Definition of "book learning"

I'm curious, what is the name of the company if you don't mind telling me?

Shoot, I forgot. Lemme ask my dad. He is his sister's son.

:thumb: Just like what Reba said - "the best combination would be formal med school training AND hands-on experience." (as in both real life hand-on experience plus formal education)

Totally agree...

I did think about getting my PhD but blah. LOL!

What exactly is your idea of a "book learning"? And the definition of it. Is "higher learning" to mean about philosophy or about the pure science of learning? Or is it about history? Many of these subjects can be traced back to the time of classical learning steeped in philsophical upbringing.

I find the very concept of "higher learning" and "higher education" irritating, pompous, and insulting. It implies that one set or kind of knowledge is superior to another and I think that is egotistical hogwash. I rate it right along with the concept that some knowledge is more "manly" than others... i.e. "Real men know how to fix cars."

I happen to enjoy ASL, philosophy, martial arts, and blowing up balloon animals. What does that make me? Myself, nothing more, nothing less.

Both adults and children should be encouraged to learn that which they are interested in and less pressured to learn what some know-it-all thinks they should learn "for their own good."

You can only learn what's available; you can only learn from what is available.

After that either you like to learn or you don't. Most people don't unless they are forced to or driven by the lure of greed, "College graduates earn a half million dollars more over their life time than high school dropouts." If it weren't for greed a lot fewer people would bother with the three "R's".

Formal education relies heavily on book learning and tends to eschew "lab" work.

Non book learning is growing scarce and in my opinion will grow more so. One woman I knew became a top mechanic: at 3 years old she was handing daddy a half inch open end wrench when he asked for it. Another became a carpenter: at 7 years old she was carrying shingles up a ladder to her daddy. Try doing that in today's climate of anti children.

I'm self educated, the only way I could get educated seen as I'm a grammar school drop out. No way to prove either one but I think they both show. Libraries are wonderful for people like me. I've devoured several.

I believe most self educated people are book learned as books are much easier to come by than people with experience.

But I'm looking at Youtube, Expert Village, Howitworks.com and similar sites.

I believe cyber education is coming at us. Informal, unstructured, unplanned, and who knows what the people who are putting it all together in their own unique ways will come up with.

You know, Berry, I think it was sad indeed when so many academic programs did away with their internship requirements. That is where the true learning took place that made the "book learning" useful and applicable. There is much to be said for apprenticeship.

You know, Berry, I think it was sad indeed when so many academic programs did away with their internship requirements. That is where the true learning took place that made the "book learning" useful and applicable. There is much to be said for apprenticeship.

Agreed.

Also some people just don't learn well from books. If they don't have someone there showing them they can't put it together. Now that it is finally recognized that different people have different modes of learning it is time to put this knowledge into practice so more people can learn more things that they enjoy.

Education should be an enriching experience not a "riching" experience.

Agreed.

Also some people just don't learn well from books. If they don't have someone there showing them they can't put it together. Now that it is finally recognized that different people have different modes of learning it is time to put this knowledge into practice so more people can learn more things that they enjoy.

Education should be an enriching experience not a "riching" experience.

Although I love to read, I learn better from hands on experience.

I love the DIY sites! I can learn so much. I agree that we may have to rename "book learning" to "using 'The Google' to learn."

Education should not be about $$$. Unfortunately, money is all that motivates some people.

:laugh2:

I find the very concept of "higher learning" and "higher education" irritating, pompous, and insulting. It implies that one set or kind of knowledge is superior to another and I think that is egotistical hogwash. I rate it right along with the concept that some knowledge is more "manly" than others... i.e. "Real men know how to fix cars."

I happen to enjoy ASL, philosophy, martial arts, and blowing up balloon animals. What does that make me? Myself, nothing more, nothing less.

Both adults and children should be encouraged to learn that which they are interested in and less pressured to learn what some know-it-all thinks they should learn "for their own good."

:gpost:

I've always wondered why there are only a handful of institutions that call for higher titles: educational titles (Dr., Prof.), military (Lt. Col., Sgt.), political (Pres., Sen.) church (Msgr., Fr.). Why do only these few areas of specialty warrant this type of recognition? What about people that are self-taught or that are competent in a field that just so happens not to have a system of recognition in place?

These titles illustrate that most people see a limited number of fields as respect-worthy and superior to all other fields. But aren't there so many other interests and intelligences that deserve this type of recognition?

Yes, it's like when athletes rake in mega bucks and the ballet companies struggle to stay afloat. That's what our society values.

I love the DIY sites! I can learn so much. I agree that we may have to rename "book learning" to "using 'The Google' to learn."

Education should not be about $$$. Unfortunately, money is all that motivates some people.

I'd be willing to bet Google taught me more than all my teachers and professors combined. And it was a whole lot cheaper too! :giggle:

Yes, it's like when athletes rake in mega bucks and the ballet companies struggle to stay afloat. That's what our society values.

But things can and do change, sometimes for the better.

Who'd a thunk -- Say 20 years ago. :hmm:

I sat down to visit with my wife who is a chef, horticulturist, artist, ceramicist, etceterist, and she was watching the cooking channel. Iron Chef America. Suddenly I realized: Cooking has become a high paid sport.

This world is a wonderful show - And I love watching it go by.

... Most people don't unless they are forced to or driven by the lure of greed, "College graduates earn a half million dollars more over their life time than high school dropouts." If it weren't for greed a lot fewer people would bother with the three "R's"....
My only disagreement with you is about "greed." Do you really consider it "greedy" to want pay raises and job advancements? If someone earns those things, how is that "greed?"

Don't hard working people have the right to improve the material quality of their lives without being considered "greedy?"

There are people who desire to learn new knowledge and skills. If they can parlay their knowledge and skills with a desire to apply them, enjoy what they do, fill a need within the community, and earn a living from that, who should call that "greed?"

My only disagreement with you is about "greed." Do you really consider it "greedy" to want pay raises and job advancements? If someone earns those things, how is that "greed?"

Don't hard working people have the right to improve the material quality of their lives without being considered "greedy?"

There are people who desire to learn new knowledge and skills. If they can parlay their knowledge and skills with a desire to apply them, enjoy what they do, fill a need within the community, and earn a living from that, who should call that "greed?"

I'm a strange duck, especially for an American. Gimme enough food to keep my tummy from growling, a comfy place to sleep, and I'm doing fine. Add a cup of coffee and a good book -- You have a happy man.

My wife has spent her life studying things she enjoys: Horticulture, ceramics, cooking: She could have taken that much brain power and that much time to become a CEO: Instead she chose to be an artist.

My daughter has the perfect life. She met some Deaf people, fell in love with them, Deaf Culture, and ASL. Those loves led to an interesting, decent paying, career.

Anyone who studies things they do not enjoy studying, who advances to a job they do not enjoy -- in order to get more money -- Is sacrificing their happiness, their pleasure in life, for money.

I don't begrudge them what they have earned, but I say the price they pay is too high

There is a lot packed into this sentence: For instance "hard working" and "Advances" and "Pay raises" seldom go together. In my experience pay raises normally go to those who do less work and ride those who are doing the hard work into working even harder and producing even more.

Right now I could earn an extra hundred dollars a week doing that, but it is not worth it. I'd rather look at people and wink and laugh than look at them and frown while telling them to get a move on.

People have the right to improve the material quality of their life in any way they see fit: But don't be surprised if I mourn for the loss of your self rather than praise your accomplishments.

Here we are on the same page. I think it is the one where the kitten sleeps with the puppy.

Seems that a copy of a copy would do that.
But anyway...who cares. Pissing contest....getting to the truth...whatever....one person's trash is another person's junque
Ted Bundy was a genius......not a great person...intelligence doesn't prove anything.....and people have different types of intelligence.
And while I'm here.....forums are open discussion boards that evolve. Topics can change like in a normal conversation. All this talk about topics.
I think a blog is more specific to topics.
Oh...and why is this person's claim being scrutinized?
Boy who cried wolf comes to mind. Those who lie (yes...twist and spin and untold truths fall in the category)tend to do it regualrly. Noone believed the boy who cried wolf all the time.
And it gobbled him up.

because AD is a rather unique forum. more like..... a family-type community where everybody knows everybody... and we have meet each other in person unlike most of other forums which are anonymous and you can be whatever you want.... but not in AD.

It does hurt us when a person isn't what he/she is. so you understand sometimes we must scrutinize one's credibility.

I've always wondered why there are only a handful of institutions that call for higher titles: educational titles (Dr., Prof.), military (Lt. Col., Sgt.), political (Pres., Sen.) church (Msgr., Fr.). Why do only these few areas of specialty warrant this type of recognition? What about people that are self-taught or that are competent in a field that just so happens not to have a system of recognition in place?

These titles illustrate that most people see a limited number of fields as respect-worthy and superior to all other fields. But aren't there so many other interests and intelligences that deserve this type of recognition?

if you're damn good at whatever you're doing, you will gain a type of recognition for it. It may not be shown in tv or appear in magazine but a respected acknowledgment by the community is more than enough for me - hence "word of mouth'

You can only learn what's available; you can only learn from what is available.

After that either you like to learn or you don't. Most people don't unless they are forced to or driven by the lure of greed, "College graduates earn a half million dollars more over their life time than high school dropouts." If it weren't for greed a lot fewer people would bother with the three "R's".

Formal education relies heavily on book learning and tends to eschew "lab" work.

Non book learning is growing scarce and in my opinion will grow more so. One woman I knew became a top mechanic: at 3 years old she was handing daddy a half inch open end wrench when he asked for it. Another became a carpenter: at 7 years old she was carrying shingles up a ladder to her daddy. Try doing that in today's climate of anti children.

I'm self educated, the only way I could get educated seen as I'm a grammar school drop out. No way to prove either one but I think they both show. Libraries are wonderful for people like me. I've devoured several.

I believe most self educated people are book learned as books are much easier to come by than people with experience.

But I'm looking at Youtube, Expert Village, Howitworks.com and similar sites.

I believe cyber education is coming at us. Informal, unstructured, unplanned, and who knows what the people who are putting it all together in their own unique ways will come up with.

there are 2 type of people - gifted student and smart student. naturally - gifted type is the few. to keep up with the people's demands... they have to teach the smart students. it's really really really a great opportunity for smart students to learn it from the gifted people.

...Anyone who studies things they do not enjoy studying, who advances to a job they do not enjoy -- in order to get more money -- Is sacrificing their happiness, their pleasure in life, for money.

I don't begrudge them what they have earned, but I say the price they pay is too high
Some people do enjoy studying and the perks (advancement, pay raise, new challenges) that accompany the acquisition of new knowledge and skills. It is possible to earn money without sacrificing life's pleasures and happiness.

There is a lot packed into this sentence: For instance "hard working" and "Advances" and "Pay raises" seldom go together. In my experience pay raises normally go to those who do less work and ride those who are doing the hard work into working even harder and producing even more.
I'm sorry that you had such negative experiences. That's not the experience for everyone. In my experience, hard work and study paid off in advances and opportunities, especially during my military career. I've also noticed the same thing in my second career as interpreter. In my Hubby's experience, his hard work pays off in repeat business and referrals for more business.

Right now I could earn an extra hundred dollars a week doing that, but it is not worth it. I'd rather look at people and wink and laugh than look at them and frown while telling them to get a move on.
Not all jobs are that way. Some people can move up in management and maintain good attitudes and ethical behavior. I'm sorry that you work in a field that doesn't include that but they aren't all that way.

People have the right to improve the material quality of their life in any way they see fit: But don't be surprised if I mourn for the loss of your self rather than praise your accomplishments.
Other than doing illegal or immoral activities in order to gain material things, people don't have to sacrifice "self" for quality of life.

I guess I have a more optimistic, positive outlook on life. I don't resent people who (legally) earn more than me.

Here we are on the same page. I think it is the one where the kitten sleeps with the puppy.
:P

Back