Deaf Med Student Says College Should Provide Him Simultaneous Translation

The ADA statute creates the requirements. Clarifying regulations are in the CFR. The institutions must have a process for requesting accommodations. As part of the process, the applicant must usually appeal to a certain person (e.g., College President). Then, if unsuccessful, the applicant can go to the Dept. of Justice and/or the federal courts.

Here's come basic info:

A Guide to Disability Rights Laws

So if he is smart enough to get by without accomadations (or maybe he did have them before, we don't know) he doesn't deserve equal access? That seems like a very dangerous suggestion. Or is it just because he chooses to have his accomodations in English instead of ASL?

Access, not grades, is the key here.

Again you are misinterpreting. Equal access is not the same thing as providing any accommodation requested. It is an issue of whether he is already receiving equal access without this accommodation, and whether providing additional accommodations will actually create a situation of favortism whereby one student is receiving services that put them at a distinct advantage.

I still say, having gotten into med school, he will have a difficult time, indeed, proving that he needs CART for equal access. As long as he is performing at the same level as his hearing peers in the cohort, he is considered to have equal access. Otherwise, he would not be capable of performing at an equal level.

Equal access is not the same thing as providing any accommodation requested. It is an issue of whether he is already receiving equal access without this accommodation, and whether providing additional accommodations will actually create a situation of favortism whereby one student is receiving services that put them at a distinct advantage.

I still say, having gotten into med school, he will have a difficult time, indeed, proving that he needs CART for equal access. As long as he is performing at the same level as his hearing peers in the cohort, he is considered to have equal access. Otherwise, he would not be capable of performing at an equal level.
Yes. Exactly the way that there are some AP overachiever types whose parents " diagnoses shop" so they can get an IEP, so that they can use the IEP to "get ahead"

Yes. Exactly the way that there are some AP overachiever types whose parents " diagnoses shop" so they can get an IEP, so that they can use the IEP to "get ahead"

I don't know who you know, but I have never heard of a single person doing this. And it is totally unrelated since the person HAS a disability (according to the ADA). He is deaf.

In very competitive places, this does happen. In my state, a particular popular university only takes the top 10% of students. The people who want to go to this university will do *anything* to help their kid make top 10%. Yes, it's obsessive. It's crazy because there are plenty of other good universities to attend (some would say better). The particular university has a very successful football program and that's why it's so popular. It's a social thing.

In very competitive places, this does happen. In my state, a particular popular university only takes the top 10% of students. The people who want to go to this university will do *anything* to help their kid make top 10%. Yes, it's obsessive. It's crazy because there are plenty of other good universities to attend (some would say better). The particular university has a very successful football program and that's why it's so popular. It's a social thing.

In my years of advocating, I have seen it happen as well.

I don't know who you know, but I have never heard of a single person doing this. And it is totally unrelated since the person HAS a disability (according to the ADA). He is deaf.

It isn't unrelated if he is attempting to use the ADA to provide an advantage. The ADA only provides for equal access.

Back