Debating

Status
Not open for further replies.

aweet_princess198925

Reaction score
I'm thinking about going bilateral but scared of being completely deaf.

why even do this girl?
live life with no wires attached!!
they tell your deaf to sell you shit!!

be free
be Deaf!

sign will pierce that fear, like a shaft of sunlight through the dark..

I'm not in the Deaf culture I only know 3 other people that are deaf. My family is hearing and only my niece is learning to sign. I want to be in both worlds but since I grew up hearing I find the CIs to be useful. I want to be an ASL interpreter in medicine I start school this spring semester and hopefully I'll be ok enough with my speech therapy to do so.

I understand the controversy on CIs but since I went 20 years hearing it's different. I don't think it's a disability or something that needs to be fixed it's just my person preference to be like I was before but to be in both worlds.

I was born HOH and there no way I would give up my hearing aid to belong to any culture ! I am losing more hearing and hope I don't go deaf. I really don't feel you should need explain why you want to have CIs. It not like you're committing a crime or something !

I was born HOH and there no way I would give up my hearing aid to belong to any culture ! I am losing more hearing and hope I don't go deaf. I really don't feel you should need explain why you want to have CIs. It not like you're committing a crime or something !

Very true. My mind is set on the CI and I'm excited to get it. But if I get 2 then that means I will be completely deaf and that is what worries me.

Very true. My mind is set on the CI and I'm excited to get it. But if I get 2 then that means I will be completely deaf and that is what worries me.
I can understand that , I was thinking of having a CI too and was told I could loss the little hearing I had in my right ear and it the CI might not work for me.
This has to be a really tough decision for you to made.

I'm not in the Deaf culture I only know 3 other people that are deaf. My family is hearing and only my niece is learning to sign. I want to be in both worlds but since I grew up hearing I find the CIs to be useful. I want to be an ASL interpreter in medicine I start school this spring semester and hopefully I'll be ok enough with my speech therapy to do so.

I understand the controversy on CIs but since I went 20 years hearing it's different. I don't think it's a disability or something that needs to be fixed it's just my person preference to be like I was before but to be in both worlds.

you can be in Deaf culture.
if you want.
the products you seek do grave harm to our culture. and our people. its not only about you.
you need to be able to think on the harm the products you choose to use do on others.

the very same professionals who ill drill into you are the same people and professionals of an industry that will also seek to have parents deny their children sign.
that is language denial.

its not only about you

my post was more in addressing your fear then the actual tech in another respect
if your getting drilld holes into over fear then for what its worth anyway i think that motive isnt a healthy one.

you understand used car salesman are not your fiend right?
that those who by definition work is to sell and push you a product do not have your first best interest at heart..

its not different.
i was born hearie too, i refused ci.
others do too.
the fact your born hearie is only used by them to gain another person for their product..

i was addressing the fear.
if your governed by fear, if your getting them to drill into you over fear then i strongly suggest you wait and gain strength to make a proper choice
choosing under fear usually doesn't end up good choices.

its a great way to sell and push and peddle products..
indeed

Deaf don't fear being Deaf..

Last edited:

I got a CI on my left ear and I'm doing well enough that I will not be getting a second one. I lost a little bit of hearing which I expected, but with the CI the difference is night and day! Do not have any fear about losing your hearing whether you go CI or not!

Hoichi has his own view. But from what I know there are many Deaf who have gone for a CI and are still a big part of the Deaf community/culture.

Do what YOU think is best, not what others think on a forum. Their views are good to take into consideration and to learn though.

Still wondering why some people are here if they never want to be a part of any kind of deaf community/culture (Not referring to the OP either).

you can be in Deaf culture.
if you want.
the products you seek do grave harm to our culture. and our people. its not only about you.
you need to be able to think on the harm the products you choose to use do on others.

the very same professionals who ill drill into you are the same people and professionals of an industry that will also seek to have parents deny their children sign.
that is language denial.

its not only about you

my post was more in addressing your fear then the actual tech in another respect
if your getting drilld holes into over fear then for what its worth anyway i think that motive isnt a healthy one.

you understand used car salesman are not your fiend right?
that those who by definition work is to sell and push you a product do not have your first best interest at heart..

its not different.
i was born hearie too, i refused ci.
others do too.
the fact your born hearie is only used by them to gain another person for their product..

i was addressing the fear.
if your governed by fear, if your getting them to drill into you over fear then i strongly suggest you wait and gain strength to make a proper choice
choosing under fear usually doesn't end up good choices.

its a great way to sell and push and peddle products..
indeed

Deaf don't fear being Deaf..

I don't fear the operation I fear being completely deaf. And there are plenty of parents that have deaf children that raise them to be bilingual in English and ASL. I actually met a girl today at the airport that is deaf with a CI and grow up using ASL and was oral. Not all hearies implant their babies and only make them be oral cause if something goes wrong or if the CI batter dies then your back to being deaf. A CI doesn't take away your deafness and I don't see me getting a CI will harm anyone for my own choice of preference to hear.

Hoichi has his own view. But from what I know there are many Deaf who have gone for a CI and are still a big part of the Deaf community/culture.

Do what YOU think is best, not what others think on a forum. Their views are good to take into consideration and to learn though.

Still wondering why some people are here if they never want to be a part of any kind of deaf community/culture (Not referring to the OP either).

I think that it's a good choice for me to get the one in my right ear cause it definitely needed for me. To go bilateral just sounds a little scary but I'll be ahead of the curve is I get them both now and go through therapy before school starts.

can you explain what is OP. I think I familiar that.

I don't fear the operation I fear being completely deaf. And there are plenty of parents that have deaf children that raise them to be bilingual in English and ASL. I actually met a girl today at the airport that is deaf with a CI and grow up using ASL and was oral. Not all hearies implant their babies and only make them be oral cause if something goes wrong or if the CI batter dies then your back to being deaf. A CI doesn't take away your deafness and I don't see me getting a CI will harm anyone for my own choice of preference to hear.

actually that "plenty" is incorrect
this is the fundamental plm.

ist easy to have a first world "i wan my product, if it harms anyone else to them be damned i want my product" attitude
that's easy.

i never stated all. if you want the numbers then lets go take a look at the actual numbers.

the standard practice today, in regards to language acquisition in the ci industry and its professionals is to influence and coerce parents of Deaf children to NOT teach them or have them acquire ASL, or sign, so that in their towards not mine.
"the child does not revert back to being Deaf"

that is language denial.
this in turn robs the child of fluency in the language that is their birthright, the language they can easily acquire, and become fluent at the same rate as hearie children to in aural language.
instead they are denied this
and forced to be oral, even though the actually success of these policies are limited.

Ci differs deafness does not cure it, deafness is differed, by the actual technology, Deafness as in our culture, ie Deaf and the language we use ie sign, is strangled and assaulted, and denied. by the very professional entities who create maintain and push the very tech you desire. even though they in the press lauded themselves as the "cure" and that is their aim, if you actually decided to read the literature as in peer reviewed academic journals of that industry. which clearly you have not, you would see rather loud and clear what their aims actually are.

if you cant see how supporting the Ci industry harms our culture, your going to be in for a rude awakening with us Deaf..
just a heads up

its actually not solely about you.
its bigger then you.

you need to look at the numbers and the polices of those you support by getting CI. that money supports them, in turn supporting the polices of language denial inflicted on Deaf children

Ci spans borders, in some countries the very same companies that will implant you implant Deaf against their will. by gov dictate
they don't have a choice.

most implanted have had no choice.
all pre-lingual implanted have been implanted with NO choice.

yeah i get it i do.
you want your product to hell with the rest of us...
fine
that why i'm informing you of, is that the polices of those you support by getting CI HARM the very community and people you state you want to be a part of...
good luck with that

instead why not live your life free?
why not live your life no wires attached?
why not refuse the drill, i did, you can too. you wont be alone, we are growing.
why not help those who suffer form this assimilation?
You can learn sign, you can spread sign you can BE Deaf..
without supporting the very entities who's aim and goals is to rid the world of people like us

you can play a part in the future survival of our culture and people
or you can work towards the goals those companies who will gladly drill intoyou aspire too

every time someone is implanted that is money to the very entities who's goal is a world of NO Deaf. (their words)
a world of no Sign

and every time they deny our signs to our children or babies or young they get closer to their goal

the money they earn of off you
goes against us

think it through and consider what is right and what is wrong

Last edited:

THink about Foxy Brown the rapper...... She lost hearing long time ago. She was completely deaf. She got the best ear surgeon. She regained hearing. It doesn't change her personality being deaf like culture. She still hearing. So when you wearing DEVICE that only people KNOW YOU ARE DEAF that Don't mean YOU BEING DEAF. That depending how you communicate, hear, and socialize with whoever you comfort with.

I think that it's a good choice for me to get the one in my right ear cause it definitely needed for me. To go bilateral just sounds a little scary but I'll be ahead of the curve is I get them both now and go through therapy before school starts.
Is there any reason why you must go bilateral immediately? Can you get just one for your worst ear now, live with that for a while, and then later get the second CI if you still want that?

Is there any reason why you must go bilateral immediately? Can you get just one for your worst ear now, live with that for a while, and then later get the second CI if you still want that?
That is what I'd suggest. That way she can find out if the 1st one works well enough for her to hear and understand speech.

What is so scary about being deaf and why rush to get fixed if you do not think it is a disability?

What is so scary about being deaf and why rush to get fixed if you do not think it is a disability?
It's not a rush to fix anything. I have had set back after set back when it comes to school from injuries to just being to sick to go to school. I have 2 other surgeries I'm going through all before the year is over so when school starts in not missing anything and having to leave again. That is all I have been waiting to do is go back to school. I know I will have physical therapy and speech but my doctors are aware I will only be available after a certain time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back