Deaf Man was shot to death in Brooklyn, NY

R

Redhead

January 23, 2004, 9:12 PM EST

A deaf and mute Brooklyn man was fatally shot early Friday while waiting to catch a bus home after basketball practice, police said.

Kevin Lazare, 25, of East New York, was waiting near a B15 bus shelter at Rockaway and Hegeman avenues in Brownsville when he was shot three times in the back, police said.

Lazare, who had left a nearby recreational center a few hours before the 1:30 a.m. shooting, was taken to Brookdale Hospital Center. He clung to life for several hours before dying, his stepfather, Kenneth Mano, said.

It was not clear, authorities said, how many people were involved in the shooting or how many shots were fired. Police, who said they had no suspects or motives, were still searching for witnesses.

At the Millford Avenue home where Lazare's family was already grieving the murder of his father in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, only two weeks ago, family members said they were convinced Kevin Lazare was the victim of an unprovoked attack.

Police said they had ruled out robbery because they found a few dollars in Lazare's wallet.

"I don't think this guy had enemies," Mano said. "He was just a good, good guy. You could ask anything of him."

"He can handle himself," he added. "You gotta know that this guy is deaf and mute to know that he's handicapped. Otherwise, he looks like an ordinary guy."

Mano said he had given Lazare $10 on Thursday night, before he left for the Brooklyn Recreational Center, a Police Athletic League facility at IS 275. The bus stop is in front of the center.

A plastic bag in a bedroom of the home held blood-stained items recovered by police: blue basketball trunks, black jeans and a gray down jacket with three bullet piercings on its back. Police also returned Lazare's Police Athletic League identification card.

"The only thing he liked was his basketball," Kevin's mother, Kathleen Lazare, said at the bus shelter minutes after a cardboard box containing five votive candles was placed there in a makeshift memorial.

"This is madness!" a family friend shouted as Kathleen Lazare arrived at the scene with two bouquets of flowers. "A man can be walking down the street and nobody sees nothing! Nobody cares!"

Family members said Lazare, who was born deaf and mute, spent most of his evenings practicing his three-point shots at the center.

When not working for his stepfather's construction business, they said, he spent most of his time in the the neighborhood around IS 275. His mother owns a tailor shop a few blocks away, and his aunt lives nearby.

Lazare, who graduated from George Westinghouse High School, was attending a vocational training school, Mano said.

On Thursday, Lazare picked up his sister, Kareen Mano, from school, before heading to the center, his mother said.

Friday, Kareen, 12, sat in the family's living room surrounded by grieving relatives.

"When I heard he got shot, I thought he would survive," she said. "But he passed away. I never thought he would die."

Crimestoppers is offering a $2,000 reward for information leading to an arrest in the case. Calls to 800-577-TIPS will be kept confidential.

Staff writer Sean Gardiner contributed to this story.
Copyright © 2004, Newsday, Inc. | Article licensing and reprint options

It was so sad to hear that. Ill pray for this family.

Redhead :fly:

Yes I know me too. I just want to share with deaf ppl. I am sorry that it's really bother you. :-(

Redhead :fly:

What a sad ! I will be prayin' for his family ...

now what next!! last monday deaf woman shot in her face and alive.... now that deaf man dead by shot... what is wrong with those ppl!!!!

i know i sounds mean but i am sorry about his family....

You know I have seen Brooklyn New York crimes On TV. Brooklyn, New York is a bad area where crimes, shooting, drugs ... People go off shooting for no reasons sometimes Thinking it thrill them but it doesn't thrill American people who are watching this in news or newspaper. That is why I do not go Downtown Cleveland unless I have to during the day but not where there are less people around or at nights. I feel sorry for the guy's family Hope this shooter will be caught and put in prison for a life time. or death penalty! I'm tired of people getting killed expertly Children too. Why? Do they have to do this!

so sad news!!!!!! he was at the wrong place at the wrong time :(

i pray for the family and share in their grief and sorrow -- hes now in the hands of God and is watching over his family im sure

MizzDeaf is right -- first the woman earlier in the week and now this latest victim of shootings -- what is indeed wrong with those ppl who thinks shooting is the best solution to conflicts and in the end its the innocent that are injured badly or killed!!! *sigh*

VamPyroX said:
That sucks! I can't believe no one saw a thing! :eek:
me too.. but 1:30 am is pretty late where many people will be sleeping...

hope they got those guys so devil can have their spirts..

VamPyroX said:
That sucks! I can't believe no one saw a thing! :eek:

Its at 130 am.. Who can see what happened most people are drunk around that time before bar is closing..or don't want to get involved... It's safe to be with someone if u are going out late at night or going home.. always be with someone not alone...It's a dangerous world out there

*gasp!* sorry, cheri. im gonna have to argue with you this... New York City is NOT a bad area, New York City is really HUGE city with 5 different boroughs (b'klyn is one of em) and depends on which streets they have are bad (thats like several out of thousands of streets or whatever). There are definitely ALOT of good places to go in the city more than bad areas. Ive gone to B'klyn many times on my own, yes alone, because there are some good areas to hang out, my good friend lives there too. Thanks to Guiliani the former mayor to change everything in 8 years. However, my understanding is that you are from Ohio, I have a sister and bro in law from Ohio, too. Of course, my sister brought her husband and friends from Ohio to NYC to prove them how fanastic and extreme funs NYC was! They were like they wanted to go to NY again next time my sister visits here.

The area where guy got shot was probably bad or he just happened to be bad luck. I feel very sorry for him and his family they are going through double grieve. It is very tragic. I don't know him though and its very horrifying to learn he got shot in his back which sounded like he was unaware what was going on. I got to keep my eyes all around me where I go to. It doesn't matter how bad and good areas you are in, anything could happen.

Last edited:
e said:
*gasp!* sorry, cheri. im gonna have to argue with you this... New York City is NOT a bad area, New York City is really HUGE city with 5 different boroughs (b'klyn is one of em) and depends on which streets they have are bad (thats like several out of thousands of streets or whatever). There are definitely ALOT of good places to go in the city more than bad areas. Ive gone to B'klyn many times on my own, yes alone, because there are some good areas to hang out, my good friend lives there too. Thanks to Guiliani the former mayor to change everything in 8 years. However, my understanding is that you are from Ohio, I have a sister and bro in law from Ohio, too. Of course, my sister brought her husband and friends from Ohio to NYC to prove them how fanastic and extreme funs NYC was! They were like they wanted to go to NY again next time my sister visits here.

The area where guy got shot was probably bad or he just happened to be bad luck. I feel very sorry for him and his family they are going through double grieve. It is very tragic. I don't know him though and its very horrifying to learn he got shot in his back which sounded like he was unaware what was going on. I got to keep my eyes all around me where I go to. It doesn't matter how bad and good areas you are in, anything could happen.

Ok.. But I don't know which part of Brooklyn That had the highest Crimes Cuz, When I was watching the HBO Specials they had stories about crimes, drugs, rape, murder and It was in New York .. I didn't know they had more than just one brooklyn area in New York.

Cheri said:
Ok.. But I don't know which part of Brooklyn That had the highest Crimes Cuz, When I was watching the HBO Specials they had stories about crimes, drugs, rape, murder and It was in New York .. I didn't know they had more than just one brooklyn area in New York.

E is right. Not all the NYC is a bad area. Some area in Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx and Manhattan also Long Island too. One town away from mine is not really bad but just bad for people to walk in dark at night.

In 1987, I rode a bike to that town at very late night to see my old teacher and needed her help. The few black boys (I was the only white person in that town) saw me riding the bike on their street and they were chasing after me and I rode so fast to find security car were parking on the street and I asked him for his help (I caught he was doing the pot), he got out of the car to protect me from the boys. The boys left. He told me that he will drive behind my bike to my hometown. I said ok and I rode all the way to the border of my hometown. I learned my lesson to not ride a bike to that town.

My point is I went to few bad area with my friends and we were careful with it and didnt want to argue with the ppl or make fun of them. We just simple walk away. I know the dead man didnt do anything. He was at the wrong place and wrong time. So are everyone.

You know not just NYC, other states and countries too. The world isnt so perfect. Every minutes people got killed, raped, robbery and more.

sigh, I dont like the way ppl look at NYC is a BAD to go visit or to live. It isnt really bad as you thought it was. Well, ppl have their opinions abt it.

Redhead said:
You know not just NYC, other states and countries too. The world isnt so perfect. Every minutes people got killed, raped, robbery and more.

sigh, I dont like the way ppl look at NYC is a BAD to go visit or to live. It isnt really bad as you thought it was. Well, ppl have their opinions abt it.

Did I said that New York was the ONLY Bad area?? No I did not said that... I said about Brooklyn What I saw on HBO.. I know everywhere has crimes, raped, drugs etc. I never said that New York was bad either... I have never visit New York But I have no problem in the Future visiting New York I live in Cleveland and Part of Downtown Cleveland is bad.. I admit and I even said it up above.. *sigh*

i know what ya mean Cheri. its kinda annoying when people were talking about specific bad areas in NYC and it made everyone thinks how small and horrible city was. its actually 100000x bigger than you thought from the HBO show about crimes in the city. the city improved alot though out in the 90s and i feel safe hanging out there on my own anytime i like to. ;)

Redhead said:
E is right. Not all the NYC is a bad area. Some area in Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx and Manhattan also Long Island too. One town away from mine is not really bad but just bad for people to walk in dark at night.

In 1987, I rode a bike to that town at very late night to see my old teacher and needed her help. The few black boys (I was the only white person in that town) saw me riding the bike on their street and they were chasing after me and I rode so fast to find security car were parking on the street and I asked him for his help (I caught he was doing the pot), he got out of the car to protect me from the boys. The boys left. He told me that he will drive behind my bike to my hometown. I said ok and I rode all the way to the border of my hometown. I learned my lesson to not ride a bike to that town.

My point is I went to few bad area with my friends and we were careful with it and didnt want to argue with the ppl or make fun of them. We just simple walk away. I know the dead man didnt do anything. He was at the wrong place and wrong time. So are everyone.

Whoa.....

I can see some misunderstanding here... Cheri did not say ' All NewYork ' is a bad area ....She said ' Part of Brooklyn in New York ' is a bad area....When I read her post I did not find anything wrong and she did not stated that the whole NewYork City is a bad state nor a bad area.....I live in Ohio and Cleveland City has some bad areas too....No one is saying NYC Is a bad state to visit or live... ;)

Please read her post again.....

And btw, I would LOVE to visit NewYork City!! :thumb:

To tell you the truth, I thought that NYC was a dangerous place to live, until some people who lived in NYC told me that it's a beautiful place to live and has some suburbs that is nice as well. Like Angel said, I would love to go and visit everywhere in the state of New York someday too! It's just that the tv shows usually showed lots of crimes, etc in NYC that caused many people to think it's a bad place to live, but for most part, it is not.

Back