Decision is Made

For re-clarification purposes: I said there is a perfectly valid clause for people to be against Cochlear Implantation for infants, just as people may be against circumcision.

There is nothing more to be read out of what is being said in that post.

I am not looking forward to seeing arguments from any pro-infant implantation in this thread again and I don't expect anti-infant implantation arguments to surface when they don't appear. Please respect the opinions of the other position on infant implantation and we can all move on.

This goes just so the record is set straight, the majority of people here are not against adult CI implantation.

:hmm: I was asking a question because I was trying to be clear on what you were saying. My apologies if I somehow rubbed you the wrong way.

For the record, I'm not coming from a place of "pro-infant implantation. Nor am I against it. My son wears hearing aids, and receives sufficient benefit from them. If he didn't benefit from his hearing aids, I still wouldn't have him get the CI for many reasons, including his own unique set of circumstances.

I'm neutral on the subject, and I was trying to better understand what you were saying. Thank you for the re-clarification.

Can anyone name a major surgery that can be done on an outpatient basis? (not CI)

Hmm? Knee replacement, but, I really don't know... :dunno:

*Disclaimer: A LOT of procedures that used to require overnight stays, can be done on an outpatient basis now thanks to the laproscope.

Examples:

Hysterectomy
colon resection
gall bladder removal... and more..

Also, with the insurance crunch, nowadays a LOT of surgeries are done on an outpatient basis; even some so called major ones.

You didn't read what bleedingp and i had discussion about that already. It is my own witness that it is a major surgery to me. :aw:

Thank you for backing up what I was saying. Some people will have more trouble recovering from the surgery; while others will not. :wave:

Well, undergoing general anesthesia is a big deal in any surgery and require an anesthesiologist to monitor the patient of any signs of distress. I think the major/minor surgery could be a bit of a toss up. Maybe it's the minor operation vs major operation in terms of risks, complications and recovery time (e.g. hospital stays)?

Thank you for backing up what I was saying. Some people will have more trouble recovering from the surgery; while others will not. :wave:

Right. some of them did have re surgery for correcting it when doctor did not performly in the first place. ouchie.

Not the same. A child can decide to remove their foreskin later with the outcome being the same. A child that failed to develop an auditory brain cannot choose to get an implant later and receive the same benefit.

You can argue that hearing is unnecessary for a child, but you can't argue against science when it comes the reasons why a child should be provided with the best hearing possible as early as possible if they are to develop it.

You are continuing to bring in an argument that's been asked for everyone to drop from the discussion. Why must you continue to prove to people on the forum that infant implantation is a beneficial and/or mandatory process for whatever reasons you may have?

It is not going to convince anyone.

The opponents you are arguing against are already aware of it and I don't think you will accomplish anything or anyone's opinion changed by nitpicking words or semantics that are important to you. The people who agree with you will remain in the same position, but no one on your opposition is going to give in for your arguments nor any points you have to make. I listed out possible reasons I thought up of why people were against it for you to understand why they felt that way; not for debating with.

:hmm: I was asking a question because I was trying to be clear on what you were saying. My apologies if I somehow rubbed you the wrong way.

For the record, I'm not coming from a place of "pro-infant implantation. Nor am I against it. My son wears hearing aids, and receives sufficient benefit from them. If he didn't benefit from his hearing aids, I still wouldn't have him get the CI for many reasons, including his own unique set of circumstances.

I'm neutral on the subject, and I was trying to better understand what you were saying. Thank you for the re-clarification.
The post was initially made for BleedingPurist, who stated to that there appeared to be an agenda to him, that some posters on AD are against Cochlear Implants. I posted for him to understand nobody here is against Cochlear Implants itself at all. I did not to quote him in the event there were other parties seeking to pursue the same argument ventures.

My biggest issues are with infant implantation, especially the ones where the parent(s) goes on to use them as a demonstration of parental success. "Look at him/her use a telephone, or talk to Grandma" etc. They sometimes come off as salespeople for the CI companies. If adults want to do this implantation, it is no sweat off of me.

I fully expect the usual folks to bash this, but that is my opinion. I will not change my views, no matter how many tear-jerking videos are posted.

My biggest issues are with infant implantation, especially the ones where the parent(s) goes on to use them as a demonstration of parental success. "Look at him/her use a telephone, or talk to Grandma" etc. They sometimes come off as salespeople for the CI companies. If adults want to do this, it is no sweat off of me.

I fully expect the usual folks to bash this, but that is my opinion. I will not change my views, no matter how many tear-jerking videos are posted.

Your post is fine by me! :). In fact I said in another thread I think part of the problem is that parental pride comes off the wrong way sometimes. I don't think anyone does that intentionally.... But I can see how it might feel that way.

My son wears hearing aids, and receives sufficient benefit from them. If he didn't benefit from his hearing aids, I still wouldn't have him get the CI for many reasons, including his own unique set of circumstances.

Thank you for clarifying this one.

Your post is fine by me! :). In fact I said in another thread I think part of the problem is that parental pride comes off the wrong way sometimes. I don't think anyone does that intentionally.... But I can see how it might feel that way.

Don't be too naive acting..

I thought it was hysterically funny when Grendel accused Bleeding Purist of trying to drive people away from her CI company because he was greedy for the commision from his company.

Except there were times when the vindictiveness made the intentions quite obvious. I recall one of these CI "spokespeople" telling the mother of a deaf child that she took the easy way out, and was lazy, for not implanting her child. Why do you think these sides are so far apart? It gets uglier over here, than anything in the politics threads.

Except there were times when the vindictiveness made the intentions quite obvious. I recall one of these CI "spokespeople" telling the mother of a deaf child that she took the easy way out, and was lazy, for not implanting her child. Why do you think these sides are so far apart? It gets uglier over here, than anything in the politics threads.

Wait until November. :lol:

Have you had a tonsilectomy or CI surgery? I've not had CI surgery, but, I have had a tonsilectomy. I was 11. I also have had over 30 other surgeries, so I think I can compare it. It's not rocket science, dear.

I've had quite a few surgeries myself. Some were a piece of cake, some were not. Every procedure and recovery was entirely different. Guess what, my dear, you cannot compare yourself to any of those either. Come back when you have had a CI surgery and tell us how that went for you. (Oh wait, I guess you won't be coming back except to troll, since you have no plans to get a CI surgery since you aren't even deaf. *slaps myself on the forehead*)

I've had quite a few surgeries myself. Some were a piece of cake, some were not. Every procedure and recovery was entirely different. Guess what, my dear, you cannot compare yourself to any of those either. Come back when you have had a CI surgery and tell us how that went for you.

TXgolfer can tell us when he gets his. Or any number of the ADers who got their CIs. I know of a friend or two who got CI and it was a piece of cake.
:hmm:

TXgolfer can tell us when he gets his. Or any number of the ADers who got their CIs. I know of a friend or two who got CI and it was a piece of cake.
:hmm:

And that's totally fine. I said that to Bleeding Purist already who had his CI surgery. I even thanked him for sharing his experience, honey. It goes well for some, not so much for others.

Nobody has any business spouting off about what a CI surgery is like if they haven't had one. I won't spout off about a transplant surgery or cancer surgery (or any other kind that I haven't had) if I haven't experienced it. Why do people post nonsense about surgeries they haven't experienced? No two surgeries are the same. How can that NOT be common sense? You guys are looking to pick a fight where one isn't needed to be made.

I most certainly won't even spout off about what CI surgery is like, even though I'm deaf, because I haven't had a CI surgery. I refuse to make a joke or make light of it.

I've had quite a few surgeries myself. Some were a piece of cake, some were not. Every procedure and recovery was entirely different. Guess what, my dear, you cannot compare yourself to any of those either. Come back when you have had a CI surgery and tell us how that went for you. (Oh wait, I guess you won't be coming back except to troll, since you have no plans to get a CI surgery since you aren't even deaf. *slaps myself on the forehead*)

You know what? We agree on one thing... It's subjective to the person who's had the surgery. Let's please leave the nastiness aside and agree on that much. Because, we CAN agree on that! :wave:

Back