Deforestation: Problems

have you ever seen a biosphere that includes livestocks?

Yes, and plants too, but that does not mean we won't be able to or have to more efficiently make Oxygen, in the future, with genetically manufactured plants or some other device. It will probably not happen in our life time, but you never know.

Yes, and plants too, but that does not mean we won't be able to or have to more efficiently make Oxygen, in the future, with genetically manufactured plants or some other device. It will probably not happen in our life time, but you never know.

Or it might never happen. Who knows? :dunno:

Well, since the zone of life on Earth is a biosphere, the answer to that would be "yes".

really? then why do we have to produce O2 and CO2 by machines?

hint - it's because we would have gotten to the point where we have to live in artificial biosphere

biosphere_aerial.jpg

it is very likely that if we got to the point where we have to live in biosphere.... we would have an ability to produce food that can replace livestocks.

Livestock is very destructive and wasteful for biosphere.

Well, technically, our galaxy is going to collide with another galaxy just before our sun burns out anyway, but it would be nice to have a backup plan before then. Just sayin...

Andromeda

not for another.... I dunno - million years or something :lol:

it is very likely that if we got to the point where we have to live in biosphere.... we would have an ability to produce food that can replace livestocks.

Livestock is very destructive and wasteful for biosphere.

We are currently living in a biosphere.

We are currently living in a biosphere.

ok..............................................

you are aware of "artificial biosphere", right? so don't you think, with logical progression, see below - bold red font....

I agree. I'm not saying it's a good situation, nor do I see a good solution. We all have to inhabit this planet and the loss of species is tragic. I think the best we can do is try for a balance and save what we can save.

In the future, I can see oxygen and CO^2 made by machines.
that would mean we'll be living in artificial biosphere like below, no?

biosphere_aerial.jpg

In the meantime, we better start repairing the damage we have done and stop creating more.

we can't really repair. it's mostly permanent. very very very sad. what we can do is, like you said, stop creating more damage.

you are aware of "artificial biosphere", right? so don't you think, with logical progression, see below - bold red font....

biosphere_aerial.jpg

You didn't say "artificial biosphere". You said "biosphere".

we can't really repair. it's mostly permanent. very very very sad. what we can do is, like you said, stop creating more damage.

You can do what is necessary to allow nature to return to balance. When allowed to function as intended, nature as amazing reparitive powers.

You didn't say "artificial biosphere". You said "biosphere".

the context should be enough for you to deduce it as artificial type. I'll spell it out next time then.

You can do what is necessary to allow nature to return to balance. When allowed to function as intended, nature as amazing reparitive powers.

not really.

Once it's gone, it's gone. we have a very very tiny percent of arable land left. nature can heal itself but it's largely unhelpful for people. we need food and water and the natural ability to produce food and water for us is shrinking at shocking rate.

the context should be enough for you to deduce it as artificial type. I'll spell it out next time then.

Good. I would prefer you be more specific, because since we were talking about deforestation, which occurs in a natural environment, it appeared that you were referring to a biosphere, not an artificially constructed environment.

not really.

Once it's gone, it's gone. we have a very very tiny percent of arable land left. nature can heal itself but it's largely unhelpful for people. we need food and water and the natural ability to produce food and water for us is shrinking at shocking rate.

It would be helpful if people would do what they need to do to assist in the healing properties nature contains. In fact, it would do far more good than attempting to recreate nature artificially because man destroyed it to start with. That simply perpetuates the cycle of destruction.

biosphere_aerial.jpg

Yes, but without the plants and animals.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have the plants and animals, but with over population the question is how do you deal with it? And, this structure is not made for earth, it is made to house people on other planets. In this thread, earth is the question.

No matter how much we repair what we have, eventually, (if humans continue to multiply) we will run out of room.

As an optimist, I believe we will find ways around it, but that just wishful thinking.

IMO (and this is just my speculation) the root of the problem is too many humans.

We might not be able to control what people want and what they want to do and reasons for doing so, but we can control how many humans are on the earth...

This might be a bit radical but the theoretical solution is simple: if you lessen the amount of humans, there is less you have to bother with fearing about mankind destroying nature. It can't be helped, since more space and resources are needed to be consumed.

Who knows, maybe we might have a war soon and nukes will kill 80-90% of the world's population.
It might not be such a bad idea for nature, as radical as it sounds.

IMO (and this is just my speculation) the root of the problem is too many humans.

We might not be able to control what people want and what they want to do and reasons for doing so, but we can control how many humans are on the earth...

This might be a bit radical but the theoretical solution is simple: if you lessen the amount of humans, there is less you have to bother with fearing about mankind destroying nature. It can't be helped, since more space and resources are needed to be consumed.

Who knows, maybe we might have a war soon and nukes will kill 80-90% of the world's population.
It might not be such a bad idea for nature, as radical as it sounds.

Unfortunately, that is the problem. There are too many human beings, but I am not in favour of killing them off. Far from it.

I have mentioned in the past that the only reason why we are able to sustain a population of this size is due to the oil, coal, fossil fuels and the natural resources. Without these, we wouldn't be able to sustain a population of more than 500 million.

Yes, but without the plants and animals.
"Artificial" biosphere does have plant. It's a very crucial function to a working biosphere for long-term.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have the plants and animals, but with over population the question is how do you deal with it? And, this structure is not made for earth, it is made to house people on other planets. In this thread, earth is the question.
You are mistaken. This artificial biosphere is for Earth too in case it has become too inhospitable to live outside naturally. We've already are living in "biosphere" of all kinds in some sense.

Greenhouse. Submarines. Aircraft Carrier. Antarctica Research Station. Oil Rig. They're nearly self-sustaining environment but it's close enough. Human is incredibly adaptive. Human is basically the only species in Earth that can live in just about anywhere including space. We could be living in underwater biosphere, north pole biosphere, desert biosphere, etc.

and believe me - overpopulation is not even an issue in here. it's just a convenient distraction for media to scare people or something. if there's overpopulation going on.... then why do we have plenty of space left at inland area? So it's not an overpopulation.... it's the misallocation of resource.

No matter how much we repair what we have, eventually, (if humans continue to multiply) we will run out of room.

As an optimist, I believe we will find ways around it, but that just wishful thinking.
It's not a wishful thinking. It's totally doable and sadly enough - too many people are just too ignorant about our looming environmental disaster. The largest percentage of people who are ignorant about it is the poor people in developing countries. They are the one who are cutting down forests and killing animals to extinction to satisfy our needs. When I say "our", I'm referring to modern people like us in modern countries with cars, suburbs, condos, etc.

There are already several non-profit organizations going out there in poor countries to educate them about their consequence and environment but it's still very hard to convince them because they still don't get it. It's exactly like trying to explain to people in old time that Earth is round, not flat but people can't fathom it because they see what they see - "I see Earth as flat and if I go to that end, I will fall off."

Back