Deaf schools/ Mainstream and how long?

Aberrrcrombie03

Reaction score
I hails from Alabama School for the Deaf - 4 years. Class of 2003!

I been in public school in Alabama for 1 1/2 years and gone to University for 2 years.... B'Ham for 2 years in public school with deaf program. For 9 years, in Dallas.... Mainstreamed from 3rd grade to grad HS. OFC! :D

MizzDeaf said:
I been in public school in Alabama for 1 1/2 years and gone to University for 2 years.... B'Ham for 2 years in public school with deaf program. For 9 years, in Dallas.... Mainstreamed from 3rd grade to grad HS. OFC! :D

University? As in the University High School in California? Birmingham's the best place to chill out in Ala!!

I'm from California School for the Deaf, Fremont in 4 years ago. Class of 2003. :D

i would say i spent half of years both side of deaf and mainsteam school .. so go figure but i graudate Jefferson High school in Edgewater,co. class of 89'

I grew up attending a mainstreamed school until high school where I spent the rest of my last four years at Illinois SFT Deaf :) I would say I prefer mainstreamed for the challenges but deaf school for the chances to be involved with many stuffs.

Graduated in '01 tho

mostly mainstreamed, its too hard to explain. But I spent 1 year total at 2 different deaf schools, thats it. The rest at public schools. From kindergarten to 7th grade no interp - was not needed. Anytime after that was in a mainstream program with an interp. Bleh. :) Graduated from Liberty HS, Colorado - 2002.

Last edited by a moderator:
went to mainstream all my life.. 1st grade to 6th grade at Winnetka elementary school in new hope, MN.. that school's closed now *groans*

7th grade to 12th grade at St. Louis Park High.. graduate in 1998 GO Orioles!!!

Aberrrcrombie03 said:
University? As in the University High School in California? Birmingham's the best place to chill out in Ala!!

Never been in California.... I went to University in Alabama near B'ham. Sorry that confuse you.

K to 3rd grades was mainstreamed then 4 to 9th grades at MarylandSD til i ended up getting expelled then finished out HS at MSSD

I grew up going to a deaf school. After graduating 8th grade, I went to mainstreamed high school.
Class of 2000!

I went to a local public school with a deaf program in Vineland, New Jersey. I was in deaf classes until 5th grade, when I started being mainstreamed. Since Grade 6, I was mainstreamed in all of the classes throughout to college. I graduated from VHS in 1993 and also from NJIT (college) in 2000.

school for the deaf in New York, then "Un-mainstreamed" hearing high school which i was the first and only one deaf enrolled and then it
became fully mainstreamed school later... Then I got expelled from
NTID from "party too much"...

Mainstreamed until the age of 10. Went to the Ernest C. Drury school for the deaf in Milton until I dropped out at the age of 18.

Deaf Institution for 12 years.
Transferred to public High School until aged 19 (4 years).
Transferred to public Community College until aged 23 (2 years).

Went to hearing schools when I grew up until the middle of my 8th grade year. That was when I moved to Florida School for the Deaf and graduated there. Class of 2000, Go Dragons!

P.S. I also met Aberrrcrombie03 when she was a young student at FSD. Hope I didn't spoil your secret! :naughty:

Totally and completely mainstreamed....not even a deaf program. Closest I ever got to a deaf program was when I was in early invervention preschool, (one of those self-contained classroom dealies) from 3 to about 5. I was literally the only deaf/hoh kid in my entire school district. Actually I was only about one of less then a handful of kids with classic disabilties (as opposed to learning disabilties) in my school distrct and I did not get served too well! Their special ed program was CRAP!..I can clearly remember thinking that I was the only deafie in the entire world. I wish I'd gotten to go to a school for the deaf for at least part of my educational career. That would have been so much fun!

Back