Deaf Lesbians Criticized For Efforts to Create Deaf Child

People don't object with her decision but they will object the deaf lesbian's choices, we cannot win!!!

The way I see that it is this way is because deafness is a disability, and many of us know the hardship we face sometimes because we cannot hear. If you say you don't live a hard life...more power to you, but a lot of us really do have a hard time sometimes. It's one reason some people want to avoid having deaf babies because of the disability itself that makes life a little hard. The woman who had a cochlear implant named Beverly (can't remember last name) wrote Wired For Sounds. Her father side has the deaf genes, and she endured a lot of harship. She opted to adopt instead.

There's a reason for the difference. I think that trying to make a deaf child because you're just like them is an immature choice IMO.

a hearing mother went through a IVF to make sure she will not produce a deaf baby because of her family's deaf genes, she want to have a hearing baby with her hearing husband.
Good point.....how is that any different then this scenerio? People were probaly like "Yay! The baby isn't going to be deaf!"
Was the IVF through the national health care system? If it was I think perhaps the genetic deafness might have been a syndrome that was a little more complicated then deafness. They are very strict on the national health care system, and only the absolute worst cases get priotized.
I think that trying to make a deaf child because you're just like them is an immature choice IMO.
What about the hearing parent who didn't want a deaf child?

deafdyke said:
Good point.....how is that any different then this scenerio? People were probaly like "Yay! The baby isn't going to be deaf!"
Was the IVF through the national health care system? If it was I think perhaps the genetic deafness might have been a syndrome that was a little more complicated then deafness. They are very strict on the national health care system, and only the absolute worst cases get priotized.
What about the hearing parent who didn't want a deaf child?

i agree Deafdyke!

I think it would be extremely hard to raise a deaf child in an environment that isn't too deaf friendly. For starters, there might not be good LOCAL education programs-- and I'd have to send away my own child to a boarding school in middle of nowhere. I would truly hate to do that! I do feel fortunate that I found I don't have the deaf genes to make a deaf baby. If by chance, my baby did turn out to be deaf-- I sure as hell wouldn't reject him or her! Gonna just love that baby as much as I am capable of. Will never make her or him feel bad about being deaf.

This is surely a sticky issue!

Technically, that lesbian couple just used a donor they knew to be deaf and to have a strong deaf genetic background-- I just see it as a way of increasing their chances to have a deaf baby, and it might've been silly to do that. Nothing more, nothing less. It still doesn't change the fact-- once done, and given birth-- that deaf baby deserves to live, anyway. *shrugs* As THAT deaf child, how would you feel knowing a society DIDNT want you to exist regardless of your parents' intentions? Now it's not just about deafness, or an unwanted genetic thing... it's about a REAL person, as a consequence of possibly silly decisions. See... sticky ;) Still up to the parents though... and remember how alexander graham bell wanted it-- sterilize deaf couples so they wouldn't have more deaf babies. Sticky.

Last edited:
Baby Law Shake-up

Parents may be allowed to have "designer babies" to save the life of a sick brother or sister.

New pressure may force the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority to relax its rules and let parents screen their IVF embroys to "grow" transplant donors.

Fertility expert Dr M Taranissi says the present law is inconsistent over who can screen embryos for specific purposes and who cannot.

copyright from sunday mirror.

The way I see that it is this way is because deafness is a disability, and many of us know the hardship we face sometimes because we cannot hear
So deafness is a disabilty....so what? I do consider deafness a disabilty but that doesn't mean I consider it bad. I consider disabilty to be a nautral part of the range of human variance. I am a disabilty rights activist as well, and many of my dis rights peers say that it's not their disabilty which causes all their problems....it's the way people treat them! If people treated them equally and didn't think that they were unabled b/c of their differences, then disabilty wouldn't matter. I have faced discrimination and prejudice b/c of my disabilties but I have also faced prejduce and discrimination b/c I am a woman...but I'd never have a sex change or turn my back on my sex b/c of the prejudices and discrimination I face as a woman.

many of us know the hardship we face sometimes because we cannot hear

Many of us too end up in hardship. I don't think like you because I know that if I were hearing it'd be easier in one part of my life. I wouldn't have to depend on anything other than myself. I have never liked interpreters and having a hard time not being able to converse among people. You don't encounter too many people that'll wait for you because it's a natural process of humans. I do agree that more could be tolerable of us, but I don't expect them to bow at us to treat us with 100 percent respect. It doesn't happen. I have never had a problem with discrimination as a women, but only my deafness which can make it doubly hard.

You may not know how that child will feel once he learns he was made deaf by the parents and end up not having a life like you, but may end up like mine--doesn't matter if he has deaf parents to guide him. It could go either way, but I sure know that if the child were heairng, he wouldn't hate himself because he's hearing. The deaf parents have to adjust to hearing kids as to not make their lives miserable and grow up fast.

I just see the story in a different viewpoint because I grew up much different than you, whereas I am for hearing and agree with cochlear implants. I have met many others who would have the same feelings I have and would opt for hearing as a way to take away one part of hardship.

I don't think like you because I know that if I were hearing it'd be easier in one part of my life. I wouldn't have to depend on anything other than myself. I have never liked interpreters and having a hard time not being able to converse among people.
You don't KNOW that it would be easier. Ever seen the movie At First Sight?
(a movie about a blind guy who became sighted and then realized that being sighted wasn't all that) Maybe being hearing would be amazing....but then again maybe hearing(like a hearing person, as we dhh, even those of us w/ conductive losses do not hear like hearing people) wouldn't be as wonderful as you'd expect. I speak from experiance. I have a type of loss which can be surgically corrected (born with no eardrums and no ear canal with fused ossicles) I actually did opt to undergo surgery to become hearing...and it did work for awhile. Initally I loved it...it was amazing being able to hear and I remember waking up in the hospital room and being able to hear like a hearing person. It lasted for a month or so and then I lost my hearing again. All I can say is thank god it did. It really helped me come to terms with my being deaf.
I am very independant and my being deaf doesn't change that..Why do you consider a 'terp a crutch? Why is understanding something 100% a crutch? Even hearing people say "What?" a lot!

I do agree that more could be tolerable of us, but I don't expect them to bow at us to treat us with 100 percent respect. It doesn't happen. I have never had a problem with discrimination as a women, but only my deafness which can make it doubly hard.
I never said that people would treat us with 100% respect, but even baby steps can improve the journey to equality.
You may not know how that child will feel once he learns he was made deaf by the parents and end up not having a life like you, but may end up like mine--doesn't matter if he has deaf parents to guide him. It could go either way, but I sure know that if the child were heairng, he wouldn't hate himself because he's hearing. The deaf parents have to adjust to hearing kids as to not make their lives miserable and grow up fast.
No I don't know how the child will react to finding something like that out....however with Deaf parents chances are that he won't even think twice about the fact that he's deaf. I don't think twice about the fact that I am a bookworm or middle class or a girl.

I just see the story in a different viewpoint because I grew up much different than you, whereas I am for hearing and agree with cochlear implants. I have met many others who would have the same feelings I have and would opt for hearing as a way to take away one part of hardship.
Oh, you'd be surprised....I think we did grow up very simlair...I grew up oral myself (narrowly missing the chance to become fluent in Sign not once but twice!) I don't really care if a deafie decides to explore the hard of hearing world. What I do give a shit about is when they get caught up in "expert" opinons that hard of hearing people have more in common with hearing people then with deaf people. What I do give a shit about is when they think it's an "either or" choice when it comes to being a part of the deaf world or the hearing world...when they get caught up by binaries in other words. It is possible to treasure hearing and be able to be a part of the hearing world and yet be able to Sign and be a part of the Deaf World.
BTW, I agree with CIs in some cases...I just don't think they're appropreate in a lot of cases....and yes, I do believe that CIers can be Deaf (just the same way a hoher can be Deaf and a hearing person with apraxia or other condition which inhibits speech and uses ASL can be Deaf)

At First Sight?
(a movie about a blind guy who became sighted and then realized that being sighted wasn't all that)

I think the movie is fake, so that's not reality.

Why do you consider a 'terp a crutch? Why is understanding something 100% a crutch? Even hearing people say "What?" a lot!

Because they are there with you at all time that you need them, they are with you in your doctor's business despite the confidentiality which doesn't make anything any better. I have had bad experiences with interpeters except with one all from 7th-12th grade! They are not what they are cracked up to be. They suck. You can argue, but I can tell you I simply do not like them one bit, and I'd rather be asking, "what?" like a hard of hearing person than depend on an interpreter. I guess you never experienced a sucky life with interpreters?

Well, you have my opinion, and I have mine, but I really have no further to discuss here because it's getting way off topic. I think I gave out my last opinion on what I THINK it is on that matter.

If you want to argue, let's take it to PM.

deafdyke said:
So deafness is a disabilty....so what? I do consider deafness a disabilty but that doesn't mean I consider it bad. I consider disabilty to be a nautral part of the range of human variance. I am a disabilty rights activist as well, and many of my dis rights peers say that it's not their disabilty which causes all their problems....it's the way people treat them! If people treated them equally and didn't think that they were unabled b/c of their differences, then disabilty wouldn't matter. I have faced discrimination and prejudice b/c of my disabilties but I have also faced prejduce and discrimination b/c I am a woman...but I'd never have a sex change or turn my back on my sex b/c of the prejudices and discrimination I face as a woman.

well said, DeafDyke!

That's exactly how I feel about it.... I'm anti-discrimation of any kinds, whenever it be on nationality, gender, sexuality, etc....

The only reason why deaf or other people with disablities has such hard times is because of the idiotic way people act sometimes.

You have no idea how many times many people act like I'm really stupid and need to be told something like six times just because I'm deaf... and many times I've had to say: "I understood you the first time, okay? I'm deaf, NOT STUPID! there's a BIG difference!"

Grrrr. and being an woman myself, it only adds to it when many men and sometimes hearing woman act like I'm really very frail and helpless, that I need to be helped all the time when I don't really need to be helped all the time.

I live on my own, I pay my bills and such just like anybody else... I don't people to help me across the street like I was some old lady and the like. I could go on, but then this would turn into a rant.

stupid people create discrimation/ingorance and hardships for those with handicaps, not the people with the disablites.

it's amazing to see how many people seem to think it's the way around...

Deaf Baby

I think those dykes are stupid to create a handicapped baby. Deafness is a handicap, not a culture. Deaf people did not create deafness, but they create cultures related to their deafness. A child deserves to be born with all the senses intact and to take away a human's sense is downright cruel.

I am not bothered by the idea of "designer babies" and in fact, they may be better for our future but to have a sense removed from "designer babies" is truly destructive.

-jeff

Heh. I was an designer baby.... and my mother wanted me to be deaf.

you see, in my family we have this werid gene in which we grew up having hearing for only a few years in then it would eventally diminsh down to the point where I needed an hearing aid.

You know what? I'd rather be deaf than hearing....

There's way too much noise in the world, and there's a lot of things you'd be better off not hearing. for that reason, I can be quite content with my deafness in that I can just shut out all the idiots who want to verbally abuse me and so on forth.

I'm glad that my mother did choose that for me.

those children would be quite happy growing up..... unless you'd be one of those idiots who would go around giving children with disablites an hard time? Just showing you the fact that there's a lot of people who would just pick on children and even other people, and using thier disablities as an reason is only an poor excuse. They would even do the same thing to hearing people.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. stupid people creates hardships for those with disabilites to just pick on them.... it's not the people with disablities who create the hardships.

However, there's quite a good amount of parents who would ensure that thier children wouldn't get picked on, or be given an hard time.... and being around other deaf people they would grow up relatively happy anyway.

It's not like it's child abuse....

and in many ways an deaf person isn't no different than an hearing person.... many times it isn't even conidsered an disablity for me.... just something I was born with. I know what it was like to be hearing... but I embraced the silence when it came.

so let them do what they want to do, and let them be.

It's not like it's child abuse....

and in many ways an deaf person isn't no different than an hearing person.... many times it isn't even conidsered an disablity for me.... just something I was born with. I know what it was like to be hearing... but I embraced the silence when it came.
Precisely!!! People with physical differences can adapt. They don't nessarily have limitations...they can and do adapt to their differences. It's not like they absolutly positively cannot do anything or it harms the kid mentally or emotionaly. Being deaf just IS, just the way being blind just is.
I'm with you Sailor Auroea, I don't even think twice about the fact that I am dhh, just the way I don't think twice about the fact that I'm a female or have blue eyes.

Sailor Aurora said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. stupid people creates hardships for those with disabilites to just pick on them.... it's not the people with disablities who create the hardships.

And it wasn't stupid people that created hardships, it's your deafness. Your deafness PREVENTS YOU TO HEAR SPEECH. Get it?

-jeff

Netrox, can't YOU get it that some people are fine with not being able to hear speech?

deafdyke said:
Jeff, please don't call us names. How would you like it if I called you a dumbass deaf mute?

I'd not care because it reflects their stupidity. I am not mute. I AM deaf but definitely not mute since I can speak.

Here's a flashline for you: I HAVE THE RIGHT TO CALL THEM DYKES BECAUSE THEY ARE DYKES!

And you call yourself a deafdyke. Don't be a hypocrite. Don't get politically correct with me.

-jeff

Last edited:
kuifje75 said:
Netrox, can't YOU get it that some people are fine with not being able to hear speech?

Sure I get that but the point is that some deaf people want to blame on hearing people for putting up a barrier - it isn't them, it's their deafness. Some hearing people are truly misguided and did methods that do not work for them but the overall point is that they (unless those who are friends or family) are NOT obligated to learn your sign language.

That's why we have a lot of wars between oral and manual camps.

-jeff

kuifje75 said:

That's not quite the point of this newsworthy story. The thing is, these people may be fine with not being able to hear speech.

But they are not fine with their children being able to hear speech. If a deaf couple want to force their child into deafness, then they are not fine with the child being able to hear speech.

You don't wish a disability upon a person, period. Wish what you want upon yourself, but never on a person nor a child.

Back