Deaf NFL player Derrick Coleman's Duracell commercial

Well what do you think about what he said during the commercial? The video I posted has captions.

It is not what he said. Yes, there were subtitles in the video. It is the demonstration that the commercial want us to see with no deaf hang ups. Can you imagine that every deaf people have to wear hearing aids or CIs 24/7 all the time? That is not the way we do. This is what hearing people expect us to do that all the time, even in rough or dangerous sports like football. I did not see your post but I did see on MSN News and saw the video. He is beautiful but when he demonstrate that he had drop his hearing aids and then tried to put tapes with the hearing aids on his ears and then put on his helmet. That really made me disappoint me about that. I don't go for that. :(

It is absolutely what he said. It is why I posted it, I didn't post it because it shows him wearing hearing aids under his helmet, and that's why this commercial is getting the praise it is on the Internet. You are a thief of joy. It makes me sad that you are disregarding, his accomplishments and the message -following your dreams when others believe it's impossible, believing in your own power and capabilities-and instead focusing on you perceptions if what hearing want the deaf to do.

It is absolutely what he said. It is why I posted it, I didn't post it because it shows him wearing hearing aids under his helmet, and that's why this commercial is getting the praise it is on the Internet. You are a thief of joy. It makes me sad that you are disregarding, his accomplishments and the message -following your dreams when others believe it's impossible, believing in your own power and capabilities-and instead focusing on you perceptions if what hearing want the deaf to do.

Did you know that AGBell Foundation would be all very happy about that? They would have no object to the commerical when it come with hearing aids which is what they wanted that very much.

I remembered about Pepsi commerical and it was canceled because AGBell Foundation don't like the ASL demonstration. We were very disappointed that they were not going to show this commercial in the football stadium or on T.V. back then. Comparing between the two commericals.

Not giving a crap, it's not a message about wearing hearing aids. But pursuing dreams. He did, good on him. I applaud him.

Did the video you watched have captions? If you don't know what he said maybe you should? Maybe you'd understand why I posted it and why it's not about hearing aids.

Not giving a crap, it's not a message about wearing hearing aids. But pursuing dreams. He did, good on him. I applaud him.

Did the video you watched have captions? If you don't know what he said maybe you should? Maybe you'd understand why I posted it and why it's not about hearing aids.

I don't think it matters if you can hear the message. The visuals make the most impact.

Laura

The Deaf community here in this area are sharing this all over FB and are inspired! :)

I don't think it matters if you can hear the message. The visuals make the most impact.

Laura

I heartily disagree. Watch it with no captions or no sound if you can understand and then watch it with captions/sound. Much more powerful, doesn't even compare. You don't have the hear the words either, there are captions for it, and not the stupid speech recognition software.

I saw it and see all the points here - I am very happy for him as a person, also as a deaf person and also for him to follow his dream of playing football - yeah, it is something I can applaud :D

I -also - see something that I think Bebonang may mean...if I'm wrong tell me.
But this is what I think I understand too. At least I guess, I understand another aspect from my perspective.

If he didn't use, or wasn't wearing - HAs' in general, or for the commercial- if he was opposed to HA's or didn't get any benefit to use them <if he does> - would he be playing football? Would he be in a commercial for technology?
If he signed and didn't speak in the commercial - would he be in it? If ASL was any part of the commercial - would there be a commercial?

So,I guess I do wonder....

I saw it and see all the points here - I am very happy for him as a person, also as a deaf person and also for him to follow his dream of playing football - yeah, it is something I can applaud :D

I -also - see something that I think Bebonang may mean...if I'm wrong tell me.
But this is what I think I understand too. At least I guess, I understand another aspect from my perspective.

If he didn't use, or wasn't wearing - HAs' in general, or for the commercial- if he was opposed to HA's or didn't get any benefit to use them <if he does> - would he be playing football? Would he be in a commercial for technology?
If he signed and didn't speak in the commercial - would he be in it? If ASL was any part of the commercial - would there be a commercial?

So,I guess I do wonder....

That is what I believe what Bebonang may mean about your post. I haven't seen ASL users in commerical for a long while.

Derek Coleman was featured on NBC Nightly News today, and it showed him doing outreach with deaf kids, and they were inspired by his success.

This makes me smile a lot. :)

Was he signing? :hmm:

I saw it and I don't think he knows ASL Neither did most of the deaf kids in the show but there was one scene where he was speaking to a group of kids with an ASL interpreter. I am happy for him but I didn't like that an interpreter was needed to facilitate communication between deaf people. I have mixed feelings about it but ah...I got myownproblems to worry about right now.

Was he signing? :hmm:

I don't care. He is deaf, and he has succeeded.

He had an interpreter.

He did say that hearing aids do not help him on the field, so I guess you can be happy about that.

I don't care. He is deaf, and he has succeeded.

He had an interpreter.

He did say that hearing aids do not help him on the field, so I guess you can be happy about that.

I know you are disappointed and angry at me, but if hearing aids do not help him to hear while playing on the field. Then he would not have to wear them for playing football. I remembered the quote which he said that he put the nylon stocking over his hearing aids on his head for football playing. He said that it help him be able to wear his hearing aids in his helmet. But in the commerical, there were no nylon stocking shown on the video. Just the white tapes over his hearing aids on his ears. That is just for the commercial. So it is up to him if he wears his hearing aids inside of his helmet or not.

By the way, I would rather have ASL video or commercial (hoping someday we will have that without the interference from the AGBell Foundation) just like Pepsi commercial which was never shown in public like in the Super Bowls back then. I was very upset and disappointed on that. **sigh** :(

I know you are disappointed and angry at me, but if hearing aids do not help him to hear while playing on the field. Then he would not have to wear them for playing football. I remembered the quote which he said that he put the nylon stocking over his hearing aids on his head for football playing. He said that it help him be able to wear his hearing aids in his helmet. But in the commerical, there were no nylon stocking shown on the video. Just the white tapes over his hearing aids on his ears. That is just for the commercial. So it is up to him if he wears his hearing aids inside of his helmet or not.

By the way, I would rather have ASL video or commercial (hoping someday we will have that without the interference from the AGBell Foundation) just like Pepsi commercial which was never shown in public like in the Super Bowls back then. I was very upset and disappointed on that. **sigh** :(
ASL in commercials with deaf people would be great, but I am just really happy about this player succeeding and being recognized.

The "nylon stocking" that you mention was actually panty hose that is mother cut the legs off of and tied for him to use as a kid. The story about it I saw somewhere said that it did work but he has since gone to a scull cap at times.

My partner told me about the guy. It's amazing and the game is on tomorrow. We'll be glued to the tube probably watching the 49ers get slaughtered and we'll be on the lookout for the deaf player. I guess football is mostly visual (you're on a field where the noise level is probably off any db meter scale), so it makes sense and it took one heck of a tough dude to do this.

Thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention.

Back