Deaf with cochlear implants....

ayala920 said:
A lot of people keep saying, "Having a CI doesn't make you hearing," especially when someone like Cloggy mentions that his daughter can hear with her CI. You are all right: Having a CI does NOT make you hearing. However, saying you can "hear" is also not the same as saying you are "hearing." Cloggy, for example, seems to be well aware of the fact that his daughter is deaf, not hearing, but she can hear. That's doesn't mean her hearing is 100% or "normal," but just that she can discriminate sounds. Cloggy, corrrect me if I'm wrong here.
Correct.
She's born deaf, now she can hear.

I meet deaf boy who is around 15 years old this past weekend. He showed me his scar behind ear cuz he received CI when he was 3 years old. When he gets older and hated CI very much and took it off. Never wear it again. Now he prefer wearing hearing aid than CI for now.

There might be many reasons for children not wanting to wear CI.
The first and foremost - children does not like overwork themselves unless it is a game, a play,
and they will naturally seek the easiest way- not neccessarily the best- easiest, to do anything.

Ask any child if it wants to go to school learn math.

Maybe the CI was not mapped properly and it hurt his ears, maybe the therapy was not done properly, maybe there was not enough encouragment from his immediate family.. there is a lot of maybes..

Fuzzy

Audiofuzzy said:
There might be many reasons for children not wanting to wear CI.
The first and foremost - children does not like overwork themselves unless it is a game, a play,
and they will naturally seek the easiest way- not neccessarily the best- easiest, to do anything.

Ask any child if it wants to go to school learn math.

Maybe the CI was not mapped properly and it hurt his ears, maybe the therapy was not done properly, maybe there was not enough encouragment from his immediate family.. there is a lot of maybes..

Fuzzy

Doesn't matter,

Im asking how old you're first implated ci ?

If you was child got implanted ci.. then differnet story..

If you implanted late of age as adult.. still you don't know how about child to teenager feels about hating ci..

get it?

GalaxyAngel said:
Doesn't matter,

Im asking how old you're first implated ci ?

If you was child got implanted ci.. then differnet story..

If you implanted late of age as adult.. still you don't know how about child to teenager feels about hating ci..

get it?

:gpost:

I think it's pretty common for teenagers to reject the things that they were brought up with and to rebel against parenting styles etc. You will see this in hearing families also.

It doesn't mean that they will always stay or feel that way. Your feelings as a teenager often change particularly in your 20s and 30s. I know that mine did. When I was a teen I thought I knew everything but experiences just keep on changing you. Now when I see photos or videos of myself back at that age I see a different person to the one I am now.

I think the most important thing is to give people choices. If they want to turn off their CI then that is fine and they should be supported in that regard. If they want to reactivate the CI later in life because their circumstances and world view has changed then hey! they have that choice.

IcedTeaRulz said:
I meet deaf boy who is around 15 years old this past weekend. He showed me his scar behind ear cuz he received CI when he was 3 years old. When he gets older and hated CI very much and took it off. Never wear it again. Now he prefer wearing hearing aid than CI for now.

Some teenagers stop wearing hearing aids as well because they don't want to anymore and don't like it. It just happens. I've had friends like this. I also worked with a man whose wish was to run over all the hearing aids in the world with a steamroller! I was like not mine you can't! :)

I think it's pretty common for teenagers to reject the things that they were brought up with and to rebel against parenting styles etc. You will see this in hearing families also.

Yes thats true, People have a huge problem with control and power over d/Deaf children s wishes for not having CI while Parents ignore them. They think they can force or conform them into a Hearing child that is NOT a good deal for those d/Deaf children s mental and emotional abuses by parents who wants them to be a normal and hearing child..

Thats the problem that we are getting very negative audist attitude 's remarks that doenst have any respect for those d/Deaf children s true identity and self esteem to be destroy. I dont blame them for being so rebellious for a very good reason.

I dont agree for people who said " This is Hearing world " which is real bigotry and negative attitude toward d/Deaf children. since we d/Deaf children are the one part of the Diversity world that is the answer.

Thank god we are being different from people and proud of ourselves with our hands to communicate with that works so well between Deaf and Hearing people with a very positive attitude. That's two way street. Hooaarah hearing people are out there in this society that they saw and find a very good reasonable to have ASL. that doesnt cost much or damage our d / Deaf children at all.

Thank you! ;)

Sweetmind

Last edited:

So am I. I chose not to have any devices to depend on every day of my life because there are not having two way street yet. I born with profoundly deaf and wore deaf aid that I can hear the sounds of bird singing when everything is calm down and quiet.. Thats a big difference between quiet and noise pollution. Thats why I didnt believe too many d/Deaf children cannot hear with HA device which is full of it.

Puuurrrffect example of this article about latened deaf lady. http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=27706&page=10

Thank you! ;)
Sweetmind

Last edited:
Cloggy said:
Correct.

She can hear?

My sister who grew up hoh and had a surgery on both ears in her teen years. she said it is not same as hoh and hearing. Big different. When u said she can hear, u need to explain it more clearly. We tend to misunderstood when they said they can hear with CI. I don't buy it when they said CI make people hear everything. Maybe hear alike hoh yea but not hear alike hearing. It goes same with people with HA, they can hear also.

You are so correct that I am not a hearing as well as I born deaf that I accept my deafness completely for the first time after all those years and years. After all, I finally found my true identity that helps me to heal my mental and emotional situation. It takes time to adjust myself after I was suffering for a long long time.. It s hard because it flashed back into my life again that s when people who are very audist attitude and dont have any respect for d/Deaf children.

I am still deaf no matter what because I cannot hear every comprehension words all the time that is very truthful. Any devices doesnt make you into a Hearing person at all.. It doesnt work that way after people refused to accept it or face the Deaf reality as is.

Thats why I felt Devices are wasting my time. I m so disqusted people lies about our deafness all the time for years and years.

Denial is always bugging me by those audist attitude people.

Thanks! Jazzy ;)

We tend to misunderstood when they said they can hear with CI. I don't buy it when they said CI make people hear everything

Why don't you buy or loan a book by Beverly Biderman about her being implanted late in life. She was profoundly deaf since childhood and it safe to say she had no previous hearing experience.
That would give you some insight what it is like to hear with CI - for some
CI-ed pple at least. I am sure every implantee is individual and has his own experience, but there are some commonalities.

When it comes to saying "CI users can hear" it simply means they can hear something. It does not have to be perfect hearing like a hearing person but if you never heard before a sound of -say- a boiling kettle whistling and with CI you now can- what do you call it if not hearing?
maybe you are not hearing it as well as a hearing person do but just the fact that you register this sound means you can hear some.

I am still deaf no matter what because I cannot hear every comprehension words all the time that is very truthful. Any devices doesnt make you into a Hearing person at all..

I am curious - have you ever HAs before? , Sweetmind? and if you did, do you feel a difference in hearing ANY sound with your HAs and without?
Besides I don't think any CI users claim to have a hearing LIKE a hearing person- they just can hear some of the sounds, some users better some users less.

Fuzzy

Sweetmind said:
You are so correct that I am not a hearing as well as I born deaf that I accept my deafness completely for the first time after all those years and years. After all, I finally found my true identity that helps me to heal my mental and emotional situation. It takes time to adjust myself after I was suffering for a long long time.. It s hard because it flashed back into my life again that s when people who are very audist attitude and dont have any respect for d/Deaf children.

I am still deaf no matter what because I cannot hear every comprehension words all the time that is very truthful. Any devices doesnt make you into a Hearing person at all.. It doesnt work that way after people refused to accept it or face the Deaf reality as is.

Thats why I felt Devices are wasting my time. I m so disqusted people lies about our deafness all the time for years and years.

Denial is always bugging me by those audist attitude people.

Thanks! Jazzy ;)

Maybe I do have some audist attiude because I was born hearing then became deaf at two ( which I know I am not but they keep called me this) I do not remember my hearing at all. I don't really miss it. As for my deafness, I have no problem with it. As being 110 percent deaf, no devices will work on me ever. I do not need them or care for it. Thank to my husband who supports my decision and knew me too well. He said CI or HA will not make any difference for me.

U know me from old posts, I am still against oral program. I consider them to be child abuse. As for children with CI, remind me of myself grew up in oral program, will grow up emotional screw up. Oh well, nothing we can do but try to bring truth to them as some former CIers who grew up with CI probably feel same way as u and I were grew up in oral schools try to bring truth to future parents of deaf kids.

I agree many parents does not accept their child being deafness which it does effect child's self esteem. And take them awhile to accept themselves for who they are.

I am glad you found peace within yourself and work to help others do same.

Your welcome,

jazzy

Last edited:
Audiofuzzy said:
Why don't you buy or loan a book by Beverly Biderman about her being implanted late in life. She was profoundly deaf since childhood and it safe to say she had no previous hearing experience.
That would give you some insight what it is like to hear with CI - for some
CI-ed pple at least. I am sure every implantee is individual and has his own experience, but there are some commonalities.

When it comes to saying "CI users can hear" it simply means they can hear something. It does not have to be perfect hearing like a hearing person but if you never heard before a sound of -say- a boiling kettle whistling and with CI you now can- what do you call it if not hearing?
maybe you are not hearing it as well as a hearing person do but just the fact that you register this sound means you can hear some.

I am curious - have you ever HAs before? , Sweetmind? and if you did, do you feel a difference in hearing ANY sound with your HAs and without?
Besides I don't think any CI users claim to have a hearing LIKE a hearing person- they just can hear some of the sounds, some users better some users less.

Fuzzy

Why don't u ask my sister who was hard of hearing for 14 years then become hearing. she knows the difference. This lady never heard a sound in real life so I can not accept her words. CI may help her some alike hoh people hear but not alike hearing. I would remember sound if my memory came back and wear CI then I would said not same, u know I was born hearing.

Just that when they said CI make deaf children hear, it does not mean they hear 100percent alike hearing. I have many CI friends, they are still deaf to me. Of course, they hear this and that but not completely hear them all.

I asked this man who has CI, very cool guy. What does he think if I should get CI years ago? . He said if he has another choice, he would not get CI. He was hearing all of his life then became deaf late age and got CI because at that time he does not know sign language. Now he knows and his wife is an interpter, he would not get CI. So he explained to me CI is not same as hearing.

Audiofuzzy said:
I assume you mean Beverly Biderman.
Did you read her book?

Fuzzy

No, maybe someday when I have time to read her book. As for right now I have enough information about CI. I am not against CI but I do not like them to mislead us to believe CI will turn us into hear 100 percent which it is not true. U know I have many friends who have CI so I am learning alot from them about it. Honestly, I do not see any improvement in their life with their CI except for the one who became deaf late or was hoh for many years then became deaf are more successful with CI. As for deaf children with CI, I have seen one of them did not work out with it. It is gambling to make the decision for parents deaf kids and deaf adults to have it implanted.

jazzy said:
t I do not like them to mislead us to believe CI will turn us into hear 100 percent which it is not true.

That's odd - I researched CI's for years, spoke to people who had been implanted, talked to my surgeon, audiologists and not ONE said that with a CI, hearing was 100%. There are so many different variables to be taken into consideration - whether somebody is latened deaf, how much they are willing to work with the CI (some people have to learn how to listen and reconize speech with them,) etc.

I've never seen anybody here with a CI or a CI-implanted child claim that their hearing was 100% after an implant.

To be honest - the only people who I have seen say that CI's completely restore hearing are those who are against implants, and claim that others say that, and use it as an arguement against CI's. :dunno:

Maybe hear alike hoh yea but not hear alike hearing.
Excellent point.....it's been popular to presume that hoh folks hear like hearing folks......but we DON"T hear like hearing folks!

TrippLA said:
Cochlear hurts our deaf culture. :pissed:

I disagree. Look at the african-americans. Their culture is history but they still remember it like yesterday because their families carries the history. There wouldn't be a black history month if their culture wasn't around anymore.

Stop putting the responsbility on every deaf person to carry eachother because I am not responsible for carrying you or my fellow deaf friends. I care more about my family and I care that my children are as successful as they can be in this world.

We can carry the Deaf culture if we teach our children about it while they grow up as efficiently as possible in this world. I was anti-hearing before but I can't deny that they own this world.

I love my children too much to deny them of equal opportunity.

After reading all of the posts and growing up amongst Deaf people, I question their opinions about CI. Is it jealousy that fuels your anger against CI? If not, give me a valid reason regarding to moral values and ethniciny (sp).

If you want my opinion; I see lots of hypocrisy in deaf people having a problem with oral deaf people while positively associating with (hearing) CODAs. This is a point no Deaf person has ever argued with me.

Back