Deaf people in jail.

Would agree with around one percent.

This is sort of an old thread, but I thought I might bring some life back to it. I am presenting at an International conference at Bridgewater State in Massachusetts on the 27th. This conference is about the Deaf and the Criminal Justice system. Being Deaf in prison is a big civil rights issue with Deaf being denied basic rights of access to interpreters, TTYs, etc. Also, problems with Deaf being railroaded by the police with no access to interpreters. This is a topic the Deaf community may wish to revisit.

As a Hard of Hearing, signing (still learning) legal professional, I am appalled by the number of Deaf individuals who were inappropriately convicted due to a violation of their ADA and civil rights. Everyone has a right to understand the charges against them and the right to participate in their own defense. If that is denied, and if they are further abused and subjected to discrimination after incarceration, we've all got problems.

Just sayin...

There are also family rights issues. My son has been in jail a number of times, with the glass window and telephone. The telephones are clunky old things, with no t-coil. There is only one cubicle with a door, and some of the families are NOISY! It took a loud hissy-fit in the waiting room to get them to assure me that he would always come in with pen and paper. Which is not adequate in all cases because his handwriting is so bad.

As a Hard of Hearing, signing (still learning) legal professional, I am appalled by the number of Deaf individuals who were inappropriately convicted due to a violation of their ADA and civil rights. Everyone has a right to understand the charges against them and the right to participate in their own defense. If that is denied, and if they are further abused and subjected to discrimination after incarceration, we've all got problems.

Did I read that right? They were convicted because their rights were violated???

Do you mean to say that they were not granted a fair trial because the courts did not provide them with the best possible defense?

I don't recall any discussion in the Toronto newspapers re: Deaf prisoners "over represented in the prison population. There was/is certain groups currently "discussed" however.

I had a Judge tell me...years ago...that he didn't care if I were Deaf or not...that he would put me in jail if "I assaulted that man again"!....

This was one mean, old Judge....in a very bad mood...or had something up his azz about Deaf people...whatever the case, I really never found out....But I'm telling you...I left that Courtroom very, very angry!....

I paid my small fine....and took out an injunction on the man that the Judge said I asaulted!...:giggle:....He's never bothered me again...and if he does...well....hopefully, I won't have to face that same old Judge again....:roll:

This is sort of an old thread, but I thought I might bring some life back to it. I am presenting at an International conference at Bridgewater State in Massachusetts on the 27th. This conference is about the Deaf and the Criminal Justice system. Being Deaf in prison is a big civil rights issue with Deaf being denied basic rights of access to interpreters, TTYs, etc. Also, problems with Deaf being railroaded by the police with no access to interpreters. This is a topic the Deaf community may wish to revisit.

Just sayin...
Hey, don't leave us hanging. Tell us more about this conference please. I for one am very interested. Have always had problems with police, nothing serious but would like to know more.
Are you LLP? Esq? A shame you didn't post this earlier. I would have been interested in that conference.
Well, a thanks for your advocating

I had a Judge tell me...years ago...that he didn't care if I were Deaf or not...that he would put me in jail if "I assaulted that man again"!....

This was one mean, old Judge....in a very bad mood...or had something up his azz about Deaf people...whatever the case, I really never found out....But I'm telling you...I left that Courtroom very, very angry!....

I paid my small fine....and took out an injunction on the man that the Judge said I asaulted!...:giggle:....He's never bothered me again...and if he does...well....hopefully, I won't have to face that same old Judge again....:roll:

Your a tough cookie RR:giggle:

It is the information I don't get that is more important than what I do get.

For instance: We have at present more means to have statistical accuracy and analysis about everything than ever before. We have more scientists, we have super computers, we have all manner of think tanks, insurance companies, advertising company's, schools, government institutions, medical schools and hospitals, etc, all of them deep into gathering information analyzing it and creating policy based on it.
Yet something like how many deaf people in prison? You know that fact is out there and available somewhere just like a kazillion other facts having to do with us people. These facts are meaningful. They are just as likely being gathered say by China to target American markets and gain market share in new and old technologies. We run a large trade deficit with every single country we have free trade agreements with. Our information goes across borders to do this. Private prisons in America are a multibillion dollar economy. There is plenty of incentive for fact gathering.

Makes you kind of wonder how a deaf person is being treated PRIOR to actually landing in jail.

Makes me think of the deaf or HOH cyclist who was tased because he would not get off of his bicycle by command of the police. He fell, hit his head and later died. :(

Jail data is not easy to obtain. Every state's department of corrections has some difficulty obtaining inmate and parolee data from jail systems quickly. By the time agencies finish compiling information about how much of their jail's population was deaf/hoh, the deaf/hoh inmates would probably have been released already. That's just how it is with jails. Prisons are intended for longer term sentences which the incarcerated are to be serving for years. This would be better to investigate how much of the population is deaf or hoh.

If you don't understand the difference between jails and prisons - jails are overseen by your State/County Sheriff Office, and for short term punishment of offenders.
Many of the people who get jailed get released in months.

The real question is similar to what green427 mentioned about fair trials. Are these deaf/hoh people getting convicted because of A, B or C?
A) Are they receiving due process, are they not properly given their Miranda rights upon apprehension by the law enforcement agency?
Does the deaf/hoh person understand what Miranda rights are?

B) Was there reasonable suspicion given for investigation of the deaf/hoh person?
Did this search & seizure (whether by Patriot Act, warrant, bench warrant, etc.) supersede the necessity to provide "equal opportunity" to the deaf/hoh person?
Does this deaf/hoh person pose a risk to the community based on the reasonable suspicion?
Example: Authorities are notified this deaf/hoh person may have a bomb, credit card purchases showed the person bought materials that could be used in bombs. Should the agency wait to find an interpreter to sign the suspect their Miranda rights, or can they find a quicker way to do this without waiting? The risk of having a bomb around is still there if they wait.

C) Combination of A+B

I feel each instance involving a convicted deaf/hoh felon needs to be looked at individually on case-by-case basis rather than lump them all into one theme that they didn't receive proper ADA protocol.

Not sure, but I do know that the DRA is suing various counties in the CA Bay Area for failing to accommodate the Deaf prisoners. Maybe you could ask them.

Edit: DRA is Disability Rights Advocates

I know few in for felony charges the longest one I know is 17 years (Soon 18 years). I agreed with all of them that needs to be served but one. I felt bad for him. He is awesome guy but misunderstand landed him jail on felony charges. He takes responsibility for his action, yes but I don't think he done with intention but because how law is written, and by law judges had to follow what is outlined in specific law that he was charged for. he is pretty much stuck.

IMHO I think it is too much of traumatic for any Deafies who are being forced into jail due to the language and how judicial system works. Judicial system is really pretty much ICE COLD. (What that means is that there isn't much flexible in court room) And having Deafies in Jail is equilvent to solitary confinement for them, because they usually don't interact with hearing people and most hearing criminals don't give a damn. Sad, but true.

I hope to talk with good friend of mine soon see how he comes out. I hope he is doing OK.

few months ago a deaf guy was sent down here in uk...i gather quite afew other prisoners went to signing course also some warders,he did vicious crime and got what he deserved..i surppose you got look at percentage of people in prison then percentage of disabled both prison and america in general see how many of deaf who come within that scope..or just look it up in public records be quicker

I was told if a deaf or hoh person is arrested anything they say to the cops CAN'T be used against them if there was no interpreter presence at the time.
I was told this a long time ago so I can't remember you told me this.

Back