Deaf School or Oral School?

Everyone should feel free to post their views, not just a certain group. That goes for all threads and topics. Hence, ALLdeaf. IMHO.

CrazyPaul- I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I think that happened a lot many years ago, and ended up damaging the individuals and prevented them from any real education as a result. I would also suspect some probably took on traits of other patients with real cognitive challenges simply because they were exposed to it day in and day out. I'm glad that things worked out well for you, all things considered.

Have you met your brother, and been able to develop any kind of relationship with him?

csign ~ ending the damaging the indivduals with whatever the results did not happen. It still happens to the day. just saying.

csign ~ ending the damaging the indivduals with whatever the results did not happen. It still happens to the day. just saying.

I don't understand what you mean... I am referring specifically to individuals who were only deaf being sent to mental hospitals. That practice doesn't really happen anymore, as deafness has finally become understood for what it is. It is not a mental "disability". If people are only deaf and still being sent to mental institutions then someone needs to blow the whistle on whatever agency is doing the referrals.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

It can happen. And late deafness is sometimes misdiagnosed as alzheimers, dementia or a psych illness.

BTW, connecting with long lost relatives can be perilous. I recommend doing it only with the assistance of a therapist.

I was saying that I don't understand. I'm asking you to elaborate more so I can understand what you're talking about... Did you mean that young deaf children are still being sent to mental institutions?

Not trying to be contentious, I'm trying to understand...

I was saying that I don't understand. I'm asking you to elaborate more so I can understand what you're talking about... Did you mean that young deaf children are still being sent to mental institutions?

Not trying to be contentious, I'm trying to understand...

You answered already then it's your opinion. :)

Just to be clear, teachers who are certified to work with deaf kids have a completely different certification. The certification program is not part of the special education program. In my state, there is only one college that offers the deaf certification (at a teaching college). Ordinary special education teachers do not have this credential. Once again, deaf people do not have intellectual disabilities. Only a small minority suffer from syndromes which include deafness and intellectual disability. Let's stick to the facts.

Yes, teachers of the deaf are totally different than special ed. teacher. So, OP, if you decide to go with a mainstream setting you could ask for services from a teacher of the deaf, but her main teacher would be a regular ed teacher who consults with the teacher of the deaf. If you went with a Deaf school placement, her main teacher would be a Teacher of the Deaf who uses ASL for classroom instruction. Another option, if you choose to pursue spoken language would be a deaf school that uses spoken language. You said you were in California, correct? The John Tracy Clinic is world renowned and has teachers of the deaf in their classrooms. There is also Oralingua, which is a private spoken language school.

Yes, teachers of the deaf are totally different than special ed. teacher. So, OP, if you decide to go with a mainstream setting you could ask for services from a teacher of the deaf, but her main teacher would be a regular ed teacher who consults with the teacher of the deaf. If you went with a Deaf school placement, her main teacher would be a Teacher of the Deaf who uses ASL for classroom instruction. Another option, if you choose to pursue spoken language would be a deaf school that uses spoken language. You said you were in California, correct? The John Tracy Clinic is world renowned and has teachers of the deaf in their classrooms. There is also Oralingua, which is a private spoken language school.

Not all that world renowned....

Sorry..JTC...*gag*

VERY audist program.

Sorry..JTC...*gag*

VERY audist program.

Interesting. Have you worked with the program before? I see that you are a teacher of the deaf, have you had a bad experience with them?

Sorry, OP if this is too far off topic!

Interesting. Have you worked with the program before? I see that you are a teacher of the deaf, have you had a bad experience with them?

Sorry, OP if this is too far off topic!

Just dont like the audist views behind the oral-only programs. That having hearing is better than being deaf..that being around hearing kids is giving deaf children better opportunities and so on. I grew up with that kind of crap and it didnt do crap for me.

Given that the OP's child is only 9 months, she has some time before she needs to think about a mainstream setting. My perception is that the OP is looking for a program that utilizes sign language, and she's weighing put the pros and cons from the input she has received (as well as other information I presume) to help her and her husband come to an agreement on course of action.

The OP is not too far from two great programs where her child would have complete access to language and her surroundings.

Programs that utilize the Oral only philosophy do not provide for complete access to language.

The only time I've ever heard of the JTC was in reference to individuals who were interested solely in the oral route. Fortunately fir this child, it doesn't seem her mother is heavily interested in it. Clearly she is looking for information on both sides of the coin though, to help her make a choice that will provide her child with maximum benefit.

Given that the OP's child is only 9 months, she has some time before she needs to think about a mainstream setting. My perception is that the OP is looking for a program that utilizes sign language, and she's weighing put the pros and cons from the input she has received (as well as other information I presume) to help her and her husband come to an agreement on course of action.

The OP is not too far from two great programs where her child would have complete access to language and her surroundings.

Programs that utilize the Oral only philosophy do not provide for complete access to language.

The only time I've ever heard of the JTC was in reference to individuals who were interested solely in the oral route. Fortunately fir this child, it doesn't seem her mother is heavily interested in it. Clearly she is looking for information on both sides of the coin though, to help her make a choice that will provide her child with maximum benefit.

Yes indeedy....and it's very possible that things will change education wise by the time she gets old enough for school. Which may mean that Deaf Ed will be a lot more hoh friendly..It is pretty much hoh friendly in general....after all, most kids, including kids who attend deaf schools (except for a certain unnamed school in a state that starts with U) get a heavy dose of speech therapy and Clarke style oral intervention.
I wonder thou CSign, could JTC and auditory verbal therapy (the THERAPY...NOT the whole hog lifestyle mentality) be used as a SUPPLEMENT? The reason I say this is that one complaint is that schools/programs that use Sign may not have great speech therapy services. A lot of times they do have decent speech therapy services.....but even say a garden variety speech therapist may not have a lot of training on how to work with dhh kids.....maybe good quality speech therapy could be acheived by using JTC and AVT as a supplement?

@deafdyke yes I was on about.com are you the one who refered me to this site? Thanks if you did I am getting alot of info from here.
@Miss-delectible. Thanks I have to agree with her being a cutie..but then again I think both my girls are but I am mom

I am going to make an appointment to take a tour of fremonts school for the deaf. I found out yesterday from her teacher that the preschool she would have gone to in her program has been moved and mixed with a all hearing preschool. So at 3 they will already be mainstreaming her. Don't know that I like that. She also informed me that the school district we are in will provide an FM System to her teachers through 5th grade but in Jr. High and High school she is pretty much on her own.

A word of caution: On the FM, she will hear only the teacher not the students so she will miss out some.

More on this: http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids-cochlear-implants/90078-fm-systems-yay-nay.html

Edit to add the following line or two: Currently Fremont has a Deaf superintendent, Deaf administrators, Deaf teachers - the key elements. The reason I say they're key elements is because the Deaf population are taught visually and they learn quite differently than their hearing peers. Who's the best to address these needs? I would say the people who had the same experiences growing up.

And the deaf kids are getting great role models and they will know they can do anything. I didn't have that when growing up in a deaf oral school.

The whole point of oral programs that I attended is to make sure the deaf kids succeed in mainstream with out sign as a "crutch". By the time I was in the 3rd grade, the oralists were so pleased with my progress that they had me mainstreamed at Maybeury Elementary (my fifth school) near my home.

I find the crutch part puzzling when I first heard of it. Crutches can be broken or lost so are the hearing aids (and now CIs). If a Deaf person lost hands, I still can understand him/her. I have seen a Deaf man with metal protheses for his hands and could understand him. That is why I really think of hearing aids/CIs are really the crutches.

Back