Deaf Research Paper Topic

He's the one who started "Do we have a challenge ahead of us to avoid becoming hearing?" thread. He says Deaf people talk about sex too much and especially too publicly but that could just be the ones he's hanging out with somewhere in New Zealand. Not sure.

He's the one who started "Do we have a challenge ahead of us to avoid becoming hearing?" thread. He says Deaf people talk about sex too much and especially too publicly but that could just be the ones he's hanging out with somewhere in New Zealand. Not sure.

Oh!! The one that says burn fat off one's soul? Allrighty! Haha.

I see what he means about deaf people talking too much about sex. Hence the research topic -- I mean, the interview questions would be interesting for a change! I just want to stab myself in the eyes with a fork when someone asks to interview me about the mundane things except to get a good grade off me. I do apologize if this makes me sound evil, but it is what it is. I applaud this chick for asking a very interesting question about what would be cool to write about. Keeps the mind open to some cool avenues of the community!

Lessee, another interesting topic to write about would be the Deaf comedy thing. ASL films? Big around these parts. And how about more Deaf actors like Sean Berdy/Sho Stern/etc are getting into sitcoms and movies now? Should hearing people portray Deaf people? :hmm:

Another research topic:: Would "deaf skinheads/goths" be welcomed in the "deaf community"?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Is it just me or is anyone else on here tired of people wanting to write papers on us?
yes, I understand it's for a class but...I'm not a lab rat! :)

are you hearing-the one writing the paper?

I dont have much of a choice. I am in an ASL class and required to write this. I was told "Write a 3 page research paper about some topic in Deaf culture." Well good grief, give me a broad topic area why dont you!
I have been inter-mingled in the Deaf World for two years now. I have more Deaf friends than hearing friends. I feel more comfortable with Deaf people than hearing people.
I am hearing with an auditory processing disorder. I've been signing for two years and am in school to become an interpreter. All of my signing was learned socially through immersion so I am lacking much of the grammar and syntax, which is why I am starting ASL classes from the lowest available, even though it is commonly tedious.

Thank you everyone for your input. I havent made up my mind yet but i've definatley got some good ideas to play around with :)

I am in real life-all along. I don't identify a computer screen as real life.
I have mentioned before that I don't know ANY persons self described as "goths/skinheads". Yeah possible someone was travelling the TTC subway "labeled goths/skinheads".

inmate23: Hard to be in"goth/skinhead life" if I don't know any? The answer NO! Why: would the local deaf community be the last place to look for deaf skinheads- Wouldn't they "share deaf values"?

Perhaps-that the Ontario Association of the Deaf/Bob Rumball Centre for the Deaf would "know" any Deaf skinheads- if any here in Toronto especially if self described as deaf.

The "skinheads"( not mentioned if deaf re V F) I interacted with- on Vampire Freaks.Com -were in London England. As I recall the discussion-should parents teach their 5 year children their religious values?

Whether somebody disagrees with my actual experience of deafness- not my problem in whatever verbal label assigned . Doesn't change my condition.

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

What in the world would make you think that skinheads would share the values of the Deaf?

Another research topic:: Would "deaf skinheads/goths" be welcomed in the "deaf community"?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Skinheads are generally not accepted by any community other than their own.

You are using skinheads/goths as if they are the same thing with the same ideology. Nothing is further from the truth.

Are you really that ill informed regarding all social issues? I just thought it was Deaf issues you were so ignorant of.

Oh!! The one that says burn fat off one's soul? Allrighty! Haha.

I see what he means about deaf people talking too much about sex. Hence the research topic -- I mean, the interview questions would be interesting for a change! I just want to stab myself in the eyes with a fork when someone asks to interview me about the mundane things except to get a good grade off me. I do apologize if this makes me sound evil, but it is what it is. I applaud this chick for asking a very interesting question about what would be cool to write about. Keeps the mind open to some cool avenues of the community!

Lessee, another interesting topic to write about would be the Deaf comedy thing. ASL films? Big around these parts. And how about more Deaf actors like Sean Berdy/Sho Stern/etc are getting into sitcoms and movies now? Should hearing people portray Deaf people? :hmm:

That actually produces an interesting debate.

My observation re "goth and/or skinheads" are from VampireFreaks.Com as a member of almost 5 years.It has almost 2 million members. There was no mentioned of "deaf skinheads" or "deaf goths"-there.

Inmate 23 seems to be familiar with them- thus the question: would the "deaf community" welcome deaf skinheads OR deaf Goths presumably having shared "deaf values"?

As for what is/isn't similar between them-no personal knowledge. Not exactly a pressing need to study the "group".

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Some questions I would suggest you research on...

1. What is the interest in cars with turbocharged engine in Deaf Community as compared to hearing world or deaf people in general?

2. Are deaf/Deaf people more interested in teaching cats, ferrets, or dogs ASL as compared to hearing people?

3. For how long should a deaf/Deaf person be willing to use paper/pen or lap top with their hearing dates before focusing exclusively on signing only??

Back