Deaf Med Student Says College Should Provide Him Simultaneous Translation

I disagree. If a deaf person can not access 100% of the material through hearing, why shouldn't they be given it in a visual form (cued speech), so they can have access as well? How is this different than an ASL user wanting an interpreter?

He is not asking for just a visual form. He is demanding transcription services. That is the whole point.

He is not asking for just a visual form. He is demanding transcription services. That is the whole point.

Print is the visual form of English. He has also requested cued speech, with is a visual representation of the phenomes of spoken English.

Print is the visual form of English. He has also requested cued speech, with is a visual representation of the phenomes of spoken English.

i am well aware of what print and CS are, faire jour.

Perhaps you missed the part in the OP that stated he was requesting Realtime Transcription Services. There are other accommodations that will provide him visual access.

i am well aware of what print and CS are, faire jour.

Perhaps you missed the part in the OP that stated he was requesting Realtime Transcription Services. There are other accommodations that will provide him visual access.

Real-time captioning would give him a visual representaion of the spoken English because he can not access the auditory information. I think this is an appropriate accomodation for a person with a hearing loss whose language is English. This is a way to make the field level, so that he has the same access as a hearing student.

Real-time captioning would give him a visual representaion of the spoken English because he can not access the auditory information. I think this is an appropriate accomodation for a person with a hearing loss whose language is English. This is a way to make the field level, so that he has the same access as a hearing student.

I guess Realtime captioning at universities is only a matter of time. It is occassional during today's live broadcasts on news programs when it was non-existent just a few years ago. Man, I wish I had Realtime captioning when I was a college student, since it would have made a huge difference. :)

There are also other accommodations that provide a visual representation of the lecture material without having to use Realtime Captioning.

Reasonableness is a matter of the available technology and how expensive it is. It's probably only a matter of time before this is offered. The question is how quickly.

My kid's school just got fancy technical white boards that instantly saves notes to the teacher's website. The teacher doesn't even allow the kids to take notes. You just log on to get the notes. Great for keeping up if you're absent. This school is well funded and not all of the schools get them. Eventually, all of the schools will have them.

Reasonableness is a matter of the available technology and how expensive it is. It's probably only a matter of time before this is offered. The question is how quickly.

My kid's school just got fancy technical white boards that instantly saves notes to the teacher's website. The teacher doesn't even allow the kids to take notes. You just log on to get the notes. Great for keeping up if you're absent. This school is well funded and not all of the schools get them. Eventually, all of the schools will have them.

This is quite true. The interpretation of "reasonable accommodation" often is determined by funding for that particular institution.

I had realtime captioning when I was a student at ASU before I learned ASL. It was very very difficult to take in so much reading at such a rapid pace. I dont think I really processed the infomation well but if it works for someone else, great. Just cant imagine having to read all the medical terminology and have to process it all in such a short time.

I had realtime captioning when I was a student at ASU before I learned ASL. It was very very difficult to take in so much reading at such a rapid pace. I dont think I really processed the infomation well but if it works for someone else, great. Just cant imagine having to read all the medical terminology and have to process it all in such a short time.

That is true. Keeping up with realtime captioning almost requires speed reading. And, given this is medical school, he no doubt would still require a notetaker and some other form of print of the lecture. So the captioning would be redundant.

We tried using realtime with films that are not closed captioned that professors sometimes use in classes. All my students said they would rather have a terp, or a synopsis in print.

That is true. Keeping up with realtime captioning almost requires speed reading. And, given this is medical school, he no doubt would still require a notetaker and some other form of print of the lecture. So the captioning would be redundant.

We tried using realtime with films that are not closed captioned that professors sometimes use in classes. All my students said they would rather have a terp, or a synopsis in print.

Once I learned ASL and got ASL terps, I was able to understand and keep up with the lectures. English in print or oral terps were too hard on my eyes and trying to process information in such a limited way was mentally exhausting. Not worth it.

I am curious as to what Realtime Captioning looks like. Is it a single line, like that of a ticker tape, or what? I am a speed reader but even with an interpreter, I find I need to look away from him/her in order to jot down notes.

I am curious as to what Realtime Captioning looks like. Is it a single line, like that of a ticker tape, or what? I am a speed reader but even with an interpreter, I find I need to look away from him/her in order to jot down notes.

The way it worked when we used it for films was 2 line. But the first line was being deleted as the second line was being put up.

The way it worked when we used it for films was 2 line. But the first line was being deleted as the second line was being put up.

Just like two lines of captioning on television, eh? Gosh, that blows! :lol:

Last edited:
Once I learned ASL and got ASL terps, I was able to understand and keep up with the lectures. English in print or oral terps were too hard on my eyes and trying to process information in such a limited way was mentally exhausting. Not worth it.

And that is great for you. This person doesn't want an interpreter. He wants access to a visual form of the spoken English. That seems reasonable to me.

And that is great for you. This person doesn't want an interpreter. He wants access to a visual form of the spoken English. That seems reasonable to me.

Requesting a visual form of the lecture is reasonable. That can be accomplished, as stated prior, in any number of ways. Demanding that it be realtime transcription is not reasonable, and the ADA does not provide for the accommodation of choice. It simply provides for reasonable accommodations that will provide equal access.

Seconded! And after 3-5 hours of reading real-time captioning daily, your brain doesn't want to touch the textbooks anymore!

Seconded! And after 3-5 hours of reading real-time captioning daily, your brain doesn't want to touch the textbooks anymore!

Granted. And while the lectures are important, and a student does need equal access to voiced material, they also need to be left able to read the textbooks for the information that supplements and clarifies the lecture.

:lol: I laughed at "they also need to be left able" :rofl:

Remind me when I went through 7 hours of CART...went home... turned on the TV and puked into the garbage can when the commercial break was over and closed captioning popped up. Felt queasy and hurled again when I opened up my Brave New World novel to study for the exam the day after.

That was a really bad day...

Back