Deaf on driver license

I already have a strip on my drivers license that says "hearing impaired/deaf" so it kinda helps when I get pulled over- easy to point. People will shut up once they read that and not just speak to me and think I'm extremetly a bitch for not "talking" back. Soo its nice advantage one way another.

CoolieFroggie- just a suggestion… Your friend or the board members should consider getting in touch with the hearing impaired/deaf/hard-of-hearing organizations in their residing state. Suggest that the organizations to conduct suggestions, etc from the hearing impaired population.

Votes and suggestions on things like that SHOULD be done by the residents within the state. I am sure many of the residents are taxpayers and they deserve to have says in the matters, not from those living outside of the state. :)

Well!!.. I would like to have "deaf" on my driver license.. cuz I do speak very well.. whatever time to time.. i get pull over or DMV or police dept or.. Fire Depts.. anything.. even emergency.. or involved in accident.. show your driver license that you are deaf.. than putting up with their doubts..
when i had terrible accident.. I passed out whole time till I woke up in ER.. they thought i was dead or comatose.. cuz they tried calling my name or talked to me.. later found out that i am deaf.. they go *relief*..
See.. if they see driver license "deaf".. they will handle you better than puzzled or figured out.

also.. proof that you are deaf with other among things like credits, ss office, stores.. movies.. some movies discount for deaf people but they stopped doing this.. cuz of hearing people can be cheated..
anyways!
hope someday we have something do with our imparied on driver license to less hassle..

MsGiglz said:
Well!!.. I would like to have "deaf" on my driver license.. cuz I do speak very well.. whatever time to time.. i get pull over or DMV or police dept or.. Fire Depts.. anything.. even emergency.. or involved in accident.. show your driver license that you are deaf.. than putting up with their doubts..
when i had terrible accident.. I passed out whole time till I woke up in ER.. they thought i was dead or comatose.. cuz they tried calling my name or talked to me.. later found out that i am deaf.. they go *relief*..
See.. if they see driver license "deaf".. they will handle you better than puzzled or figured out.

also.. proof that you are deaf with other among things like credits, ss office, stores.. movies.. some movies discount for deaf people but they stopped doing this.. cuz of hearing people can be cheated..
anyways!
hope someday we have something do with our imparied on driver license to less hassle..
*applauds* Well put! :thumb:

sooo it's seem alot of options.. i will talk with one of my friend to read all this... jeez it's gotten so many different options.. thanks for your all help..

Thanks everybody..

CoolieFroggie

Strawberry said:
I already have a strip on my drivers license that says "hearing impaired/deaf" so it kinda helps when I get pulled over- easy to point. People will shut up once they read that and not just speak to me and think I'm extremetly a bitch for not "talking" back. Soo its nice advantage one way another.
You go girl! :fly3:

Pinkster and others have got me thinking...

As an EMT, there are several ways to check a person's Level Of Consciousness. It is called the A.V.P.U Method. That Means

A - Alert
V - Respond to Verbal Stimuli (Shouting Or Sounds)
P - Respond to Painful Stimuli (Pinch or Sternal Rub)
U - Unresponsive.

There are certain scores that go with houw a person responds. Without knowing that someone is deaf, their score will not be accurate. So therefore, I believe that it should be optional to put it on your license, but a good idea.

As a Police Dispatcher, I have said this before. All police departments that I know are hooked up to computers. There are times that the computer systems go down. Some states go down every Sunday for maintenance. But either way, I feel that for car registrations, something should be noted on the computer record that the driver could or is deaf. That way, the officer will know. I don't believe that it should be written on the plate. I don't feel that the whole world should know unless you want them to know. Then, you can proudly display your ILY, Deaf Pride, and Gally stickers all over the back of your car.

I know I am rambling on, but it is just my thoughts at the current moment

VamPyroX said:
My drivers license says "S - Outside mirror or hearing aid"...

I have same as yours. Mine said "F -- Hearing aids or Full-view mirrors" :)

Lianca said:
I have same as yours. Mine said "F -- Hearing aids or Full-view mirrors" :)
I once had a cop give me a hard time cuz I couldn't understand him. A couple cops pulled my friend over for changing lanes too late before the stop light. They had my friends get out of the truck as well as me. One cop questioned each of my friends. Finally, it was my turn and the cop took my wallet. As he started talking, I couldn't understand him. He then said, "What the hell can't you understand me!? What are you... deaf!?" I responded, "Yes." He then looked at my license and his face turned red. He then questioned my friends a bit more then let us go. Heh! Good thing I had that on my license. Other wise, I'd probably have him screaming at me for the next 10 minutes while the other cop look me up in the computer! :crazy:

VamPyroX said:
I once had a cop give me a hard time cuz I couldn't understand him. A couple cops pulled my friend over for changing lanes too late before the stop light. They had my friends get out of the truck as well as me. One cop questioned each of my friends. Finally, it was my turn and the cop took my wallet. As he started talking, I couldn't understand him. He then said, "What the hell can't you understand me!? What are you... deaf!?" I responded, "Yes." He then looked at my license and his face turned red. He then questioned my friends a bit more then let us go. Heh! Good thing I had that on my license. Other wise, I'd probably have him screaming at me for the next 10 minutes while the other cop look me up in the computer! :crazy:

Oh My God!!!! The cop were so nitwit. I wouldn't dare to say "What are you.. Deaf?" I am sure the cop learned his lesson for the next time.

I remembered when I was in Vegas for New Years. On New Years Day, My ex and I were in the car and talking and had the light on in the car to sign. The street were soo black. No street light in desert. My ex and I didn't see how fast we went. The cop flashed the light to our faces. I covered my face. My ex pulled over. The cop came to us and was sorry abt the light on my face. I said ok. He asked my ex for her license and asked me if I am deaf. I nodded. He said nothing and went to his car then he came back with ticket. He told my ex to drive slow and told her that he put down 70 instead of 80 for speed on the ticket. The cop knew we didn't realized we were on speeding because we were using ASL.

Some cops didnt care if we are deaf or not. They sometimes were so mean on us because we broke the law.

I'm from New Jersey and I get this blue sticker thingy on my license from DMV to verify that I'm deaf.

I think most of the states should do this.

I have both "outside rearview mirror" and "hearing aid" on my driver's license as restrictions....and I live in Florida. :)

I found this in URL: http://www.achi.state.az.us/clearchannels/May_June_1999_monthly_upd.htm

Identified Deaf Drivers

Arizona passed a law in 1982 that allowed Deaf and Hard of Hearing people who own car, truck and/or van to have a special license plate with first letter "H". The "H" plate helps the police, ambulance and emergency people know that the driver may be deaf and/or hard of hearing.

The Arizona Law is Section (§) 28.308.04 but it is not required for you to have this license plate. You can request to apply for one with the local County Auto License office at no extra charge fee.

There are other states that identified Deaf and/or hard of Hearing.

In Virginia, there is a "9" on driver’s license to identify that the driver is Deaf and/or Hard of Hearing when they requested. When the police officer calls in with their driver’s license number, it will automatically show up on the computer as a Deaf and/or Hard of Hearing.

In Illinois, with driver’s requisition, they can add "J88" on driver’s license. Also, they can put down "J88" on car registration. When the police officer calls in with license plate number, the computer will show that the driver is Deaf and/or Hard of Hearing because the information from registration form will be filled in the computer.

Carebearx13x said:
I'm from New Jersey and I get this blue sticker thingy on my license from DMV to verify that I'm deaf.

I think most of the states should do this.

That is with the old licences. I wonder what they do with the new licences for New Jersey, as I heard NJ started issuing new credit-card type of licences in 2003.

edit: didn't realise needed subscription to see article

Photo of new licence for NJ:
njnewdl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
kuifje75 said:
That is with the old licences. I wonder what they do with the new licences for New Jersey, as I heard NJ started issuing new credit-card type of licences in 2003.

http://www.dailytargum.com/news/2004/01/20/PageOne/N.j-Issues.Digital.Drivers.License-583219.shtml
A lot of states issue credit card-like licenses. They simply swipe the drivers license through the machine and it brings up everything about that person. If you want to give cops a hard time, run your drivers license through a magentic strip and it will make the strip invalid. Because of that, they will have to take more time to look up your name on the computer. ;) Some of my hearing friends do that with their licenses. Hehehe!

Anyway, is that what you're referring to or is there a new credit card-type license that I don't know about?

Recently, one gas station had a glitch in the computer and it allowed people to use their credit card-like licenses to get free gas. This went on for a month and a lot of people got away with it. However, since it reads like a credit card... they were able to look through the records and track down those people because those licenses give out exactly what's read on the license. Oops! :Oops:

Until 2004, New Jersey didn't have any credit-card type of licenses. It was still run on old technology of paper and lamination.

I wouldn't want to run my card thru a magnetic because I wouldn't want to make it forever and to make cop mad.

Interesting about the glitch of computer system. I'll never forget when I got away with gas for so cheap (17 cents per gallon) because the lady set the price wrong. I alerted the woman to the mistake and offered to pay the rest but she said not to worry about it! It was great paying only 1.70$ to fill my tank.

kuifje75 said:

edit: didn't realise needed subscription to see article

Photo of new licence for NJ:
njnewdl.jpg
I have new license design and they still do put the sticker on the license, but on the back.

Carebearx13x said:
I have new license design and they still do put the sticker on the license, but on the back.

That really sucks because I would think it would be better to have it included in the card rather than putting a sticker on the licence, That's stupid, IMO

Back