Deaf people in jail.

MelRob12

Reaction score
Hi everyone!!

Its my first time to post. :shock:

I tried to find any different kind websites to find how many percent Deaf people are in jail in each states.

Help me out?

Hi everyone!!

I tried to find any different kind websites to find how many percent Deaf people are in jail in each states.

Help me out?

Unclear question. Do you mean the percentage of jail populations who are deaf?

The percentage of total deaf people in a state who are in jail?

Also, why are you asking?

Unclear question. Do you mean the percentage of jail populations who are deaf?

The percentage of total deaf people in a state who are in jail?

Also, why are you asking?

I agree. Why would we care whether 10% or 75 % of prison population is deaf?

Interesting question...now I want know! Wonder if same like Aboriginals in Canada who 2% total population yet 40% prison population.

I think this whole topic of percentages of people in jail is best left alone or i can see it ending in fights and bans.

This may or may not be true, but urban legend has it that judges don't like to send handicapped people to prison. However, since we have sentencing guidelines today it probably doesn't matter.

I wonder if ADA applies to prison?

just 1%, I assuming, it would be around 100 deaf prison here in TX.

Hi everyone!!

Help me out?

first of all, please introduce yourself to us and why are you asking about deaf in prison.

Are those questions for your homework?

Please expand your questions. thank you.

first of all, please introduce yourself to us and why are you asking about deaf in prison.

Are those questions for your homework?

Please expand your questions. thank you.

Naw, he or she won't respond and lurking after post to collect the information.

This may or may not be true, but urban legend has it that judges don't like to send handicapped people to prison. However, since we have sentencing guidelines today it probably doesn't matter.

I wonder if ADA applies to prison?

Yes, the ADA applies to prison populations as well, and complaints of violations are filed directly with the DOJ.

The deaf population in prison just grew by one or two more deaf people recently.

If the hearing person don't take advantage of the deaf person and not have to make the deaf person be the fall guy so that the hearing person is free from whatever he had done like murder and stealing. I just read an article in another thread. That was sad. ADA is very important to get deaf rights for the deaf prisoners. Some are guilty and others are not guilty, just innocent. It happen to hearing prisoners too. :(

I always found it interesting what the statistics were when it came to people in prison. (I'm left handed) I was told that 75% of people in prison are left handed. What percent does that 75% represent of the total population of lefties? There are more Theists in prison than Atheists. Did they take the survey before or after those people converted over because they felt bad for what they did. My personal favorite, developed countries have more criminals than underdeveloped ones. Do developed nations really attract a higher percentage of criminals or are they merely more capable of apprehending those prisoners. Statistics are meaningless when facts are involved.

I always found it interesting what the statistics were when it came to people in prison. (I'm left handed) I was told that 75% of people in prison are left handed. What percent does that 75% represent of the total population of lefties? There are more Theists in prison than Atheists. Did they take the survey before or after those people converted over because they felt bad for what they did. My personal favorite, developed countries have more criminals than underdeveloped ones. Do developed nations really attract a higher percentage of criminals or are they merely more capable of apprehending those prisoners. Statistics are meaningless when facts are involved.

Statistics are not meaningless. They simply need to be interpreted in context. BTW...where did you arrive at that 75%? You are attempting to assign cause and effect through descriptive statistics. That is your mistake.

Statistics are not meaningless. They simply need to be interpreted in context. BTW...where did you arrive at that 75%? You are attempting to assign cause and effect through descriptive statistics. That is your mistake.

The 75% is something my friend told me (doubt it's true). Also, I don't really believe they're meaningless per se but I do believe that people rely on them way too much. That's where our judgmental attitude comes from. We as people rarely try to include anomalies because we're so busy worrying about statistics that we forget to include those anomalies in the statistics themselves. It has been my experience that the general population has NO IDEA how to interpret stats and in ways, I would like them to be completely ignorant if they are simply going to manipulate the information for every fear they ever had.

The 75% is something my friend told me (doubt it's true). Also, I don't really believe they're meaningless per se but I do believe that people rely on them way too much. That's where our judgmental attitude comes from. We as people rarely try to include anomalies because we're so busy worrying about statistics that we forget to include those anomalies in the statistics themselves. It has been my experience that the general population has NO IDEA how to interpret stats and in ways, I would like them to be completely ignorant if they are simply going to manipulate the information for every fear they ever had.

I will agree that the general population has no idea how to interpret stats or how to evaluate research that is responsible for those stats. They simply use them as a way to attempt to justify their own mistaken persepctive of "the way things are."

Statistics are not meaningless. They are, however, easily manipulated and need careful treatment. Always be wary of statistics taken out of context.

I'm also left handed. I can tell you from personal experience that your 75% is wrong. I have never met a left handed ex-felon and I've lived in neighborhoods where 75% of the hood had attended.

Theists/ atheists = Have you ever heard of "Jailhouse Religion"?

Developed countries do NOT have more criminals. What they have is more laws against more things and far stricter laws that are enforced. And it is getting worse.

For example: 50 years ago I lived in a state where you were allowed to defend yourself with any means at hand. Now days the tenet is that you shall not defend yourself with more force than your assailant uses. Thus today a 5' 5" woman can go to jail if she whacks her 6' 6" assailant over the head with a frying pan instead of duking it out with him in a fair fight.

Call each jail to find out? I'd like to know how many are out there.

I was told by a lawyer a few years ago that I should become a terp and work jails because the percentage of deaf men in prison is about the same as the population at large -- But finding a male terp to go in and work is difficult both because there are so few male terps and because a lot of male terps are afraid to go into a prison and do their job.

So in the U.S. there are 743 adults in prison per 100,000 general population. Two percent of the population is D/deaf (Yes you can find sources to say anything from .002% up to 20% depending on your definition) So we can assume out of every 743 adults 15 are D/deaf.

You can jump all those figures up several times if you include probation, parole, etc.

Back