Deaf with cochlear implants....

No, maybe someday when I have time to read her book. As for right now I have enough information about CI. I am not against CI but I do not like them to mislead us to believe CI will turn us into hear 100 percent which it is not true.

First of all, if you didn't read her book how can you even discuss her experience, her case, let alone judge what and how she heard or not in her life?

This lady never heard a sound in real life so I can not accept her words.
If you didn't read her book then you have no right to comment.

What are you doing right now, you are making assumption about Beverly experience without knowing ANY facts. Now even all the facts- any facts. What is very not good about it is that someone else who also DID NOT read her book but read your post will believe your words and think what you wrote is true. And this is how the myth about Beverly will spread among those who will then discuss it further with yet more pple, and again I am not sure if one person will ever bother to read the book and check the facts.

Do you see how easy it is to spread incorrect information?

As somebody pointed it out already- no one, including professionals who deal with CI, ever claimed it brings back 100% of hearing,
They all say it depends of many factors how much hearing can be achieved, and even at best no one claims it will be like normal hearing person hearing.

Are you still sure you have enough information, and what is more important, correct information?

Fuzzy

neecy said:
That's odd - I researched CI's for years, spoke to people who had been implanted, talked to my surgeon, audiologists and not ONE said that with a CI, hearing was 100%. There are so many different variables to be taken into consideration - whether somebody is latened deaf, how much they are willing to work with the CI (some people have to learn how to listen and reconize speech with them,) etc.

I've never seen anybody here with a CI or a CI-implanted child claim that their hearing was 100% after an implant.

To be honest - the only people who I have seen say that CI's completely restore hearing are those who are against implants, and claim that others say that, and use it as an arguement against CI's. :dunno:
I have seen several via internet or online news but they are speaking for themselves not for others like "this is cure for all deaf" nope.. so everyone has different way of saying something like "miracle" "cure" "restore" "rebuilt" "cure" but they do acknowledge that it is not 100% cure for everyone. you know Michael who wrote book "rebuilt" see the title? he has one ear "rebuilt" with cyborg part eh. you get the gist but those who against thinks differently saying that's "BS" you know?

Fragmenter said:
After reading all of the posts and growing up amongst Deaf people, I question their opinions about CI. Is it jealousy that fuels your anger against CI? If not, give me a valid reason regarding to moral values and ethniciny (sp).

If you want my opinion; I see lots of hypocrisy in deaf people having a problem with oral deaf people while positively associating with (hearing) CODAs. This is a point no Deaf person has ever argued with me.
good post..

Audiofuzzy said:
First of all, if you didn't read her book how can you even discuss her experience, her case, let alone judge what and how she heard or not in her life?

This lady never heard a sound in real life so I can not accept her words.
If you didn't read her book then you have no right to comment.

What are you doing right now, you are making assumption about Beverly experience without knowing ANY facts. Now even all the facts- any facts. What is very not good about it is that someone else who also DID NOT read her book but read your post will believe your words and think what you wrote is true. And this is how the myth about Beverly will spread among those who will then discuss it further with yet more pple, and again I am not sure if one person will ever bother to read the book and check the facts.

Do you see how easy it is to spread incorrect information?

As somebody pointed it out already- no one, including professionals who deal with CI, ever claimed it brings back 100% of hearing,
They all say it depends of many factors how much hearing can be achieved, and even at best no one claims it will be like normal hearing person hearing.

Are you still sure you have enough information, and what is more important, correct information?

Fuzzy

U are the one who mentioned her and u have no right to bring me into hers. I do not care for her. U mentioned her to be born deaf so I have right to say she never a heard a sound alike I did. I was born hearing so I know it. I do not like anyone to pretend to say this I can "hear" alike hearing which I know they are not.
dont tell me that I do not know. It goes same for u about me, u judge me.

jazzy said:
She can hear?

My sister who grew up hoh and had a surgery on both ears in her teen years. she said it is not same as hoh and hearing. Big different. When u said she can hear, u need to explain it more clearly. We tend to misunderstood when they said they can hear with CI. I don't buy it when they said CI make people hear everything. Maybe hear alike hoh yea but not hear alike hearing. It goes same with people with HA, they can hear also.
To prevent any confusion... give me your "definition" when someone can hear.

jazzy said:
No, maybe someday when I have time to read her book. As for right now I have enough information about CI. I am not against CI but I do not like them to mislead us to believe CI will turn us into hear 100 percent which it is not true. U know I have many friends who have CI so I am learning alot from them about it. Honestly, I do not see any improvement in their life with their CI except for the one who became deaf late or was hoh for many years then became deaf are more successful with CI. As for deaf children with CI, I have seen one of them did not work out with it. It is gambling to make the decision for parents deaf kids and deaf adults to have it implanted.
The only time I have heared someone use "make 100% hearing" is when anti-CI persons use it to tell others that pro-CI people lie.
I have never heared that from medical profession, nor from CI-users, nor from parents with children that use CI.
I have only heared it from Anti-CI people.

jazzy said:
Maybe I do have some audist attiude because I was born hearing then became deaf at two ( which I know I am not but they keep called me this) I do not remember my hearing at all. I don't really miss it. As for my deafness, I have no problem with it. As being 110 percent deaf, no devices will work on me ever. .....
So you tried CI... interesting.

Cloggy said:
The only time I have heared someone use "make 100% hearing" is when anti-CI persons use it to tell others that pro-CI people lie.
I have never heared that from medical profession, nor from CI-users, nor from parents with children that use CI.
I have only heared it from Anti-CI people.
Where on Earth have you been? That's what schools and doctors claim here in the USA!!!

Fragmenter said:
After reading all of the posts and growing up amongst Deaf people, I question their opinions about CI. Is it jealousy that fuels your anger against CI? If not, give me a valid reason regarding to moral values and ethniciny (sp).

If you want my opinion; I see lots of hypocrisy in deaf people having a problem with oral deaf people while positively associating with (hearing) CODAs. This is a point no Deaf person has ever argued with me.

My reasons for posting what I do are not out of jealousy. It is out of concern for deaf babies whose parents' doctor flashes advertisements from Cochlear Corp and other CI manufacturers and tells them that this will make their child normal. They have these high expectations (especially since they are usually banned from signing in the USA) and if it fails, the kid is screwed. That's where I'm coming from.

gnulinuxman said:
Where on Earth have you been? That's what schools and doctors claim here in the USA!!!
Norway, Holland, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Spain, Canada, USA, Russia, France, Bangladesh, South Afica, Belgium, Luxembourg.... that's about it. (Not in that order; The Netherlands first)

But your remark "That's what schools and doctors claim here in the USA!!!" is 258. (You see, I learned something.)
Looking for USA-info regarding CI promising 100% hearing.... looking-Google.... looking-Metacrawler... looking-Yahoo...... looking-Dogpile....
No nothing.

U are the one who mentioned her and u have no right to bring me into hers. I do not care for her. U mentioned her to be born deaf so I have right to say she never a heard a sound alike I did. I was born hearing so I know it. I do not like anyone to pretend to say this I can "hear" alike hearing which I know they are not.
dont tell me that I do not know. It goes same for u about me, u judge me.

Please show me Jazzy when did I wrote Beverly was born deaf?
I never did write that.
I used your reply to point out how people make asumption that are NOT based on fact.
I wrote at most that Beverly was profoundly deaf most of her life but this is not the same as being born deaf.
And unless you read her book you have no way of knowing how did she lose her hearing, how much she lost of it, when she was implanted, and how much it helped her, and whether or not it was easy to hear for her or if she struggled.
Yet you make another asupmtion right away:

so I have right to say she never a heard a sound alike I did.

No you don't because you DID NOT read her book, you don't know if she heard or not.

I pointed out to you already don't make opinion if you didn't read a book because you don't know. And look what happens.. you keep making more asumptions w/o reading the book.

Gnulinuxman:

Put on Google "cochlear implant efficacy" and find out what is said about it.

Fuzzy

gnulinuxman said:
My reasons for posting what I do are not out of jealousy. It is out of concern for deaf babies whose parents' doctor flashes advertisements from Cochlear Corp and other CI manufacturers and tells them that this will make their child normal. They have these high expectations (especially since they are usually banned from signing in the USA) and if it fails, the kid is screwed. That's where I'm coming from.

Then I am on your side. Try HA first and if your child can't benefit from them reasonably, then it's up to you to stick with it or seek alternative options to further develop their speech and hearing skills.

I applaud you for being cool about this topic. Last week I would have been bashing CI for weak reasons... amazing how your child's needs can change you overnight.....

Back