Bernafon ITE's they are analog, but then I also recently bought the very best Digital hearing aids, because i thought "Oh yeh, i want da best, ma bruva!" but they suck. Well, they dont suck, they just aren't that much better for how much you have to pay..

Like I had to pay over 8000 dollars for Phnak, then they didnt work so well on the phone, but i wasnt allowed to send them back - so i bought another pair for 6000 dollars, and this time, they were...ok,,, but i dont wear them so often because they arent much better than my analog ones.

My advice is to try before you buy for liek, a couple of months, because its a really personal thing. The sound is definately different with digital.

Loved It

The digitals opened up my world in a huge way...Unfortunently i ended up losing all my hearing and now have a cochlear implant

In July 2002, two out of three companies manufacturing cochlear implants have reported cases of bacterial meningitis in patients. The FDA is following up with all the manufacturers of cochlear implants. Surveys of cochlear implant centers currently underway suggest there are additional, unreported, cases of meningitis in the cochlear implant population. The onset of meningitis symptoms ranged from less than 24 hours to greater than 5 years from time of implant.
On July 25, 2002, Dr. David Feigal of the FDA reportedly stated that the agency had found no evidence that the implants are contaminated. However, Feigal said the implants may be an additional risk factor in meningitis.
The same day it was reported that Professor Graeme Clark, the inventor of the bionic ear who implanted the first device in 1978, claimed that the increase in the incidence of meningitis was due to a design change by the U.S. manufacturer of the device. Professor Clark stated that the new design had created "dead space" within the ear providing a home for infection and bacteria. "It is a very great problem if engineers per se design something without due recourse to biologists and medical people," Professor Clark commented.

I got it off from the website, that s the one of the reasons why I m against CI. I find it too risky to have CI. I have noticed about children that has CI, they re not happy about those.... I really wish the parents of the children can wait til they are 18 to make their decisions for themselves. If you have CI and you are happy, then I m happy for you.

Bookwormet said:
http://www.lieffcabraser.com/cochlear.htm......here s the address where I have found the informations.

It is old news and that url you posted above is "frivolous" really anyway the info on Lieffcabraser seems to be outdated because FDA has updated the notice few month ago while Lieff said "July 2003"

here's the direct link and please read everything in there! Updated as of Sept 2003!
http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/safety/cochlear.html

That Lieffcabraser only wants your money if you decide to do a lawsuit. that's why they were jumping at chance just like any other lawyer when they see $$ signs in their eyes. So far, it has been a year since the notice started and I haven't heard of any lawsuit lately.

Have a good week!

thanks Boult,for all the links. I m new on this forums and I m not familiar with the past threads.... I was trying to express myself about the distrubing view I have seen. There s a war out there between CI and Deaf world and hearing world... once again, thanks, Boult

I found this thread interesting because I have a digital hearing aid for my right ear. Digital hearing aid compared to analog hearing aid doesnt have weird vibrations and helps me to hear clearly. Yes the digital hearing aids are expensive - about $1,000 each. Hopefully the cost will go down to affordable levels. ;)

Back