Deafdude's blog

All I know is that I want him to stop writing about other people's CHILDREN! That is so far over the line that it is longer rude, but is now disgusting.

Not to be pedantic or anything, but I'm not sure where in the forum rules says that all postings belongs to AllDeaf and copyright ownership belongs to AllDeaf? By default, wouldn't they still belong to the individuals making the posts?

In fact, an interesting excerpt, from the Forum Rules link on the bottom left hand corner of this page, has (as is from the time this post was posted on December 23rd):

Forum Rules Link: AllDeaf.com - Forum Rules

I'm certainly not a copyright lawyer, or a lawyer of any kind, but it seems from the above that AllDeaf.com does not retain ownership of the message since they do not want to be held responsible for it. I do understand why they would not want to be held responsible since strange people could post illicit things and AllDeaf does not want to be liable for illicit postings by such people.

Maybe I missed a different copy of the rules?

Also, since "copyright" is being discussed here, the "fair use" section of the Copyright law may be of interest to read and understand to help protect your copyrights. You can read up on a general description on the "fair use" (section 107) here:
U.S. Copyright Office - Fair Use

A little more detail is available on Section 107 is available here:
U.S. Copyright Office - Copyright Law: Chapter 1

Understanding the "fair use" aspect of the Copyright law would enable one to better protect their copyright.

When you read this post, scroll ALLLL The way down, you will see what we're talking about.

All I know is that I want him to stop writing about other people's CHILDREN! That is so far over the line that it is longer rude, but is now disgusting.

Did you tell the mods? Hope it all gets resolved. If there are no rules about it then maybe their hands are tied.

When you read this post, scroll ALLLL The way down, you will see what we're talking about.

Thanks PFH, I see now, it's down at the very bottom of the page:

All text, images, and other content are Copyright © 2002-2009 by AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.

I guess I never scrolled all the way down to the bottom of the page when I was looking for that. Thank you for the clarification :ty:

I wonder which would hold precedence though, the forum rules where the users agree to (where AllDeaf shoulders the responsibility to the poster), or the bottom of the page (where AllDeaf claims ownership).

Threads like this just give DD more attention. Don't give him attention that he doesn't deserve by taking him seriously. That blog isn't going to get much traffic and anyone that takes it seriously isn't worth our time.

Did you tell the mods? Hope it all gets resolved. If there are no rules about it then maybe their hands are tied.

Forum Rules states:
By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

So, perhaps it could fall under that.

Threads like this just give DD more attention. Don't give him attention that he doesn't deserve by taking him seriously. That blog isn't going to get much traffic and anyone that takes it seriously isn't worth our time.

I agree but it is a good issue to bring up because I dont remember something like this happening here on AD since I have been a member and I would like to know how something like this works. What is considered wrong or right?

The forum has the copyright and the administrator is the person who can enforce those rights. Since DD quoted blocks of text without any additional creativity, he violated copyright laws. Fair use would be quoting individual statements (a small portion of the text in question) or paraphrasing the copyrighted text into his own words. The most effective way to enforce copyright on a blog is for the owner of the copyright to notify the host of the blog in writing. Hosts do not want to host copyright violations.

Interesting. I clicked on his blog and saw how long everything was and left the site. I'm a lazy person. I'm sure most Internet-users are the same. I don't think we should be too worried about people reading our posts on a different site because no one's going to bother reading his long & boring blurb anyway.

However, I do think it's unfair for him to contradict people's posts in such a way that they are unable to defend themselves.

I think mods and Alex's hands are a bit tied due to the blogsite not being owned by him. Obvs its still wrong and I still think DD should be banned for a while or something or that a seperate subforum on his Stem Cell stuff shud be made that he can post there but i really do think it isn't fair for our info that is posted here on THIS site to be put somewhere else...

Back