Deaf unprofessional interpreter

On the surface, it seems reasonable. However, government agencies, which I assume this immigration meeting belongs to, aren't allowed to bill deaf clients for intereter services. They can emphasize to the deaf client how difficult it is to reschedule terps, and how these delays may adversely affect the client's case.

Ah this suddenly turns into a case of the government likely catering more to a non-citizen rather than catering to it's own citizens. Given that this is a Hispanic lady seeking interpretation for immigration services, I have my suspicions.......

Plus I thought the government supplied only certified interpreters, but the private sector and non-profits it could range from volunteer terps to the highest paid private certified terps...... I could be wrong.

Ah this suddenly turns into a case of the government likely catering more to a non-citizen rather than catering to it's own citizens. Given that this is a Hispanic lady seeking interpretation for immigration services, I have my suspicions.......

Plus I thought the government supplied only certified interpreters, but the private sector and non-profits it could range from volunteer terps to the highest paid private certified terps...... I could be wrong.
I'm only guessing but if this deaf client uses ASL then she's probably lived in the States for a while and could be a legal "green card" resident or student.

Not all government agencies are limited to certified terps. In fact, I recall only one instance where a government agency even mentioned certification to me. The rest never even asked.

I'm only guessing but if this deaf client uses ASL then she's probably lived in the States for a while and could be a legal "green card" resident or student.

Not all government agencies are limited to certified terps. In fact, I recall only one instance where a government agency even mentioned certification to me. The rest never even asked.

I find it incredibly odd that only one government agency asked to see your certification credentials. Just further says that the government while they mean well, do not fully understand the importance of effective communication between the deaf and the hearing. As stated before, I would want a certified interpreter regarding legal, financial, and medical issues. Maybe we should push to have higher standards and demand for certified interpreters in these situations.

In the public education system, you are required to attend school for 2 years to get an ESL certification/endorsement to work as an ESL staff at any school, at least here in Arkansas anyway. The ESL staff more or less interprets for the non-English speaking students and their parents in the classroom and at school assemblies.

It should be no different for professional interpreters who will be interpreting in these situations. So much information is being presented in a short time so it is essential that the interpretation is accurate and understandable. JMHO.

I find it incredibly odd that only one government agency asked to see your certification credentials.
I've worked at local, state, and federal levels, including classified military. Not only do they not ask to see credentials, they don't even ask about certification period. Only for one state educational programs meeting was a certified terp requested. Occasionally individual deaf clients specify certified terp.

The big question from potential clients is always, "how much do you charge?".

FYI (from RID.org):

"CDI (Certified Deaf Interpreter)

Holders of this certification are interpreters who are deaf or hard-of-hearing, and who have completed at least eight hours of training on the NAD-RID Code of Professional Conduct; eight hours of training on the role and function of an interpreter who is deaf or hard-of-hearing; and have passed a comprehensive combination of written and performance tests. Holders of this certificate are recommended for a broad range of assignments where an interpreter who is deaf or hard-of-hearing would be beneficia]."

Maybe I'm slow, but for the life of me, I cannot think of a situation where it would be beneficial. Could you give an example, please?

FYI (from RID.org):

"CDI (Certified Deaf Interpreter)

Holders of this certification are interpreters who are deaf or hard-of-hearing, and who have completed at least eight hours of training on the NAD-RID Code of Professional Conduct; eight hours of training on the role and function of an interpreter who is deaf or hard-of-hearing; and have passed a comprehensive combination of written and performance tests. Holders of this certificate are recommended for a broad range of assignments where an interpreter who is deaf or hard-of-hearing would be beneficial."

Maybe I'm slow, but for the life of me, I cannot think of a situation where it would be beneficial. Could you give an example, please?

As I recall a terp I know worked with one. The client was virtually without language skills. The CDI was born Deaf and was able to establish some communication with the client. The CDI then communicated to the interpreter in ASL who voiced the message to the people who needed the information.

I cannot live without my CDI.

If I was given a choice between an intervenor/SSP or a CDI, I would prefer the CDI.

As I recall a terp I know worked with one. The client was virtually without language skills. The CDI was born Deaf and was able to establish some communication with the client. The CDI then communicated to the interpreter in ASL who voiced the message to the people who needed the information.
Good example.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I can see the benefits of a CDI. I have never seen one at work, so I was wondering. Thanks.

okay.. on the question of an unprofessional interpreter (as in someone not certified).
I have a friend who is currently applying to take the Interpretation program. His signing is pretty good, but I know his ASL grammar needs work (our school only goes up to ASL4). He has been asked to interpret something (a speech maybe? im not sure) for a fundraiser event. I don't believe he is getting paid, he would simply be volunteering his time. I believe he was asked because he interprets at his church sometimes, so his aunt (not Deaf) brought up his name. They are also going to make sure that he gets a script ahead so that he can interpret it before and not on the spot.
He's very excited about the opportunity, but i'm exactly sure what to say. I have never seen him interpret, but i know his ASL grammar is not strong. Would people here mind having someone interpret a fundraiser (about 50 minutes) if the ASL may not be totally correct? I'm thinking of advising him to get in contact with our University ASL teachers for help interpreting it into proper ASL. What do you guys think? Is this okay even though he's not fully fluent or qualified?

Thanks for any input! (and sorry if i hijack this thread, but it seems to fall under the same topic.. if not maybe a mod can change it to it's own thread?thx)

Thanks!
*EQL*

okay.. on the question of an unprofessional interpreter (as in someone not certified).
Just to clarify--an interpreter who is not certified can still be professional, and a certified interpreter can be unprofessional. Certification is not a guarantee of professional behavior, and lack of a certificate doesn't always mean the interpreter is unqualified.

I have a friend who is currently applying to take the Interpretation program.
That means, your friend is a signer, not an interpreter. Even the most fluent signer is not necessarily a skilled interpreter. There is more to interpreting than just fluency.

His signing is pretty good, but I know his ASL grammar needs work (our school only goes up to ASL4). He has been asked to interpret something (a speech maybe? im not sure) for a fundraiser event. I don't believe he is getting paid, he would simply be volunteering his time
The harsh reality is that non-profit organizations can't always be forced to pay interpreters. So, if they provide any interpreter at all, it will have to be a volunteer. Volunteers can be either certified or not.

... They are also going to make sure that he gets a script ahead so that he can interpret it before and not on the spot....
Getting scripts ahead of time is always a good idea, if possible.

... I'm thinking of advising him to get in contact with our University ASL teachers for help interpreting it into proper ASL.
That wouldn't hurt. Are you willing to be a practice audience for him? That could help also.

Thanks Reba. Ya, i could be an audience for him, but since my signing is probably on par with his i'm not sure how much good it'll do! Hopefully he does okay! Thanks for the input.
*EQL*

Thanks Reba. Ya, i could be an audience for him, but since my signing is probably on par with his i'm not sure how much good it'll do! Hopefully he does okay! Thanks for the input.
*EQL*
You're welcome. :)

Sorry for the frustration :( It won't be no more one sentence here.

Here is a story. The agency did not want to hire ASL interpreters because of this deaf client tends not to show up. They cancelled her appointments 4 times. However, one day this deaf client did confirm the appointment date. They were uncomfortable hiring an interpreter, because they would be throwing money away if there is no interpreter needed. So they decided to get a hard of hearing counselor from their worksite, interpreting for this client and her case worker to discuss her immigration case. It is a heavy and legal stuff, how do you feel if it was you and your case. Mind you, this hard of hearing counselor does not know much about the immigration stuff. Yet, she speaks well and signs well.
If it was me I would make the deaf person pay the cost of the terp for not showing up unless there is a legitimate reason such as an emergency or something of the like.

If it was me I would make the deaf person pay the cost of the terp for not showing up unless there is a legitimate reason such as an emergency or something of the like.
I'm afraid the law doesn't allow that in many instances. I've never gone to an assignment where the deaf consumer was charged for missing an appointment. The hearing client still had to pay me but they weren't allowed to charge the deaf consumer.

I'm afraid the law doesn't allow that in many instances. I've never gone to an assignment where the deaf consumer was charged for missing an appointment. The hearing client still had to pay me but they weren't allowed to charge the deaf consumer.
That could be why some places won't schedule terps. That then leads to people that do show up for their appointments without accommodations. A couple of bad apples spoil the whole bunch. I think it would be fair to charge the deaf client if they always miss appointments without an emergency or similar.

That could be why some places won't schedule terps. That then leads to people that do show up for their appointments without accommodations. A couple of bad apples spoil the whole bunch. I think it would be fair to charge the deaf client if they always miss appointments without an emergency or similar.
It might be "fair" but it's not legal--that's the rub. Also, they probably wouldn't be able to collect on the bill, so what's the point?

It is frustrating all 'round.

It might be "fair" but it's not legal--that's the rub. Also, they probably wouldn't be able to collect on the bill, so what's the point?

It is frustrating all 'round.
The point would be to ensure services are available for those that need them. IMHO the law should be changed.

Back