Deaf people treated unfair like disabled people

That's why I am wary of deaf children today being mainstreamed....

Me too. I've experienced both and although the special school I went to DID leave a lot to be desired accademically the bullying didn't ever get as bad as it did in the first high school I went to. I also went to Royal National College for the Blind (RNCB) and they have excellent accademic standards. I passed most of my exams there.

I only became blind at the age of 17 so can't say exactly how a deafblind child should learn but I think they would do best with a one to one teaching style (or at least a small group) using deafblind manual, Hands on sign language or BSL. They should learn braille literacy, IT (information tecnology, hands on signing or BSL (depending on how much residual sight they had), long cane tecnique and other blind skills and as much tactile information as possible. I think teachers typically try to focus too much on any residual sight/hearing the child may have.

I too had something written like that in my report card in 2nd grade - "Has daydreaming problems." I did not understand when my mom got on to me about it at the time and I think that is what prompted her to get the FM system to try out but since the other kids were complaining of the 'special attention' I was receiving the FM system had to go. Thats when everything went downhill and I struggled from there on out.

Back