Deaf unprofessional interpreter

Driving Miss Daisy

Reaction score
Deaf unprofessional “interpreter” translating for deaf, how do you feel about this?

What exactly do you mean by "unprofessional"? Do you mean not certified, or do you mean a volunteer? Or do you mean someone who behaves in an unprofessional manner?

Can you give an example of the situation?

What exactly do you mean by "unprofessional"? Do you mean not certified, or do you mean a volunteer? Or do you mean someone who behaves in an unprofessional manner?

Can you give an example of the situation?

Yeah, I'm growing tired of one sentence situations and AHA!!!!!!!!!!!! theres more information to the story...

Give us the FULL story.

Thank you PFH for resounding my same feeling.

Please share the meat of the story than just tossing out the fat first.

Thank you PFH for resounding my same feeling.

Please share the meat of the story than just tossing out the fat first.
That's right, we're ravenous carnivores here! ROAR!

:lol:

a deaf person, who is not certified, and is interpreting spoken language for the deaf?

question, does she have cochlear implant?

Sorry for the frustration :( It won't be no more one sentence here.

Here is a story. The agency did not want to hire ASL interpreters because of this deaf client tends not to show up. They cancelled her appointments 4 times. However, one day this deaf client did confirm the appointment date. They were uncomfortable hiring an interpreter, because they would be throwing money away if there is no interpreter needed. So they decided to get a hard of hearing counselor from their worksite, interpreting for this client and her case worker to discuss her immigration case. It is a heavy and legal stuff, how do you feel if it was you and your case. Mind you, this hard of hearing counselor does not know much about the immigration stuff. Yet, she speaks well and signs well.

Heavy and legal stuff? Not certified or well-versed in legal stuff, and herself HOH? :hmm: Personally wouldn't feel comfortable with it myself--even if she had impeccable speech/signing skills and speech comprehension. I would want someone that knows heavy/legal stuff. In fact, I wouldn't even mind not having a certified interpreter in most cases, but legal and medical situations are the two cases I would want to make absolutely sure I had a certified interpreter.

I understand already that the Deaf client canceled 4 times and they don't want to waste money a 5th time, but she confirmed this time, and they would risk losing a lot more money if some sort of misunderstanding happened.

Just my two cents.

Sorry for the frustration :( It won't be no more one sentence here.

Here is a story. The agency did not want to hire ASL interpreters because of this deaf client tends not to show up. They cancelled her appointments 4 times. However, one day this deaf client did confirm the appointment date. They were uncomfortable hiring an interpreter, because they would be throwing money away if there is no interpreter needed. So they decided to get a hard of hearing counselor from their worksite, interpreting for this client and her case worker to discuss her immigration case. It is a heavy and legal stuff, how do you feel if it was you and your case. Mind you, this hard of hearing counselor does not know much about the immigration stuff. Yet, she speaks well and signs well.

How does interpreters handle cancellations? Do they still make people pay . How do they handle spanish interpreters when a spanish speaking client cancel it 4 or 5 times?

I do know that in my husband's workplace, they have hired people who know how to speak spanish so they could communicate with spanish speaking people on the phone. And they are not really certified.

The only certification I like to see is if my life is at stake.. like hospitals or courts (sometimes even banks because of the legal stuffs that goes with it) .

How does interpreters handle cancellations? Do they still make people pay . How do they handle spanish interpreters when a spanish speaking client cancel it 4 or 5 times?

I do know that in my husband's workplace, they have hired people who know how to speak spanish so they could communicate with spanish speaking people on the phone. And they are not really certified.

The only certification I like to see is if my life is at stake.. like hospitals or courts (sometimes even banks because of the legal stuffs that goes with it) .

In the above scenarios, they were not cancellations; the client just didn't show up but the interpreter (s) did. Most of the time if it is an agency interpreter, they still bill for the 2 hr minimum; some might be more understanding and bill for just one hour.

FYI (from RID.org):

"CDI (Certified Deaf Interpreter)

Holders of this certification are interpreters who are deaf or hard-of-hearing, and who have completed at least eight hours of training on the NAD-RID Code of Professional Conduct; eight hours of training on the role and function of an interpreter who is deaf or hard-of-hearing; and have passed a comprehensive combination of written and performance tests. Holders of this certificate are recommended for a broad range of assignments where an interpreter who is deaf or hard-of-hearing would be beneficial."

In the above scenarios, they were not cancellations; the client just didn't show up but the interpreter (s) did. Most of the time if it is an agency interpreter, they still bill for the 2 hr minimum; some might be more understanding and bill for just one hour.
Correct. Same standards for private practice (freelance) interpreters.

Sometimes mileage is charged also.

If the terp wasnt certified and didnt have much experience intepreting in courts or anything involving serioul legal matters, I would feel uncomfortable. However, I can understand the point of view of the organization paying for the terps...it costs a lot of money and not to put it in good use too often can leave a bitter taste.

I am always very careful about calling a person unprofessional until I have all the information on-hand because I don't have all the scenarios out on the table for me to make a clear & concise call of judgment.

I suspect it is because I appreciate my interpreters; Deaf, HoH and hearing & their roles in the community as well.

In a legal, financial, or medical situation I would want a certified interpreter. Most especially ones who have a lot of experience in interpreting in these specific situations.

However, I can also side with the agency that sends out an interpreter for a client and the client fails to call in a cancellation or schedule change at least 24 hours in advance, and has done this a total of four times.

In this situation, a written notice needs to be sent to the client stating the policy regarding the use of interpreters and that in the future if she must cancel an appointment she must cancel at least 24 hours in advance or she will be billed for the service regardless if she failed to show up. JMHO.

In a legal, financial, or medical situation I would want a certified interpreter. Most especially ones who have a lot of experience in interpreting in these specific situations.

However, I can also side with the agency that sends out an interpreter for a client and the client fails to call in a cancellation or schedule change at least 24 hours in advance, and has done this a total of four times.

In this situation, a written notice needs to be sent to the client stating the policy regarding the use of interpreters and that in the future if she must cancel an appointment she must cancel at least 24 hours in advance or she will be billed for the service regardless if she failed to show up. JMHO.

Dixie, at first blush, your last paragraph sees like a very good idea. Maybe Reba can weigh in and let us know if she's ever seen/heard of that being applied. Why this is a good idea, to me is: PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY

Dixie, at first blush, your last paragraph sees like a very good idea. Maybe Reba can weigh in and let us know if she's ever seen/heard of that being applied. Why this is a good idea, to me is: PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY
On the surface, it seems reasonable. However, government agencies, which I assume this immigration meeting belongs to, aren't allowed to bill deaf clients for intereter services. They can emphasize to the deaf client how difficult it is to reschedule terps, and how these delays may adversely affect the client's case.

Back