Deaf with cochlear implants....

DeafSCUBA98 said:
i'm deaf.. i'm into deaf and hearing culture. and am implanted. pm me if u want.
That's great! looks like the ideal CIer situation, I guess!

Sweetmind said:
ahh ahh I was kinda suspicious that neecy used to be a hearing child before she become deaf at age nine. Bingo!!! It makes sense she can hear with CI device not deaf children who became deaf at age one or two years old.

She had already established her language before she became deaf at age 9 that makes sense now.

Sorry pal thats what I m trying to point that out that former hearing child over 9 years old that has no right to speak for deaf babies/ toddlers. they are still cannot able to understand on the phone because they speak too fast as usual..
So, let me get this straight: My fiancee, who was hearing until age 12, has more authority to speak about deaf babies (from what you've told me), despite this quote? And I, a hearing person, have the right to speak out about deaf babies too? This doesn't make sense. Not to be rude or anything, but I do suggest thinking carefully before posting so we don't have these ego conflicts and confusing "logic".

Sweetmind said:
Some latened deaf failed to have CI because it is not making the promise for them to get their hearing back. it snt working for them.
True; that point needs to be addressed to implant candidates and parents first. But you're kinda preaching to people who talk about this stuff a lot, so most of us know that.

Sweetmind said:
Thats a real reasonable for latened deaf people who can take the risk to have CI as is..

Thank you!

Sweetmind
Huh? :confused:

Sweetmind said:
Thats excatly right , thats how I felt and pissed off at Cloggy who thinks he knows everything about deafness for a long time. He thinks hearing is better than deaf .. whooppeee dooo.. very self centered to speak for himself not for his child.

Same thing over and over for years and years and todays .. Nothing change !
One fundamental belief I have about this whole thing is that neither the deaf world nor the hearing world is better. They're different, yes, but neither is better.

gnulinuxman said:
While the definition of "hearing" is "to be able to perceive sound", that definition could loosely include deaf people (for example, dancers) who hear music through their skin.
...So they are feeling it, experiencing sound.
gnulinuxman said:
However, calling your daughter "hearing" gives most people higher expectations than being more "honest" like Chari suggested.
..For my daughter it is true. I have never claimed it is allways like that. Experiences differ from person to person
By the way. Saying "it is not like hearing... is giving people LOWER expectations than honest"..That remark I have seen often.
gnulinuxman said:
The thing here is that the cochlear is nowhere near what a hearing person would hear. (I know a deaf person who was late-deafened and he says it is a lot worse with his implant, so he knows what both are like.)
...Like I said, experiences differ. And this is giving people lower expectations than "honest".
gnulinuxman said:

Therefore, I don't consider cochlear implantees to be "hearing".
You should read AND understand Neecy's posts. And some of the others in this messageboard.

Sourmind said:
Thats excatly right , thats how I felt and pissed off at Cloggy who thinks he knows everything about deafness for a long time. He thinks hearing is better than deaf .. whooppeee dooo.. very self centered to speak for himself not for his child.
Same thing over and over for years and years and todays .. Nothing change !
gnulinuxman said:
One fundamental belief I have about this whole thing is that neither the deaf world nor the hearing world is better. They're different, yes, but neither is better.
I agree with you.
For the record, Sweetmind THINKS I think that. I do not...

But it makes Sweetmind's world easier.

You got it.. I never thought of this anyhow.. Thanks! ;) Now you see why i have said This is a diversity world that all kind of people can respect each other than having to conform d/Deaf children into a hearing because they dont have a good feelings about the deafness. Thats their issue not mine. I have my rights to be me , myself, and the whole of me as being deaf. I have no problem with it after all those years I realized I was betrayed by hearing people who doesnt have any respect for me as a Deaf person with my hands to communicate with or without orally speaking that is my choice.. NOT THEM, I dont have to hear because it s too much noise pollution. It s killing my ears and headaches.. ;)

You should read AND understand Neecy's posts. And some of the others in this messageboard.

You have no right to use NEECY because she was already established language before she became deaf at age nine.. thats very different from nine years old and 12 months or one or two years old. You cannot compare between her and youngest ages... I have seen some ex Ciers younger has behind their language because you dont give them a chance enough to use ASL.

Sweetmind said:
You have no right to use NEECY because she was already established language before she became deaf at age nine.. thats very different from nine years old and 12 months or one or two years old. You cannot compare between her and youngest ages... I have seen some ex Ciers younger has behind their language because you dont give them a chance enough to use ASL.
You're referring to the age she went deaf again when you seam to mean cultural affiliation. If that's what you mean, please say that.

NO thats not what I am saying.. I am saying NEECY was a hearing child until at age nine that she became deaf. She has already established her langauge from the start. She already knew what to hear that CI helps her.

As for a little babies who born hearing (for a very short time) then became deaf in a very early age like 6 or 12 months or one or two years old that has no established language yet. They dont know what to hear with CI at first place.. Thats why many of them are behind language because many parents dont bother to learn ASL from the start after all CI is not helping them to understand everything.. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH EARS since we have to learn how to read and write that is the most important thing in LITERACY first before the sounds.

Many deafies with CI that they do not really hear everything but the sounds only. It doesnt make any sense because it s the same old shyte behaviors with HA device as is. NO DIFFERENCE between CI and HA.. Face the reality.

CI professional told a big lie to those parents. Sighs! Thats why I feel that ASL should be part of d/Deaf children s lives because it s a language for them to gain their more knowledge skills that will help them to understand the concept of language better. Why leave the child isolated and put them on hold because they think CI is the answer but it isnt.

I hope you understand me.. Thanks for your respectful asking me to explain.. I appreciate it so much.

Thank you.;)
Sweetmind

Sweetmind said:
..........I have seen some ex Ciers younger has behind their language because you (highlighted by cloggy) dont give them a chance enough to use ASL.
Funny how you project all your assumptions toward me.
So I just have to correct you..(again).. My daughter knows sign...

u said it you knew a very little sign so what s your point? you twisted everything ever since you came in

gnulinuxman said:
So, let me get this straight: My fiancee, who was hearing until age 12, has more authority to speak about deaf babies (from what you've told me), despite this quote? And I, a hearing person, have the right to speak out about deaf babies too? This doesn't make sense. Not to be rude or anything, but I do suggest thinking carefully before posting so we don't have these ego conflicts and confusing "logic".

I appreciate you taking the time to point this out- because on more than one occasion I've seen Sweetmind be wishy-washy like this, but since I don't know the background of everyone, it was hard to point out without accidently making a mistake. I feel that as long as somebody supports what she says, she feels they have a right to say whatever they want, even if they are hearing, or latened deaf. But heaven help somebody who doesn't agree with her, she'll find anything to disregard their participation in a debate.

she itentionally ignores the fact that Cloggy and his daughter sign, she belittles my input because I was latened deaf, and she ignores any positive commentary on CI's in favor of her own propaganda. She even refuses to acknowledge that I, and other CI'ers and parents of CI'ers acknowledge that we're still deaf, and that yes there are failures, as with any technology.

In a way....( this might be a bad comparison but this is the way I see it) she comes across like a holocaust denier in the face of truth, fact and proof.

neecy said:
I appreciate you taking the time to point this out- because on more than one occasion I've seen Sweetmind be wishy-washy like this, but since I don't know the background of everyone, it was hard to point out without accidently making a mistake. I feel that as long as somebody supports what she says, she feels they have a right to say whatever they want, even if they are hearing, or latened deaf. But heaven help somebody who doesn't agree with her, she'll find anything to disregard their participation in a debate.

she itentionally ignores the fact that Cloggy and his daughter sign, she belittles my input because I was latened deaf, and she ignores any positive commentary on CI's in favor of her own propaganda. She even refuses to acknowledge that I, and other CI'ers and parents of CI'ers acknowledge that we're still deaf, and that yes there are failures, as with any technology.

Yea, I know what you mean. SM keeps thinking I'm late deafened. Nothing could be further from the truth. I had been HOH from birth and started with HA since 3. We are not talking about a "light" hearing loss either. I have been severely deaf since then and was working on profoundly deaf just prior to my CI.

It is bad enough to get into inane discussions over a CI and what it can/can't do for a person. It is really intolerable when dealing with HAs which is supposingly a "safer" subject. *Sigh* I guess nothing is safe...

I do see a pattern its "my way or the highway" here.

Sweetmind said:
I have seen some CI deaf children have been failed with their English written because they are really behind their true language in early age because they forced the children to learn how to speak first before ASL or understand the concept of english written..

Many parents dont realized it hurts many deaf children with their english written later in their child s future.. ** shaking my head**

SEE only or Oral speaking only is not the answer for those kids from the beginning.. Wake up and dont be so selfish.

TOO many deaf oralist do not write very well with english written which is totally sad after all they had been wearing HA or CI or learning how to speak like a big gimmick all those years.. STupid of you people hold them back until it s too late.

Scoffs!
Sweetmind
Well, there's no need for name-calling, but what you're saying is true--English is about 100x harder for deaf people to learn first than it is for hearing people because English is based on SOUND, which is something deaf people don't pick up. And a CI doesn't normalize hearing, contrary to popular belief. It is worse than normal hearing, and if the CI's hearing quality is so bad that it prevents learning English, the kid is screwed if they don't learn to sign.

neecy said:

In a way....( this might be a bad comparison but this is the way I see it) she comes across like a holocaust denier in the face of truth, fact and proof.
Eh, sort of. When I asked her about it on IM, she said my fiancee and I could because we were in Deaf Culture, but I told her she should have made that clear in the post. I do know where she standsm, but I wish she'd make her opinions clearer because the way she's expressing them now makes people think otherwise.

gnulinuxman
English is about 100x harder for deaf people to learn first than it is for hearing people because English is based on SOUND, which is something deaf people don't pick up

English, Spanish, French , actually 65 dialects, can and are learned by deaf people via cueing.

loml said:
gnulinuxman

English, Spanish, French , actually 65 dialects, can and are learned by deaf people via cueing.
Oh, OK. I didn't know that. Can this be used for the first language too or is that what you're referring to?

ButterflyGirl said:
CI'ers are still labeled as DEAF/HOH period.

I am tired of some hearing people and some CI'ers REPEATEDLY rubbing in deaf people's faces about how wonderful it is to hear.
Agreed. That's why I don't do it myself.

A lot of people keep saying, "Having a CI doesn't make you hearing," especially when someone like Cloggy mentions that his daughter can hear with her CI. You are all right: Having a CI does NOT make you hearing. However, saying you can "hear" is also not the same as saying you are "hearing." Cloggy, for example, seems to be well aware of the fact that his daughter is deaf, not hearing, but she can hear. That's doesn't mean her hearing is 100% or "normal," but just that she can discriminate sounds. Cloggy, corrrect me if I'm wrong here.

ayala920 said:
A lot of people keep saying, "Having a CI doesn't make you hearing," especially when someone like Cloggy mentions that his daughter can hear with her CI. You are all right: Having a CI does NOT make you hearing. However, saying you can "hear" is also not the same as saying you are "hearing." Cloggy, for example, seems to be well aware of the fact that his daughter is deaf, not hearing, but she can hear. That's doesn't mean her hearing is 100% or "normal," but just that she can discriminate sounds. Cloggy, corrrect me if I'm wrong here.

That's a great observation. Also - there are so many different "levels" of hearing even for hearing people! For example, my hearing boyfriend has *SEVERE* tinnitus, which makes hearing in loud environments extremely difficult. My mom also has some trouble in busy places like malls or parties.

While I say I can hear with my CI, that's relative- I can't hear 100%. Sometimes I still have to rely on lipreading to understand some people (lisps, accents etc can make it difficult to understand some speech.) Perhaps a better way of expressing this would be that "hearing comprehension" on a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 used to be what I could hear pre-CI, a 7 or 8 is what I can hear optimally now. Again, there are some situations where I still rely on lipreading or occasionally miss what's said. Last night I had to take my Mom to the hospital, and its VERY noisy in the emergency room. I had difficulty understanding what the nurses were saying because so many people talking and the PA system going on all the time.

Back