Deaf Nation Expo/ All Deaf Meet up November Chicago, IL.

I have been to Wicker Park several times. It's full of trendy shops and posh restaurants. Yes, very crime ridden... Also, My friend, a female, lived there with 4 other women for 3 years while she was in medical school. Never had a problem.

C'mon, this is absurd. Anytime you go to a big city, you're risking a little. It doesn't matter what part of town you stay. If people are afraid of crime, they should not go. All I can say is that I've been to Chicago several times, have walked around the streets of it at all hours of the night in a group of people, and never had a problem. Criminals tend to target a single or couple people. As I said, we'll most likely be traveling around in groups.

Staying in a suburb far out of town is not an option to me. I want to be close to the center of activity. I want to walk among the skyscrapers and experience the big city feel. Why would people want to fly into "The Second City" and stay 20 miles out of town?

I suppose it's up to the group, so let's hear what everyone has to say. As for me, I'm not worried about Wicker Park.
That's cool then. I was basing my opinion on the crime stats and that it is next to another suburb that is known for high crime. If you have been there then no worries.

So Far:

Yes-
PFH
The Write Alex
Jiro
CandyBrownEyes

Maybe-
Me <--- Determined to be there!
Alleycat
Daredevil
Chevy57
Shel90
Rockdrummer <--- haven't seen a confirmation yet?

Here is one hotel option:

For 2 nights November 5-7 is $238.00 (the quad suite sleeps 4 people)
the cost split 4 ways would be $59.50

This hotel is within minutes of lounges, dance clubs, scenery such as: A beautiful landmark hotel within walking distance of Navy Pier, shopping on the Magnificent Mile, restaurants, museums and everything else a big city has to offer. Grant Park and other concert and theatre venues are just minutes away.

Free onsite parking, and free WI-FI.

Cancellation & changes policy: 48 hours notice must be given. Late cancellations and/or no shows will be charged the 1st night.

Last edited:
That's cool then. I was basing my opinion on the crime stats and that it is next to another suburb that is known for high crime. If you have been there then no worries.

Sorry, didn't mean to jump on your back there, but yeah, Wicker Park is really a safe and fun area. No need to worry, provided people are smart and don't do stupid things like walk around alone, drunk, at night...

Also, there is a fantastic pizza place/micro brewery in Wicker Park called "Piece." It's thin crust pizza (I am personally not a fan of Chicago deep dish). Would be a great place for a get together, though we'd probably have to wait a long time for a table since they don't take reservations, but eh, plenty of time to chat it up. It's very reasonably priced.

So Far:

Yes-
PFH
The Write Alex
Jiro
CandyBrownEyes

Maybe-
Alleycat
Daredevil
Chevy57
Shel90

I'd do it only if I get to pair up with Daredevil

So Far:

Yes-
PFH
The Write Alex
Jiro
CandyBrownEyes

Maybe-
Alleycat
Daredevil
Chevy57
Shel90

This hotel is within minutes of lounges, dance clubs, scenery such as: A beautiful landmark hotel within walking distance of Navy Pier, shopping on the Magnificent Mile, restaurants, museums and everything else a big city has to offer. Grant Park and other concert and theatre venues are just minutes away.

Free onsite parking, and free WI-FI.

Cancellation & changes policy: 48 hours notice must be given. Late cancellations and/or no shows will be charged the 1st night.
Well if you all don't mind a hearing person being around I would love to join you. I live in the area and would not need any hotel reservations. Only need to know when and where yall are meeting up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, didn't mean to jump on your back there, but yeah, Wicker Park is really a safe and fun area. No need to worry, provided people are smart and don't do stupid things like walk around alone, drunk, at night...

Also, there is a fantastic pizza place/micro brewery in Wicker Park called "Piece." It's thin crust pizza (I am personally not a fan of Chicago deep dish). Would be a great place for a get together, though we'd probably have to wait a long time for a table since they don't take reservations, but eh, plenty of time to chat it up. It's very reasonably priced.
No worries. I didn't know you had been there before and you are right about being smart. I am also a fan of thin crust over deep dish. That place Armands in Elmhurst that I mentioned in the other post has some of the best thin crust I have ever had. But there are many many great pizza places in Chicago and the suburbs that I have never tried before. I am always game for trying a new pizza joint.

Well if you all don't mind a hearing person being around I would love to join you. I live in the area and would not need any hotel reservations. Only need to know when and where yall are meeting up.

Lol, no hearies allowed! :nono:

:D j/k

The more the merrier. Will be a good opportunity for you to practice your ASL!

Sure, but that will cost you a pitcher of beer per hour. I ain't cheap! :D
:lol: It will be interesting to see your signing skills degrade as the pitchers go down.
orpfdv.gif
and then funny to watch you :barf:

:lol: It will be interesting to see your signing skills degrade as the pitchers go down.
orpfdv.gif
and then funny to watch you :barf:

Actually, it will be funny to see you pass out first and then steal your wallet to buy more beer. :D

Actually, it will be funny to see you pass out first and then steal your wallet to buy more beer. :D
:rofl: You do not know who you are dealing with my friend. I will come with no money and borrow from you with empty promises to pay you back one day.

:rofl: You do not know who you are dealing with my friend. I will come with no money and borrow from you with empty promises to pay you back one day.

I always knew you were a freeloading hippie!

Actually, being a grad student, I have an automatic excuse to refuse any requests for money. But, since I'm such a nice guy, I'll go around and help you collect the remaining alcohol in abandoned glasses throughout the bar. What a nice guy I am! :D

I quit smoking almost 4 years ago. Maybe remains of pizza crusts left on abandon plates.... mmmm mmm good

how about SPECIAL cigarettes? :D

Yeah, abandoned crusts wit a bit of da mar'nara sauce. We be in Chicago!

Back