Deaf on driver license

Oh OK. Maybe I'll scan the one I have and post in here. I was stupid for buying one, thinking that it may help. But I felt it's ridiculous now. :roll:

intresting mizz deaf i like that little code at least it can be helpful but ofc its the option for the deaf, i won't put anything on there unless it warrants for me to do so...

vampy ROFL u funny:rofl: well if i had told well all u had to do is go to the domestic voilence thread its all there. :-X

javapride said:
hahaha i uddy megdelon i respect that aspect but think of this computer has gone high speed now days so we will get the info in less then 30-1 minute to get all info. i just don't feel comfy putting anything on my lience except my address and its standard infos, why waste that time when i can be pateince and let them use the judgement to check the data base. im on the police data base for three different reasons. two of them are pertaining my health disablity and ofc my interpeter status whilist the 3rd is pretty much an 5th admendment :) ( don't ask don't tell) :)

I think you're not really listening. You may be reading, but not listening. We all have valid points, some better than others. I do not think we are "putting ourselves out there" for having something on our DL that says we've got an issue. If I were a cop, or an EMT, i'd like to know if a person is deaf, because if im screaming their name and they cant respond, what good does that do for me?

Yes, computers are getting better, but they're not perfect. What happens if the computer doesnt work? Or the info comes back half way instead of fully? I think and I will always think, it is a good idea to have a little code, like MizzDeaf said MO has (even tho its optional.) We're better off with it, I think. Lets say I get pulled over, and you know I speak very well. Most people dont think I'm deaf until I dont respond when they've asked me a q and I'm not looking, or I tell them. If I tell a cop I'm deaf, what makes him believe me? This is (as I said before) a really good way to ensure proper communication. And isnt that what we strive for? Better communication and lifestyles?

You should open your mind up a little more. :) But you'll do what you want, and I'll do what I want. They dont have to be the same thing. But that doesnt mean one of us is more right than the other, but one has more positive logic than the other.

I have experienced RUDE policemen in the past not believing that I was Deaf, so I sure don't hesistate to put DEAF on my driver's licence. My Utah licence has DEAF on the back, so I feel much safer if a police has to pull me over for whatever reason, that he won't have to reach for his gun if I needed to go to glovebox compartment to get notepad to write something.

As for thieves and breaking into Deaf people's places, or shooting Deaf people, I think I would be more worried about policemen shooting me or arresting me for whatever reason because I was unable to communicate.

I wouldn't put that on my license plate because I'm a woman. I'm just afraid that I may be a good target for them to get me into trouble or even killed!

I heard a sad story one time that this deaf guy in Calif a longtime ago that he was shot to death by a highway patrol cuz he gestured that he is deaf and he thought he was drunk so when he reached over to the glove compartment to get paper and pencil, the HP shot him to death!! geez!
I dont have anything on my Drivers license that im deaf or whatever except that i must have outside rear view mirror on my vehicle. They dont even ask if i have any disability so they dont know that im deaf heh!
There are pro and cons on whether to put the word "deaf" on drivers license or not...so i dont know really...

Gee... everyone's paranoid. Whatever happened to deaf pride? Aren't any of you proud to be deaf?

Of course, this is just a sarcastic remark... ;)

javapride said:
they have ur address they see OH thier deaf fine we'll go break in thier home!

Ehh. Doesn't this assumes all Deaf are sitting ducks?! :|

Not wanting a fact to be listed on the card suggets that the the fact is a bad thing - something we do not wish to be associated with.

But I have no problem with Deaf. I have no problem with this on license. It is accessibility issue people may need to accomodate, not deficiency that makes me vulnerable. Theoretically, the card is information meant for self and the authority.

Truth is, police may not look you up on the computer before pulling you over. This is common. The card clearly and consistently states the situation; that is, does not hear/perhaps not communicate verbally. Which is really the main issue: isn't it?

For the sake of analogy. It is in police policy (in Toronto anyway) that police provide an interpreter for people who do not communicate in english (ASL or recent newcomers to Canada). Plenty of times, those that I see in my work report that this option was not given to them. Family member was used, no interpreter at all, or the interpreter was provided at a later date only.
There's a million reasons why: officer was misinformed, he did not understand the client's needs, or simply did not have the time or forethought to honor it.

It is an act of faith to assume that the officer will necessarily look you up. If there is a risk that the police will not understand me in a time-limited (if not critical) situation, hey man I welcome a little on-the-card backup :)

what i would suggest that put the sticker by window of driver say "J88" it would be good enuff for me .... thats simple ... cuz not many ppl know what J88 stand for .. not too big to notice ... just regluar for emt or cop to notice it ... also, I do carry the J88 card with me anywhere with or without car no matter what just in the case anything happen to me .. I usually put J88 card next to my DL more faster and notice

Last edited:
That is lot true about J88 that you had some ideas about EMT or COPS know who you are or they will ended up shot you or handcuffed you.

I been met MEAN cop in OKLA once -- never again! She never believe me being deaf and etc.. no thanks.

I was pulled over by a motorcycle cop last Saturday for making an illegal left turn.

He kept hollering at me from his motorcycle. What is the purpose of putting Deaf on the license if he cant get close enough to me to see that I am deaf.

I remained quiet in the car and he came up to my window, screaming. I motioned to my ears and that they were broken. He suddenly stopped and wrote down his messages on his notepad.

I think it will be easier to put deaf in car plates - so he can see it from afar. Discreet of course - a number that only cops or medics will recognize, not the general public.

By the way, he let me go with a mere warning - he said that he checked my files and discovered that I hadnt had any tickets since 1991 :)

Katzie said:
It isn't about that.... it's about safety.
Well, people can still find out if you're deaf without looking at your license anyway. They've got Mormon people going door to door and they have a complete list of every deaf resident in the city of Rochester. How do I know? They visited a friend of mine one weekend. My friend let them in and they both sat so he could discuss his Mormon preachings. He also mentioned that he knew that my friend was deaf. When they were done, my friend led him out the door. Before he closed the door, he asked, "How did you know I was deaf?" The guy replied, "Oh, I've got a complete listing here... *showing my friend a 50 page booklet of every deaf resident in the city of Rochester*" My friend grabbed the book out of his hand and slammed the door on his face. How did he get the list? He simply retrieved it from the national database. It's already out there. Whether it's on your license or not, they're going to find out anyway. Hell, I could find out anyone's home address and phone number through Google! :type:

Vampyrox - isn't that awful... that's an invasion of privacy. Still, I wouldn't put "deaf" on my license plate because it's easier for them to track me down without needing an extra work. So, I'm going to make them work for it. So far no one has bothered me. :D

after looking at MizzDeaf's post abt this "J88" here in Missouri and reading her linkie -- i would go for it cuz its more discreet and is coded as opposed to being "deaf" (like how it is labeled in Utah if i remmy right from Kuifje's post) where there would be obvious to anyone else who were looking at my DL (if u still get carded at clubs or etc LOL) and talking with MizzDeaf she has a point abt it being discreet so im more inclined to agree with her points

Katzie said:
Vampyrox - isn't that awful... that's an invasion of privacy. Still, I wouldn't put "deaf" on my license plate because it's easier for them to track me down without needing an extra work. So, I'm going to make them work for it. So far no one has bothered me. :D

Katzie -- yea awful but mormon missionaries would still go out looking for deafies -- ofc this is another different topic :lol:

*shuts up and puts this thread back on its' proper tracks ref to DL*

Deaf is only word. Don't feel so offense. It d be easy for them to know that you are deaf.

they would add restriction(s) on their license and identification card.

Some good points here...

Anyway, I don't believe having a license plate indicating your hearing impairment would do harm. I mean for example, in Tennessee, license plates for the hearing impaired doesn't have anything like hearing impaired, deaf, etc on the plates, it looks a lot like normal license plates. You can check out for more info: http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/licen41.html

I haven't heard of anything like hearing people attacking on hearing impaired people just because of the special license plates. With that license plate, many hearing people will not realize it is a special license plate for the hearing impaired, because they do not know what 'TTY' or 'TDD' is.

EDIT: Take a look at Arizona's hearing impaired license plate: http://www.dot.state.az.us/mvd/vehicle/mvdplate.htm#Hearing - I think that is a good chance putting the hearing impaired at risk!

Also, take look at Illinois: http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/d...te_guide/standard_plates/hearing_impared.html and Pennsyvania: http://www.plateshack.com/y2k/Pennsylvania2/pa2004hearingimpaired.jpg

Last edited:
My drivers license says "S - Outside mirror or hearing aid"...

So far, no one has robbed me! ;)

look like lot of ppl has different opinions so I guess each states has good ideas... I have S as hearing aide or outside mirror on my DL...

cop will stop and upset with me -- still not help anything.

Back