Deaf people treated unfair like disabled people

Back when I was a kid in elementary school, I always had one particular classmate who always made fun of me in class because he knew of my HoH loss, although it wasn't bad at all back then.

I think and recall faintly that the teacher would announce to every single class that I was Deaf/HoH and then I would remember the faces of all my classmates looking at me like I was some stranger.

Throughout my years I remember not wearing my then enormous BTE aid back then, because I felt embarrassed and mistreated when the other students would look and talk to me as if I had some kind of major disability and could was pretty much the odd-man out of the group.

One kid in particular from my 3rd or 4th grade class, I would have to live with from then until junior year of high school with his harassing and taunts on me pretty much on a constant basis. He would gather groups of other kids to spread the jokes too and they'd all end up ganging up on me.

I don't recall much of what happened through the years, but I do know that the way I was treated while I was growing up made me feel a very great distaste towards being HoH and wanting to be normal. In the beginning I remember I would just tell on the teacher, but as time progressed and I realized the teachers can't/would not bother/did not even care to do anything about my relations with other students, all I would do is get mad and once fought back in retaliation for justice. I ended up getting a slip and referral as a result of that, in sixth grade, though.

It wasn't until high school that my best friends stepped into my defense, and one day while this particular kid would be trying to make fun of me at the usual table I hung out at during breaks, they stepped in and told him out with all seriousness, and I think from that day the kid pretty much stopped, and college everyone went off their own ways.

Throughout college it was more relaxed and that's where I noticed other students seemed like they actually didn't have a problem with other HoH/deaf students, and although I observed it would kind of seem odd the first few weeks of a quarter, eventually everyone got used to it and there was literally no harassment face-to-face that I knew of.

I, myself, pretty much grew hair just long enough to cover my ears from instantly being spotted as a HA user, which kind of gave me a way of feeling "normal" among everyone else, I would not get the "bewildered" eyes of others , curious people, etc, I was just a normal person and perfectly content at that.

I realize that as you got older, (or for me, in my case) that it was more likely that people would understand if they realized that you were HoH. I'm sure this case doesn't apply for everyone everywhere, but I get a feeling that mature, adults are more accepting to persons with hearing loss rather than children from first grade to some point in college.

Anyway, just wanted to share my 2 cents.

Naisho...

I somewhat agree with you there, and reading about what you went through, I commend your courage!!

You know when it comes to childhood, I had a problem with my family, because they use to taunt my parents for having given birth to a deaf girl!! Well, I had it big time from my family! But guess what, today, I do a helluva lot better than most of my hearing counterparts, so what do they do: SHUT UP!!

But on the lighter side, I think when people see us as college graduates, they are full of admiration, and wow, this person came so far!!

I wish you well!

Kashveera

right on

In way i glad that HOH and Deafness defined by law as disability, protects us, but, it not disablilty, just different way we communicate, no one should be put down for that. people who put us down are ignorant and stupid, need a good kick in pants, lol

In way i glad that HOH and Deafness defined by law as disability, protects us, but, it not disablilty, just different way we communicate, no one should be put down for that. people who put us down are ignorant and stupid, need a good kick in pants, lol

No one should be put down for disability, either (and many people with disabilities feel that it is an important part of who they are - in a positive way).

I am glad that we have some sort of protection! In my home country, we have an affirmative action that grants employment to people of disabilities, yet amazingly, nearlly three-quarters of South Africa's deaf are unemployed!!

Well, Agreed that no one should be put down for the disability, if people do it, then they are the ones that are disabled!! In my opinion!!

Kashveera

Back when I was a kid in elementary school, I always had one particular classmate who always made fun of me in class because he knew of my HoH loss, although it wasn't bad at all back then.

I think and recall faintly that the teacher would announce to every single class that I was Deaf/HoH and then I would remember the faces of all my classmates looking at me like I was some stranger.

Throughout my years I remember not wearing my then enormous BTE aid back then, because I felt embarrassed and mistreated when the other students would look and talk to me as if I had some kind of major disability and could was pretty much the odd-man out of the group.

One kid in particular from my 3rd or 4th grade class, I would have to live with from then until junior year of high school with his harassing and taunts on me pretty much on a constant basis. He would gather groups of other kids to spread the jokes too and they'd all end up ganging up on me.

I don't recall much of what happened through the years, but I do know that the way I was treated while I was growing up made me feel a very great distaste towards being HoH and wanting to be normal. In the beginning I remember I would just tell on the teacher, but as time progressed and I realized the teachers can't/would not bother/did not even care to do anything about my relations with other students, all I would do is get mad and once fought back in retaliation for justice. I ended up getting a slip and referral as a result of that, in sixth grade, though.

It wasn't until high school that my best friends stepped into my defense, and one day while this particular kid would be trying to make fun of me at the usual table I hung out at during breaks, they stepped in and told him out with all seriousness, and I think from that day the kid pretty much stopped, and college everyone went off their own ways.

Throughout college it was more relaxed and that's where I noticed other students seemed like they actually didn't have a problem with other HoH/deaf students, and although I observed it would kind of seem odd the first few weeks of a quarter, eventually everyone got used to it and there was literally no harassment face-to-face that I knew of.

I, myself, pretty much grew hair just long enough to cover my ears from instantly being spotted as a HA user, which kind of gave me a way of feeling "normal" among everyone else, I would not get the "bewildered" eyes of others , curious people, etc, I was just a normal person and perfectly content at that.

I realize that as you got older, (or for me, in my case) that it was more likely that people would understand if they realized that you were HoH. I'm sure this case doesn't apply for everyone everywhere, but I get a feeling that mature, adults are more accepting to persons with hearing loss rather than children from first grade to some point in college.

This pretty much sums up my school experiences. Oh boy.

Amen! That is so true!

Not just deaf people that get treated unfairly. It's all different types of people. Even hearing people. I'm not gonna say "normal people"?? I mean come on..What's normal anyways?? The world these days has so much BS going on in it. Everyone trying to be better then everyone. Its all about "I'm better then you" thing. Things like that goes on in schools. Yes its in the workforce also. Some people just can't grow up. Sometimes you gotta just keep your head up forget what people say &/or do & just prove them wrong. Although you don't really have to prove anything to anyone..Just prove it to yourself that....
YOU CAN DO IT!!;)

Amen to all posts... even tho I hardly had problems.. but my sister and my hearing kids got teased because of me... I did not realize.. until they all grew up and admitted to me how they were teased because of me... I felt bad for them... I did not feel that i was made fun of by others... I can understand how you all feel...

deafmedicalpoet, I understand how your feeling. Don't be feel sorry yourself. Myself a Cerebral Palsy of course, I already PM you in few mins ago. anyway.

don't worry about the people unfair treated on you.

Important is be yourself and show the world that you can do anything with your CP.

One day I will show the world, I want to have some kids with my future wife or girlfriend who is trust me whatever. The reason I want to work hard to be sucessful father to my future kids. I know it is huge responbility but I can do it. I have to believe it.

Let you know i have driver licence myself since 1994. No one can't tell me if I can't do anything. I keep stroong ingnore the peopple make fun of me.

I have a strong computer skill background.

you know what? CP people can do anything whatever they wish and keep in dream until they make it period..

Keep it up and be yourself.

GoldenLea74.

that sums up my experience as well but sadly I never recall any students sticking up for me. My one and only friend from school moved away in 8th grade when her grandmother (who had raised her and her brother) had to move to a different town to live with her mother. By the 9th grade I was a loner, and kept to myself. MY brother would taunt me, my class mates and 2 in particular would taunt me on a daily basis. But you know what I proved them wrong when my English teacher made me realize what a good writer and poet I am. My grandmother reinforced in me that I am also a good artist. From those two good souls, I made it through those rough years. I admit even today my self-esteem isnt what it probably should be, but I manage. Ive met a wonderful church family, and my junior high English teacher goes there and they are very aware of my deafness and they are the nicest people Ive met thus far. Turns out my English teacher has a sister that is a 'terp in Sacramento. Could that terp' be here? I have no idea, but I'm thankful for these people. They understand a bit about what I have to deal with everyday and just that small boost of confidence and acceptence helps out more than what most people realize.

Also because of my deafness - I would rather work with dogs than people anyways. Dogs don't care if you can't hear or not, they just want to work for you and please you and offer their companionship. Many times I have thought about writing a book on What God can teach us through Dogs.
:afro:

I know all about discrimination against the disabled. I grew up with a multiple of minor disabilities. I was slightly deaf, had mild asperger syndrome, thyroid deficency and petit mal/temprol lobe epilepsy. (I didn't lose my sight until age 17) I started off at a special school where people kept asking why I was there for as nobody could understand what was wrong with me because none of my disabilities were severe enough to be really noticable. I was also brought up differantly and had a french mother so everyone called me 'froggie' and made stupid jokes whenever I came back from visiting my grandparents in France.

I was moved from there when my dad realised that nobody took exams at that place. I was moved to a small rural high school because my folks thought because it was small and rural I would be ok there. That just isn't true. I found some kids from farming communities can be as cruel as it gets. I was driven out of that place because this boy didn't want a 'mental deafo' in his class. The bullying was really bad so I ended up leaving.

I was moved to a partial hearing unit at an inner city hearing school. They were very oral at that place but at least the bullying wasn't so bad. There was a whole group of as at the unit and we all stuck together dispite the fact the teachers at the PHU kept trying to intergrate us more.

I still get discriminated against. I've also suffered from domestic violence. Some people don't understand about my blindness as I'm not totally blind and am very mobile for a deafblind person so I get accused of only pretending to be blind. Being profoundly deaf (rather then HOH) does have its advantages though as I don't have to listen to people being nasty to me.

I didn't really have much self estime while I was growing up. Being vegan and my animal friends has helped gain more self worth. Besides which, what I've had to deal with as a disabled person is nothing compaired to how cruel people can be to other animals.

It's hard for me to understand how could people call other people names for things they have no fault for having. It's like..what do they expect of us? We are able to function and have human feelings like theirs, so an institution isn't exactly the solution. I don't understand their mannerism. Like, where did they get it was okay to call people names for their disabilities?

I think the main reason people do these things is that they are insecure! But some of them can learn, because they aren't trying to be malicious. A lot of their flawed knowledge comes from their upbringing regarding the true ability and potential of other human beings. So when they encounter someone like "us" beating that perception... LOL!

People can be their own worst enemies, and undervalue themselves.. that's when the real problems start! Just don't buy into that crap even when others believe it of you, and you'll be okay. Everyone else is weird, and you're the only normal one! ;)

I know all about discrimination against the disabled. I grew up with a multiple of minor disabilities. I was slightly deaf, had mild asperger syndrome, thyroid deficency and petit mal/temprol lobe epilepsy. (I didn't lose my sight until age 17) I started off at a special school where people kept asking why I was there for as nobody could understand what was wrong with me because none of my disabilities were severe enough to be really noticable. I was also brought up differantly and had a french mother so everyone called me 'froggie' and made stupid jokes whenever I came back from visiting my grandparents in France.

I was moved from there when my dad realised that nobody took exams at that place. I was moved to a small rural high school because my folks thought because it was small and rural I would be ok there. That just isn't true. I found some kids from farming communities can be as cruel as it gets. I was driven out of that place because this boy didn't want a 'mental deafo' in his class. The bullying was really bad so I ended up leaving.

I was moved to a partial hearing unit at an inner city hearing school. They were very oral at that place but at least the bullying wasn't so bad. There was a whole group of as at the unit and we all stuck together dispite the fact the teachers at the PHU kept trying to intergrate us more.

I still get discriminated against. I've also suffered from domestic violence. Some people don't understand about my blindness as I'm not totally blind and am very mobile for a deafblind person so I get accused of only pretending to be blind. Being profoundly deaf (rather then HOH) does have its advantages though as I don't have to listen to people being nasty to me.

I didn't really have much self estime while I was growing up. Being vegan and my animal friends has helped gain more self worth. Besides which, what I've had to deal with as a disabled person is nothing compaired to how cruel people can be to other animals.

I am sorry that u had to go thru that. :hug:

It seems like the teachers didnt know what was the best for u and your friends if they kept trying to integrate u all. I do not like teachers like that. Leave the children be and let them discover their own identity rather than forcing it on them. :roll:

Its going but I've not been getting as much of it done as I would have liked due to the Demo being tonight and I'm making final preps.

As far as ASL - I'm learning new signs everyday so far I guesstimate that I know around 100, not much but I'm getting there. Ive been watching some ASL videos on YouTube to work on my reception skills a bit and I'm able to pick out a few signs here and there and get the basic portion of the message put together though I am not yet able to pick out exact details. I just hope Ive got enough cash in August that I can sign up for the formal ASL class.

Thanks for asking. :cheers:
-Dixie

I am sorry that u had to go thru that. :hug:

It seems like the teachers didnt know what was the best for u and your friends if they kept trying to integrate u all. I do not like teachers like that. Leave the children be and let them discover their own identity rather than forcing it on them. :roll:

:ty:

You are right about the teachers at the PHU. I was really disapointed about their attitude and not teaching any signing. It was my first experience with the oralist method. They wrote in my report that I was mixing with the younger (deaf) students too much and should have friends of my own age but I've always spent most of my time alone so my folks were glad for me to have any friends. The age differance is simply irevelant.

:ty:

You are right about the teachers at the PHU. I was really disapointed about their attitude and not teaching any signing. It was my first experience with the oralist method. They wrote in my report that I was mixing with the younger (deaf) students too much and should have friends of my own age but I've always spent most of my time alone so my folks were glad for me to have any friends. The age differance is simply irevelant.

Geez! That's even worse than what my teachers wrote in my report cards. They wrote that I needed to improve my attention in class and that I had problems with day dreaming. Hello! The teachers would walk around the room yapping away and I couldnt understand them so I just analyzed the posters, the walls, the ceiling, and the other students. I got yelled at soo many times for that. I didn't understand my needs so of course, I took their word for it and my self esteem went down cuz I believed that I had attention problems. :pissed:

That's why I am wary of deaf children today being mainstreamed...too many public school teachers really do not know how nor understand the needs of deaf or deafblind children. Parents say that it is better for their children to be mainstreamed fully but most parents themselves don't know much about deaf education either. Even myself, who grew up deaf, didn't know much about deaf education before grad school.
There r so many issues to think about when educating deaf or deafblind children. I know almost nothing about teaching deaf-blind children so to say this or that on how to teach them would make me a hypocrate.
If I get a deaf-blind student, I will seek advice from people who have knowledge about their needs first.

Back