Debate over PSE/ASL...

A homemade transcription. The signer put into a lot of facial expressions, modifying her signs a lot, and some signs are staying in the air and so on, so a bit hard to transcribe this one. She is a famous researcher? Her name is Carol Padden? I think I left out about 30 percent, trying to get with the essential content. I think her message was a bit unclear, and she perhaps needs to make her point a bit more clear. Anyway, here is transcription, if anyone else want to correct it, feel free to do!
----------------------------------------------------------------

Recently I read a study from Norway and Sweden, about the use of internet among teenagers. The researcher said that if those teenagers wasn't allowed to use mail and other modes of electronic communication, that's a kind of child abuse. The reason is that internet skills are important in the future, it's how to communicate in the future.

But deaf people don't use the world "child abuse" much. In a situation, where a deaf person don't get what the lecturer is saying, due to bad interpreter or teacher bad signing, isn't that abuse? Some people says the word "abuse" is a too strong word. But isn't that abuse? Sitting in a classroom, with information going over the head. Another example, if a family don't have money to buy webcams, computers etc, the child will lose opportunies to learn skills needed later.

If europe can use the word "child abuse", why can't we? We have to be careful using the word "abuse" in america. Is it something wrong with the picture?

I can't understand the video you posted. Is there a written transcript available?
Sorry Hear Again, I forget that the devices do not pick up video and translate it for DB like the written posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio
In this case, I don't think it would help much.
That was jillios response in re: to Jiro's talking parrot picture not my post, just fyi.

Thanks for the translation Flip.
I got a little more out of it though.
I was looking at it along with other research detailing how the hearing world and even sometimes those in the D/deaf world block communication for others and how detrimental that can be and how it is a form of abuse to keep someone without the information necessary to make wise and informed decisions.

I see now where I probably should have posted the video along with a few other items I was looking at at the time.

rockdrummer - I understand what you are saying regarding the inclusions of ASL. I am of the opinion that ASL should be taught by native fluent adults who are deaf. There are many different way for people to access instruction to learn ASL, one only has to Google it. Does that really make it ASL? I was taught by the Deaf community in my area that they do not favour having their language "mucked with". Many different "camps" are rising up, and are attracting students to their programs. Does this make it wrong? For me, that questions is best answered by the Deaf Community.

Like others have said, over and over, the Deaf community has answered it without any attention. That leaves me with the feeling that most hearing people prefer an answer from a hearing person rather than the Deaf community.

Like others have said, over and over, the Deaf community has answered it without any attention. That leaves me with the feeling that most hearing people prefer an answer from a hearing person rather than the Deaf community.

Exactly. The question is not how many different camps are springing up, but where exactly are those camps orignating. Within the hearing community from a hearing perspective, or within the deaf community from a deaf perspective? The answer to that question is obvious, unfortunately.

You don't have to be deaf to be a member of the Deaf community. For example, children of deaf parents who are natives of ASL often are natives in ASL as well.

Even though I've only been using tactile sign since 1995, I prefer communicating in ASL as opposed to SEE. Signing in SEE takes too darn long. :giggle:

Even though I've only been using tactile sign since 1995, I prefer communicating in ASL as opposed to SEE. Signing in SEE takes too darn long. :giggle:

Agreed and I used to be an English major! SEE is just too awkward.

Don't Assume

And who did I name? Because I said someone's last name? I highly doubt that ANYONE on here knows who that person is.

I am writing a public post to anyone who uses someone else's real name, first or last, on a public post on the internet. Especially if you are considering becoming an interpreter, please remember that above all else, CONFIDENTIALITY is sacrosant.

I was searching for something else when I happened upon this site and this particular thread. As was stated before, it's a small world in the Deaf Community. Never forget how very small and connected this world is.

I am hearing and would like to understand something about ASL. I have taken ASL classes. Used signing with my daughter, her son, and all the deaf people she has brought into the family. I have questioned my grandson’s teacher (who is deaf) and her interpreter. I just can’t seem to grasp something that maybe someone here could explain differently so I could get it.

I understand the benefits of and the need to preserve American Sign Language. That is not what I am questioning. What I am questioning, is that ASL as a language should continue to evolve just as English has changed over the centuries. Just because a sign may have been created during the SEE push, yet are used by adults in the deaf community, rejecting ASL?

Back