Deaf schools/ Mainstream and how long?

I was mainstreamed my whole life with deaf education when needed. Mostly needed help in English/vocabulary. I didn't have a terp until 9th grade, and thats when my grades improved dramatically. I stayed at the same hearing school from 2nd grade until graduated class of 2000.
My husband went to Alabama School for the deaf for K-3rd grade. Then we both transferred to the same school at the same year (he was in 4th grade and I was in 2nd) and met at the deaf ed class. He graduated in '98.
When we got there, it was 12 deafies between K-12 but now we have all graduated and there are still 3 of the original 12 left to graduate. We are all still good friends, except for 3 of the ones who are much older than us.

Hawaii Center for the Deaf and the Blind- 1992 to 1998
Cibola High School- 1998 (hearing mainstream)
Kapiolani Community College- 1999 to 2002
Hawaii Community College- fall 2005

mainstreamed through all school, went to same high school in dallas with MizzDeaf

:)

Attend to Lexington School for the Deaf.. Class of 2008 RoCkz!!

Interesting thread! I entered deaf kindergarten and finish deaf high school. I haven't gone any other school than where I started. Then post high school, Gally party too much and left. NTID was very good until major event comes up. Oh well. Im kinda of glad that I left cause today computer field jobs isn't as good as it was before.

I am currently attending public high school with no deaf edu. When I was in middle school, I had to take deaf education services and they were not educating me enough since they only focused on special reading and used ASL ONLY. I am glad that I chose to get equal education that would prepare me for college.

I grew up all my life in alabama school for the deaf grad 85 live in dormitory all my life :)

I went to a preschool for handicapped children from age 2 to 4 years old...then I went to hearing schools and mainstreamed there from K to 8th grade. From 9th grade to 12th grade, my H.S. had a deaf/HOH program so I attended there plus hearing classes, and graduated there. :)
My preschool teacher told my parents to send me to FL School for the Deaf for Kindergarten, but my parents didn't because of a couple of reasons, so they let me go to a local hearing school instead.

I've been mainstreamed whole life until university (at which I am a 2nd year now, woo!).

Been mainstreamed since 2nd grade. I mantain a B+ grade average, play varsity football, bowl, and spys on girls, that's it really.

I was at deaf classes at hearing schools from preschool to elementary school. I went to some hearing classes starting in third grade. I was mainstreamed in middle and high school. Now I am at RIT.

Aberrrcrombie03 said:
University? As in the University High School in California? Birmingham's the best place to chill out in Ala!!

Honestly, EPIC Elementary School is went declining after mid 90's (around 1996) and many white kids are leaving for good due Birmingham City School changed dress code into uniform policy. That's nothing to surprised me that much differnet in 2001 from 1991. I attended EPIC Elementary School from 1991-1993 and it was very great before, around over 45 deaf students. We used lived in apartment that few min away from Century Plaza then leaving Birmingham due my dad got house in LA then my mom got job then finally moved to LA in summer 1993.

When back to 2004, we visited Birmingham again in spring and much changed that where neighborhood went ghetto and lost alot of business. That only I know about Downtown Birmingham and many suburb of Birmingham are booming. I visited EPIC Elementary School, that's very surprised that deaf students are declined from 45 in 1991 and down to 16 in 2004, many special classes are shut down as many special ed teachers are retired at same time. Deaf students are starting mainstream classes but their grade aren't good. Century Plaza (If u know this mall) is declining so much and many prime stores are closed, crime is went higher.

Finally, Thanks to god that I was leaving Birmingham in 1993 for good reasons like my mom's job. Education at EPIC Elementary School does sucked and kids are just stuck up with english sign language and not good social with white kids, EPIC is known as almost all black students. Just like Carver HS (this school had one special education with one teacher that's good with ASL) and training some deaf students in mainstream classes, nothing to be special. Most deaf white kids are going to school in suburb with fully mainstream classes but there's good special education at Hoover HS and Hewitt HS. Only one of my family (cousin) is from Trussville and he lived for many years as well.

I'm currently 12th student at Van Nuys HS (only 4 out of 6 classes are mainstream but I'm leaving early in 6th peroid) and will be graduate in 2006. There's reason that I'm leaving early since 6th peroid started cuz I got almost all credit that I had meet their requirement. Class of 2006

I used to attened at CSDR and it does sucked but... I just stuck at CSDR for 10th and 11th grade then quit when I was 12th grade, then moved back to public high school.

Mainstream all my life with some deaf ed classes in elementary school (for english). Graduated from high school in 2003. Now a jr at Oklahoma University. Plan on going to grad school when I graduate Spring 2007.

Back