Deaf Man was shot to death in Brooklyn, NY

*mumbles* I've been trying to follow this story for my site, and apparently the media can't do two basic things. One is keep their facts straight. The other is refrain from calling the victim a deaf mute.

The NY Post's headline is 'Deaf-Mute Slain'. The NY ABC affiliate also says 'deaf mute' in their news. A USA-L newsletter email had a copy of the Daily News article which said 'deaf-mute' in the headline, but that is apparently changed on their website.

As for the facts:
The TV station says he was shot at 'around 1:45 am'
NY post says 'about 1:40 am'
Daily news says 'just after 1:30 am'
NY Times says 'at 1:30'
They are giving exact times, in a fifteen minute time span.

The TV station states that he died at the hospital. The Post says he was pronounced deaf on arrival at the hospital. The other newspapers preferred guts to facts, and didn't mention the hospital. The Daily news states that he was shot twice in the back, and once in the side. Other news articles state three times in the back.
His age is given as either 24 or 25.

some links:
Ny Post
NY times
Daily News
ABC station
Good news is that there is a $1,000 reward out now.

I guarantee you that all cities and suburbs has a bad area to live and good place to live... so it's a matter of place where u're at... ;)

ppls

I'm telling you... I live in nyc. I used to headed out nyc around here pretty lots. NYC is not bad place at all. Here's peoples are totally no DISREPECT,MEAN, ETC... They are fuckin' not nice at all that which I HATE!, That's all. Damn..They need to learn be nice and more respects mofo! Well.. Of course all over the usa have mad dramtic happened shit too.

Anyways. Kevin Lazare is my friend though. He's cool and nice guy. I know him pretty that long, but I haven't see him for less a year now. Few days ago, I've found it all over about him on news. I'm mad pissed off at who's his killer. Hoesntly, STUPID peoples! sighs* I still love him no matter what. RIP KEVIN LAZARE 1979-2004* :tears: :tears:

I wasn't sure if the deaf guy was friend with one of the AD member here... so it was your friend... I'm sorry to hear what happened to him... you're right NYC is a good place to visit and all... Even though where I live in Denver, Colorado where I live is a good area but there are a bad area if you live then something possibly happen there... even good thing can happen in a good area... It's impossible to predict where things will happen to ppl or anything... Oh well life does go on...

Update about reward offered

Reward Offered For Killer of Deaf Mute Man

By Jeff Pegues

(Brownsville-WABC, January 24, 2004) — A reward is being offered Saturday for the killer of a Brooklyn man -- gunned down after he left a basketball game. Kevin Lazare -- who was a deaf mute -- was fatally shot as he waited for a bus.

Adding to the family's grief -- no arrests so far in this case. Police are investigating and looking into the possibility Kevin Lazare's murder is connected to another shooting three years ago. Police Commissioner Ray Kelly tells Eyewitness News that the Brooklyn man was shot at in 2001.

A grief stricken grandmother makes a plea to the community for help. It happens at the corner of Hegeman and Rockaway Avenue -- where someone gunned down 25-year old Kevin Lazare. A man who was deaf and mute. He may not have heard his killer's demands.

Kenneth Mano, Stepfather: "I lost my son senselessly. It is a tragedy that I can't seem to understand right now."

In a show of support for the family -- those who knew him have built a makeshift memorial to the victim. It stands just feet away from the police tape that marks the scene of the crime.

Early Friday morning as he waited for a bus, Kevin Lazare was shot several times in the back. Police don't know if robbery was the motive -- less than $10 was found in his pocket.

Ted Gustus, Kevin's Friend: "They say he was a deaf mute, but I'll tell you one thing...he had a tremendous way of communicating with people...communicating with his smile...his body gestures...always there to help someone."

There is a $1,000 reward for information leading to an arrest. It's being offered by the organization "100 Blacks in Law Enforcement Who Care."

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/wabc_012404_reward.html

LiLyxLui said:
ppls

I'm telling you... I live in nyc. I used to headed out nyc around here pretty lots. NYC is not bad place at all. Here's peoples are totally no DISREPECT,MEAN, ETC... They are fuckin' not nice at all that which I HATE!, That's all. Damn..They need to learn be nice and more respects mofo! Well.. Of course all over the usa have mad dramtic happened shit too.

Anyways. Kevin Lazare is my friend though. He's cool and nice guy. I know him pretty that long, but I haven't see him for less a year now. Few days ago, I've found it all over about him on news. I'm mad pissed off at who's his killer. Hoesntly, STUPID peoples! sighs* I still love him no matter what. RIP KEVIN LAZARE 1979-2004* :tears: :tears:

Awww What happened to him?

You don't know that...

New York is not one of top 10 for most crimes include thief, murder, rape, etc.

You see... The highest crimes is St. Louis. Less 1 millions people, the percent is nearly 30 percent. Just compare to New York City has over 10 millions and yet only less 15% or less. That mean, there are narrow 1.5 millions crimes in New York. There are many professional crimes in New York, they don't usually kill deaf for no reason. St. Louis is more like dumb crimes.

What I am saying is.. New York City Police Department are very impressive, they work so hard to put safe on the street in NYC. So, there are narrow 8.5 millions people are at good side.

illustrator said:
New York is not one of top 10 for most crimes include thief, murder, rape, etc

No one is saying that New York is the most crime!!!...*Sigh*...

illustrator said:
You see... The highest crimes is St. Louis. Less 1 millions people, the percent is nearly 30 percent. Just compare to New York City has over 10 millions and yet only less 15% or less. That mean, there are narrow 1.5 millions crimes in New York. There are many professional crimes in New York, they don't usually kill deaf for no reason. St. Louis is more like dumb crimes.

Illustrator is right, St. Louis is the unsafest city to be in, but not the worst place for homicide.

St. Louis has a crime rate of 150.2 per 1,000 and that is a lot. Especially the fact that it has a population of only 350,336!

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/unsafest_cities/

Washington, D.C. is the city with the highest homicide rate in the USA. Therefore, it make the city the Murder Capital of USA.

http://www.safestreetsdc.com/subpages/murdercap.doc

New York City is the second safest city to live in thanks to Rudy, the former mayor with a crime rate of only 33.2 per 1,000. The first is San Jose in California with a crime rate of 27.5 per 1,000.

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/safest_cities/

Back