Debate over PSE/ASL...

:gpost: jillio

I was pretty surprised that a "former co-student" would even bother to take the time to register to the forum and start defending the program.

Must be the spe...oops... ::holds hands::

Agreed. We don't need a program like this one that doesn't do a good job of teaching students to be a terp. It's possible that they could be setting themselves up for a lawsuit.

Agreed. We don't need a program like this one that doesn't do a good job of teaching students to be a terp. It's possible that they could be setting themselves up for a lawsuit.

Absolutely. Especially since they mention field placement. Placing unqualified persons means the student could come back on them for not teaching what was listed.

I am not crying out for help at all, I just wanted some feedback on what Deaf people thought. I don't think there is anything wrong in that. If it seemed hurtful at all, I am completely sorry, it absolutely did not mean to come out that way.
Paris, I hate to see you feeling awkward and self conscious for posting. I do not think any members here at AD thought you were crying at all. Truly, if the members thought you were playing them they wouldn't have responded to you.
Never be sorry because you came to AD and wanted feedback and clarification!

The problem, anger, blame lies with Sealhart - Not You!!

BTW - Longer post(#74) by Jillio -- Right Spot On!!

Sealhart, I know you know who this is. But, I want to make it clear, that I was in NO way trying to be defmatory towrds the UCC Sign language program.

Paris614: You have a choice of how to pose question(s) and comment(s) on a public forum. Unfortunately the posts could be considered slanderous by some.

Gotta love life...it is one big learning curve. :)

rockdrummer - I think you have brought up a very important fact here. ASL is not the communication/language choice for ALL deaf/hoh people.
This is further supported by many of the posters here on AD and also what I see with the deaf kids that my son knows and goes to school with.

Paris614: You have a choice of how to pose question(s) and comment(s) on a public forum. Unfortunately the posts could be considered slanderous by some.

Gotta love life...it is one big learning curve. :)

In order for them to be slanderous, they have to be able to be proven as untrue.:cool2:

To be effective, I would think a good comprehensive program would enable someone to communicate using any of the signing systems that are being used today.

To be effective, I would think a good comprehensive program would enable someone to communicate using any of the signing systems that are being used today.

True. Therefore, a program that does not teach ASL, but claims to prepare the student to communicate with the wider deaf community, is hardly comprehensive. I think that is the point being made.

True. Therefore, a program that does not teach ASL, but claims to prepare the student to communicate with the wider deaf community, is hardly comprehensive. I think that is the point being made.
Yes I agree that ASL should be included in order for the program to be considered comprehensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I agree that ASL should be included in order for the program to be considered comprehensive.

rockdrummer - I understand what you are saying regarding the inclusions of ASL. I am of the opinion that ASL should be taught by native fluent adults who are deaf. There are many different way for people to access instruction to learn ASL, one only has to Google it. Does that really make it ASL? I was taught by the Deaf community in my area that they do not favour having their language "mucked with". Many different "camps" are rising up, and are attracting students to their programs. Does this make it wrong? For me, that questions is best answered by the Deaf Community.

The Deaf community has answered it...over and over and over again. Seems very few pay attention to the answers.:cool2: Perhaps you have missed them in this very thread.

The Deaf community has answered it...over and over and over again. Seems very few pay attention to the answers.:cool2: Perhaps you have missed them in this very thread.

I guess we better get you a parrot to do talking for you! :laugh2:

usb-parrot.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJvJ-z8XhQ0[/ame]

This may be the wrong thread.
If so please move it Mods.

Perspective

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqJoGssfPlk]YouTube - Communication Abuse and Deaf people[/ame]

ASLGAL,

I can't understand the video you posted. Is there a written transcript available? :ty:

rockdrummer - I understand what you are saying regarding the inclusions of ASL. I am of the opinion that ASL should be taught by native fluent adults who are deaf. There are many different way for people to access instruction to learn ASL, one only has to Google it. Does that really make it ASL? I was taught by the Deaf community in my area that they do not favour having their language "mucked with". Many different "camps" are rising up, and are attracting students to their programs. Does this make it wrong? For me, that questions is best answered by the Deaf Community.

Reply from the Deaf Community:
Hearing people like you are nasty when you tell other hearing people that they are too crappy in ASL and the world need cued speech instead.

Yours, the Deaf Community.

Back